Author Topic: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?  (Read 202234 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?
« Reply #1225 on: 18 December, 2021, 06:38:45 pm »
I've not been aiming at my <50g carbs per day limit that I have previously used, particulalry when involving bike days.  I'm still probably tending towards <100g/day though.

Ketones measured yesterday - yoga day at 2.7
Ketones measured today post 65km on the bike 2.9

I was wondering whether the CAEK pre-ride would have knocked back the ketones, but seems not
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1226 on: 26 January, 2022, 12:15:30 pm »
After my Christmas indulgence in mince pies, christmas cake, panettone and then a holiday where there was unlimited Nutella I am back losing weight and back into keto!  I started on Sunday with  an 800 calorie keto diet, ran on Sunday/monday, then cycled 70km yesterday on winter bike.  Today no energy!!

« Reply #1227 on: 27 January, 2022, 06:39:00 pm »
I wonder why??? :)

« Reply #1228 on: 27 January, 2022, 06:46:19 pm »
I know, who would have guessed?

« Reply #1229 on: 27 January, 2022, 07:00:18 pm »
I know, who would have guessed?

Don’t forget it’s also somewhat colder than where you holidayed. 

« Reply #1230 on: 02 February, 2022, 09:43:28 pm »
3kgs down on the month. It's easy once you get going!. (Which is easier said than done).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1231 on: 03 February, 2022, 08:31:33 am »
I have found it fine maintaining my weight but I continue to track my food when at home using the YAZIO app.

I am now in the Uk visiting Mum for four days and not tracking food (too fussy, difficult, awkward) and although I’m eating salad lunches as usual I am definitely helping myself to more cheese etc as I am not tracking.

I have a feeling that I will need to continue tracking my food intake pretty much indefinitely as if I don’t then I just go mad eating too much. There’s a reason I’ve been obese my whole life!

Tracking food is Ok, it’s only a few minutes a day, but it does show my lack of self control is never far away…
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1232 on: 03 February, 2022, 11:49:46 am »
I have found it fine maintaining my weight but I continue to track my food when at home using the YAZIO app.

I am now in the Uk visiting Mum for four days and not tracking food (too fussy, difficult, awkward) and although I’m eating salad lunches as usual I am definitely helping myself to more cheese etc as I am not tracking.

I have a feeling that I will need to continue tracking my food intake pretty much indefinitely as if I don’t then I just go mad eating too much. There’s a reason I’ve been obese my whole life!

Tracking food is Ok, it’s only a few minutes a day, but it does show my lack of self control is never far away…

I would agree with this.  A childhood of having to eat everything on the plate with starchy sweet food seen as treat and reward has given me a relatively poor relationship with food.  My wife is the same and we are now in agreement that we will have to watch and weigh all food for the rest of our life to prevent weight gain.  probably with an annual period of abstinence to get rid of the kgs.  One advantage of a wife who is a vicar is the ready made Anglican period of abstinence known as Lent.

« Reply #1233 on: 05 February, 2022, 08:12:31 am »

Yeah, it's very clear I cannot just eat what I want. Slippery slope and all that, but that is exactly what happened. Granted Decembers freefall was a conscious decision, knowing that I would 'reboot' in January, but still shocked at how much weight I put on in 1 month. (In addition to the gain the previous 5 months.)
 The trick will be when we hit overtime again, but there are now a few keto take-away options, I just have to make sure to keep the portion size down too.

« Reply #1234 on: 05 February, 2022, 04:39:59 pm »
I love Keto for feeling well and energy, but on its own without total calorie restrictions it does not work adequately. We now accept that we have to weigh everything we eat. We use MyFitnessPal which seems to work for us. On holiday we tend to take it in turns to order starter or main course and ask for two plates. Good restaurants plate it in the kitchen to look nice, others leave it up to us to partition.
Wine is also a major source of calories I suspect when I am drinking as I like good wine and can easily on holiday go through a couple of cocktails, glass or two of wine and then a whiskey before bed.

« Reply #1235 on: 09 February, 2022, 10:22:22 pm »
So, one issue I still have, is when I'm getting sick. Suspected covid a few weeks back and I really wanted carbs to recover. Same with side-effects from the booster shot (I get them pretty bad, especially with the Moderna). I mean, it's not an issue as I just return to keto afterwards, but I still hate the interrupting and cravings the following day.

« Reply #1236 on: 10 February, 2022, 07:22:12 am »
Snap. Partly I think it is the bodies response.

« Reply #1237 on: 10 February, 2022, 07:39:00 am »
I wonder if I had been in full keto for longer if it would have been different? Admittedly, I didn't fight it very hard. I had (low/non carb) food in the fridge, but my body was 'nope, I need sugar' and I just went 'ok'.

« Reply #1238 on: 10 February, 2022, 12:32:17 pm »
I think for me it is also addiction. When I am low, physically or emotionally, my brain craves a CHO shot.

« Reply #1239 on: 28 March, 2022, 01:23:38 am »
I found out about 'chaffles' this week and figured it was worth a go and got a mini-waffle maker thing and it's surprisingly good!
Highly recommended!
https://www.culinarylion.com/keto-reuben-chaffle-katz-deli-copycat/