Author Topic: Lockdown fitness  (Read 11114 times)

Lockdown fitness
« on: 03 April, 2020, 02:26:16 pm »
Notes and suggestions for keeping fit (other than just a daily walk/run/cycle or endless turbo trainer)

Mon/Wed/Fri:-
* 3 x 5k runs a week (daily outdoor exercise - no chance for cycling) now aim to end it by meeting up with wife/daughter out on their walk - will try and build one run up to 10km
* 100 pushup programme - https://hundredpushups.com/index.html

Tue/Thu/SatOrSun:-
* Walk with family (daily outdoor exercise)
* Leg Blasters - https://sawback.com/articles/leg-blasters/ (whilst outside rather than annoying downstairs neighbours)
* Skipping in the garden (daughter led activity)

Eating meals a lot more regularly now, proper portion control and less snacking and the weight is slowly sliding off.

Cycling and swimming fitness will go to pot, but not worried about that. I'll happily take being Xkg lighter and running/core fit and needing to rebuild cycling/swimming from scratch.

Burpees seem popular but I'll use the current exercises to get my core fitness up a bit first.

Need to do more stretching and other core exercises, luckily I have a terror foam roller and even a bosu ball from recent ankle injury.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Lockdown fitness
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2020, 02:36:40 pm »
Most days
30 minutes Pilates at 7am
1h bike ride at lunchtime

Weekend might be a different/longer bike ride
Some days I might skip Pilates
Some days I might substitute pushing a wheel barrow to the recycling centre for bike ride

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2020, 03:51:01 pm »
Running on alternate days. A bit over 5k on weekdays, 10k at the weekend.
Other days, going for a walk with MrsC as our 'permitted exercise' (we've spent more time walking round the village in the last week than in most years).
I really ought to try some strength exercises.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2020, 04:16:31 pm »
Step repeats - run up steps, walk down steps, run up steps.

Squats

One leg step ups swing other leg up high. Done on fallen trees in woods.

Pull ups on random trees in the woods away from main footpaths

Tricep dips on stairs with bent legs

Planks and press ups

Standing on one leg touch toes with opposite hand, return upright, repeat. Do with other leg as well.

One leg hip raises

Standing jumps.  Mark a line on the grass in your garden or local park. Jumpers, spare socks, whatever you have to hand. Stand behind line. bend legs , swing arms back then uncoil swinging forwards  and mark how far you get. Try and beat your previous best efforts.

Piggy back races if your kids are young and light enough.

Wheel barrow races

Old wheel rims and sticks. Mark out a basic course on grass then race each other round it trying to move rims with sticks like when you were young.

« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:08:05 am »
A bit of jogging, maybe 3 times a week. Arthritic hip won't stand more.

Was starting to paddle 5-10km 3 times a week from home, but there is a huge backlash against that. For some reason, paddling kayak on river is bad, running or cycling is good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:22:27 pm »
I think some of the paddling stuff is that's its unlikely you can paddle from home with the general guidance to not travel to exercise.....im missing my canoeing too.

« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:30:23 pm »
Get up at midday. Beer and crisps for breakfast.

Back to bed for a siesta. Take biscuits in case wake up hungry. Eat biscuits pre-emptively.

Wake up 5pm. Go downstairs and have a congratulatory beer for achieving daily step count.

Telly 5pm until midnight, snacks as and when necessary (ie. all the time)

Nightcap. Bed.

« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2020, 01:40:16 pm »
I think some of the paddling stuff is that's its unlikely you can paddle from home with the general guidance to not travel to exercise.....im missing my canoeing too.
Depends on where you live. My brother in law was told it was OK to travel a short distance (couple of miles) in the car to go surfing. So if you live near to the river you'd be OK...

« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2020, 02:58:29 pm »

Get up at midday. Beer and crisps for breakfast.

Back to bed for a siesta. Take biscuits in case wake up hungry. Eat biscuits pre-emptively.

Wake up 5pm. Go downstairs and have a congratulatory beer for achieving daily step count.

Telly 5pm until midnight, snacks as and when necessary (ie. all the time)

Nightcap. Bed.

:thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:37:05 pm »
I'm hoping things will have calmed down a bit by the time the sea is warm enough for me to swim in. That's absolutely no earlier than mid-June. I can be there in 10 minutes on my bike.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2020, 12:36:41 pm »
We have purchased an exercise bike, which will arrive on Thursday this week...

... you can therefore expect the Covid19 lockdown to be lifted this Friday, as a miracle cure sweeps the planet.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2020, 12:40:49 pm »
We have purchased an exercise bike, which will arrive on Thursday this week...

... you can therefore expect the Covid19 lockdown to be lifted this Friday, as a miracle cure sweeps the planet.

Followed by Basil's post-lockdown rain arriving a couple of months early.

« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2020, 12:40:53 pm »
Can I unashamedly report that I am being particularly crap at this. I've gone from 22 miles/day to nothing. Hardly been out of the front door. Conscious this needs to change. Thank you all for explaining how you're approaching this.
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #13 on: 07 April, 2020, 01:40:06 pm »
Do an hour per day on the exercise bike. We go for a long hike at the weekend (we live by the North Downs, so it's a short walk out into the countryside) and shorter ramble on a Sunday.

I'm tempted by a rowing machine, so my swimming arms don't fall off.

« Reply #14 on: 07 April, 2020, 04:47:35 pm »
I am really fortunate being able to commute to the hospital which gives me 6 hours per week (3 days).

I used to do an hour of Pilates as well but now my wife and I are doing about 20 minutes most days.  Online Pilates classes are really good.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 07 April, 2020, 05:25:57 pm »
Long walk if I have the Little Misses.  Otherwise, either a 2 mile run or a turbo session, or a 10 mile ride.  Something every day.  Fitness is how you knock this thing back.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #16 on: 07 April, 2020, 07:48:21 pm »
I'm hoping things will have calmed down a bit by the time the sea is warm enough for me to swim in. That's absolutely no earlier than mid-June. I can be there in 10 minutes on my bike.
I noted a chap swimming in the sea near us yesterday. He was certainly OK with the social distancing business.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #17 on: 07 April, 2020, 08:33:33 pm »
I'm exercising at least once on most days. Getting up an hour later than usual and doing half an hour on the exercise bike most mornings and still ready and logged in by 8/8:30. I'm liking this not getting the train to work side of things at least.

And then I'm either taking a long lunch and going for a bike ride by myself or a walk (sometimes combined with a shopping trip) with my partner. Monday I had off work and I decided to weightlift for the first time since I had a tummy bug mid Feb. I kept to just warmup weights and even with that I'm sore today.

Aiming to up the weightlifting and start doing some yoga in the evenings. My flexibility is awful.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #18 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:27:37 pm »
Currently purchasing a rowing machine (I was contemplating taking up kayaking this summer, so it might hurt less if I get around to it, the last time I kayaked was in the Florida Everglades about fifteen years ago, I think East Sussex will have fewer alligators).

I am going to be like He-Man when this is over.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:47:01 pm »

Camp and poorly animated?

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #20 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:50:55 pm »

;D
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #21 on: 07 April, 2020, 09:57:24 pm »

I merely prepare the ground for these.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #22 on: 07 April, 2020, 10:05:37 pm »
A daily dog walk (about an hour) plus turbo trainer (about 45mins at the moment) and pilates 4/5 times a week.

« Reply #23 on: 22 April, 2020, 08:18:02 pm »
Almost done with the Strava April Walk Challenge (15h of walking in April, doesn't include running).
    63.0 km - 13h 56m

Just another 1h4m walk which I should get done by the weekend (run tomorrow and Saturday, and Friday's walk will be a family one that's under an hour so it'll require Sunday's walk to tip me over 15h).

Also on track to do ~70km of running in April. (Aiming for 80km in May)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #24 on: 22 April, 2020, 08:31:38 pm »
Here's a weird one...

Normal working day: 12 mile commute at brisk pace, twice a day, 3 days a week. During day I rarely sit, or stand still. Maybe 3 runs a week.

Lockdown: No commute. 3 runs a week. 30 mile ride most days.

Resting pulse rate has gone from about 46 bpm to 60.

Vo2 max, however, has increased by 3 (garmin)

So one marker suggests that I am fitter, the other that I am less fit  ;D