Author Topic: Rabbit died...  (Read 945 times)

Rabbit died...
« on: 02 April, 2010, 12:57:53 am »
One of our two Netherland Dwarf rabbits (female) died today; mrs ao mainly looked after them, though I did the two trips to vet recently.  :(  Belonged to older mini ao and so she was pretty upset.   I actually also feel sorry for the other hutch companion who's been with this rab for nearly four years, and already behaving slightly oddly - almost that she knows what's happened.  I have to bury deceased rab in the garden tomorrow - and mini has drawn a picture with us all on saying 'we love you Clover'.  Sad really.

Anyone know about rabbits? As we thought we'd, in time (soonish), get another two young rabs and put them in with the remaining rab.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Martin

Re: Rabbit died...
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2010, 01:01:38 am »
that's very sad ao; especially now  :(

I've always wanted a Netherland dwarf but Mrs Zoom (who knows these things) says they are not very hardy. My only experience of putting unknown rabs together is that they hump each other (either sex) ad infinitum. What about bringing the other one into the house?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Rabbit died...
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2010, 07:58:48 am »
I had a rabbit for my birthday when I was 7 and he died of a heart attack, immediately after chasing the dog round the garden, when I was 19.  He never had any vaccinations and never saw a vet.

Basically they thrive on lots of exercise, so seal up all the gaps under fences and let it out in the garden when the weather permits.  A reasonable-sized rabbit will fight off any neighbourhood cats - I still have a photo somewhere of mine grappling with the black cat from next door.

Rabbits can stand a lot of cold but not damp.  If you put two males together they will fight, possibly to the death, although you can get them neutered.  Mine wasn't neutered and was psychopathic towards dogs, cats and people.  This may have contributed to his long life - the bad ones always last longer  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.