Author Topic: Beef burgers?  (Read 19935 times)

Re: Beef burgers?
« Reply #25 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:12:28 am »
So that's were Shergar went

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:14:37 am »
Hmmm, burger improved with a dash of hock.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #27 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:24:14 am »
IF Tesco and all the others have proper traceability programmes in their supply chain, it should be possible to identify the source of the meat that was processed into burgers.
All the cow meat should be from EU registered abbatoirs which have Defra meat inspectors in attendance 99% of the time that killing takes place. Veterinary inspectors should also be present some of the time, to ensure all animals are fit for human consumption.
The presence of horse DNA is not proof of horse meat being used, but one sample indicated a very high content of horse DNA so it looks likely.
It could be fat, bone meal, meat extracts as well as meat.

Burgers destined for supermarkets are produced on an industrial scale.
 As someone associated with farming and who can also remember the last burger disaster that bears my name ,I am very angry that someone thought it was a good idea to include horse meat or horse meat  by- products into these burgers.
The FSA may be correct in saying there is no risk to health, but the damage that these companies have done to the food production industry will take a long time to repair.
There is no doubt that all the supermarkets are aiming to keep costs of production down and profits up.
In an ideal world ,everyone of these supermarkets would be prosecuted for selling burgers that are not conforming to their stated ingredients. But they won't be , and we will get the usual lessons have been learned, it won't happen again.
And poor people will carry on buying shit burgers from supermarkets because they don't know or can't afford any better.

« Reply #28 on: 16 January, 2013, 09:18:25 am »
IF Tesco and all the others have proper traceability programmes in their supply chain, it should be possible to identify the source of the meat that was processed into burgers.
All the cow meat should be from EU registered abbatoirs which have Defra meat inspectors in attendance 99% of the time that killing takes place. Veterinary inspectors should also be present some of the time, to ensure all animals are fit for human consumption.
The presence of horse DNA is not proof of horse meat being used, but one sample indicated a very high content of horse DNA so it looks likely.
It could be fat, bone meal, meat extracts as well as meat.

Burgers destined for supermarkets are produced on an industrial scale.
 As someone associated with farming and who can also remember the last burger disaster that bears my name ,I am very angry that someone thought it was a good idea to include horse meat or horse meat  by- products into these burgers.
The FSA may be correct in saying there is no risk to health, but the damage that these companies have done to the food production industry will take a long time to repair.
There is no doubt that all the supermarkets are aiming to keep costs of production down and profits up.
In an ideal world ,everyone of these supermarkets would be prosecuted for selling burgers that are not conforming to their stated ingredients. But they won't be , and we will get the usual lessons have been learned, it won't happen again.
And poor people will carry on buying shit burgers from supermarkets because they don't know or can't afford any better.

The initial press releases from the Irish Food Standards Agency named the processing plants, so the traceability worked properly.

Why prosecute the retailers, though?  Surely you don't believe that Tesco, Iceland, Lidl, Aldi, and Dunnes all secretly ordered Dalepak and others to mix horsemeat and pork into the beef? 

« Reply #29 on: 16 January, 2013, 09:30:42 am »
How do you fit a donkey sausage in the bun?

With a bit of ass-istance...

It was a salami type thing bought at a market en route, very nice, but I couldn't have identified it as not beef or even pork to be honest, it was just a sort of salami.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #30 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:15:45 am »
I don't think horses slaughtered in the UK is halal but could be wrong, there aren't many places in the UK that can do horses,AFAIK they are killed by captive bolt and then bled out, I have no problem with horses being killed for human consumption, unfortunately there are a lot of do gooders who go to auctions and pester slaughter houses to buy animals and "save" them from being killed and then let them stand in a field half starved and covered in lice, there is a massive problem in the UK with horse numbers and with this recession it's getting worse, I went to a sale recently and yearling mountain ponies were selling for less than the burgers!   

« Reply #31 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:02:17 am »
Horses for courses innit.
Working my way up to inferior.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:05:54 am »
I went to a sale recently and yearling mountain ponies were selling for less than the burgers!

It's the processing costs.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #33 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:27:41 am »
If you want any of those burgers you'll have to hurry up. They won't be available furlong.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

« Reply #34 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:37:22 am »
Why prosecute the retailers, though?  Surely you don't believe that Tesco, Iceland, Lidl, Aldi, and Dunnes all secretly ordered Dalepak and others to mix horsemeat and pork into the beef? 

No, you're probably right but it was a well kept secret and the retailers themselves will suffer some loss of reputation.
 It does point to a rogue sourcing issue or covert substitution . 
Having made the headlines today , it will be interesting to see if this is followed through, so that we do get to find out who knew what.

Funnily enough Mrs M was at a social gathering at the end of last year and commented on the large number of horses that could be seen in fields near the host's house. The reply was something like "Its incredibly cruel , they are all destined for horsemeat."

« Reply #35 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:39:02 am »
Went to the fridge to check my burgers, aaaaannndddd they're off!

spindrift

« Reply #36 on: 16 January, 2013, 11:44:22 am »
Meat is red rum

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #37 on: 16 January, 2013, 12:17:32 pm »
Anagram: Shergar bum = hamburgers

IGMC
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #38 on: 16 January, 2013, 12:38:19 pm »
I like my meat well hung.  Like a donkey.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #39 on: 16 January, 2013, 12:52:57 pm »
Wnat some cheap burgers? I can get you some neigh bother.
I like maps me

« Reply #40 on: 16 January, 2013, 12:59:34 pm »
I've eaten horse: it's nommy. However since these burgers were meant to contain cow and not horse, then there's no guarantee that this horse was suitable for human consumption, which is more of a concern.
+1.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #41 on: 16 January, 2013, 01:10:54 pm »
I thought all race horses had their passports signed as "not for human consumption" so that they could be medicated for what ever reason,
for those who don't know, all horses these days have a passport, which has a declaration within, that the owner has to sign to say if the horse is for human consumption or not. If it is signed not for human consumption then you are limited to what drugs can be used, if any, due to the fact that there has been no withdrawal time limits tested on horse medication like their has been on other livestock meds. I know I wouldn't want to eat horse meat from the UK,  I would think that 95% of horses who end up at the knackers yard go abroad for human consumption as rearing horses for meat in this country is virtually non existent,     

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #42 on: 16 January, 2013, 01:19:37 pm »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #43 on: 16 January, 2013, 01:28:10 pm »
I'd rather eat horse than cheap Tesco Burgers!!    :sick: :sick:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #44 on: 16 January, 2013, 02:27:53 pm »
Tesco's veggie burgers are currently being tested for uniquorn.

« Reply #45 on: 16 January, 2013, 04:47:34 pm »
I thought all race horses had their passports signed as "not for human consumption" so that they could be medicated for what ever reason,

pfft. Racehorses will have been given less drugs than your average cow. Drug testing on horses that win (or unexpectedly don't win) is very rigorous.

*definitely* no growth hormones, dosing with antibiotics in feed as a norm.  This is normally done to cattle.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

« Reply #46 on: 16 January, 2013, 04:56:13 pm »

You think their budget fish-fingers may have traces of Sea Horses in them?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #47 on: 16 January, 2013, 05:01:54 pm »

You think their budget fish-fingers may have traces of Sea Horses in them?

I would have said Sea Monkeys.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #48 on: 16 January, 2013, 05:21:59 pm »
Just wondering if Dalepak had employed Hilary Briss-something a bit special in them burgers.   

http://www.leagueofgentlemen.co.uk/newseriestour.shtml

« Reply #49 on: 16 January, 2013, 05:33:00 pm »
Not able to post earlier, but some of the reports were talking in terms of the tesco burgers being upto 29% horse meat, but this was also being linked with another story of pig dna contamination of burgers.

To me this is to different problems, the pig DNA is, I would think, poor hygiene
Whereas 29% meat is serious supply chain lets bulk out problem.

This makes it even more unlikely that I would purchase supermarket/mass produced meat products.