Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1628309 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7200 on: 31 December, 2015, 05:29:50 pm »
If I hear one more sleb claiming to be "blessed" I will doing some blessing of my own.  With this Shuvel I thee bless.

O!  Vous avez été blessé!  Quel dommage :demon:
What if it's Brian?

He is excused.  Lewis Hamilton, and 2/3 of the competitors on this year's "Sleb" Mastermind are not, and should fuck off while they're still capable of bipedal locomotion.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #7201 on: 31 December, 2015, 06:36:37 pm »
The crazy lady on the street opposite has dropped a note through the letterbox (she's famed for note-bombing apparently, she once complained not only that one of our builders was parked outside her house, but also that he was eating with his mouth open) complaining that one of my trees has had the temerity to drop twigs on her cherished parking space (she recently had it re-laid and put in bollards to stop people parking there – incidentally she has four spaces and no car). I checked and it's true. Entire twigs (it's a silver birch, twigs fall off them). I picked them up which I suspect took less time than writing me a note and hand-delivering it.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7202 on: 31 December, 2015, 06:49:52 pm »
I'd have sent a note back generously allowing her to keep the twigs as a present
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ian

« Reply #7203 on: 31 December, 2015, 07:03:25 pm »
My wife suggested a Blair Witch type approach with the twigs.

Tbh, if the tree was a problem, I'd have it cut back (in fact we did so when we moved in) but it's a wooded area and trees will dump twigs and leaves particular after a storm. I could understand if they were actual branches, but really a couple of handfuls of small twigs. But like I say, she's famously a bit odd.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7204 on: 31 December, 2015, 08:31:00 pm »
IKEA have no RIBBA picture frames in the size I require.  But they will have some more tomorrow.  Am I going anywhere near IKEA on New Year's Day?

No.  No, I am not.

Also the lovely Katie in my local branch of Mr Sainsbury's House of Toothy Comestibles has started wearing glasses.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7205 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:12:14 pm »
I was supposed to go on a club ride to Zumwhere in Zummerzet but I allowed the rain to put me off, thinking it would clear up and I'd go out later. Now I'm sitting under a blanket, wearing thermal longjohns, thermal top, fleece hoody over my jumper and not feeling like going out at all.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7206 on: 03 January, 2016, 02:25:16 pm »
Your body spoke. You listened. This is a bad thing, how, exactly?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7207 on: 03 January, 2016, 03:12:23 pm »
Back to work, tomorrow.

That's not the grumble, though, my grumble is "why on earth can I not remember my AD password?" it has only been two bloody weeks!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7208 on: 04 January, 2016, 11:15:19 am »
Back to work today and it's no gentle introduction to the new year, seeing as there is a huge backlog to contend with and more crap to arrive today...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7209 on: 04 January, 2016, 12:57:47 pm »
I go back tomorrow.  Why has today involved so much work stuff?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7210 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:23:16 pm »
Thanks npower. Your meter reading cock up in April has cost me a year's payments in one month.

Probably my own fault as i didn't check the bill on receipt but why in the name of sweet baby cheeses did you decide that the reading was correct? After all, a business premises that used 48 kwH between October '14 and April '15 should have flagged something, no? Especially given that it supplies the flat above which is occupied 24/7 . . .

To compound everything I was about £500 in credit thru the Summer. November's bill? £1353. Your current direct debit is £1 per calender month. So I now owe you around £600. To rectify your cock up you propose taking c.£200 a month starting February. Fabulous!

Thanks for that . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7211 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:32:37 pm »
SOP for npower.  Their random meter reading generator is a work of art.  The only way to win is to provide regular readings yourself.

*goes to see if they've worked out how to track usage with these newfangled smart-meters they installed last month*

Nope, doesn't look like it.   :-\

« Reply #7212 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:35:08 pm »
For my sins I work in a university student post room. It's been closed, so all that backlog arrived today. Chinese students, in particular, have a non-stop desire to buy the whole of the western world via our services.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7213 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:54:43 pm »
I am officially on holiday, sat at my desk marking :(
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7214 on: 04 January, 2016, 07:09:42 pm »
Fiddling in the Medusa's barnet of wires behind the anbaric distascope and Lo!  ARC started working for the first time in months.  Removed optical cable to be sure.  It continued to work :thumbsup:

Went to the tip and the horriblemarket.  ARC stopped working while I was out.

Arse >:(

« Reply #7215 on: 06 January, 2016, 08:55:10 pm »
I have a faulty hot water system, its a pressurised system and the relief valve on the inlet isn't sealing. This means there is a steady trickle through what could be considered as the overflow. Unfortunately the overflow is plumbed into the drain rather than out through the eaves so it is fitted with a "Tunn" dish like this , worse the dozy twat who installed the pipework installed the tunn dish on the piss so that it doesn't always catch all the water in the bottom half. Then I end up with a wet patch on the kitchen ceiling below.

Currently I have had to isolate the supply to the tank, manually open the relief valve to depressurise the tank, and turn off my hot water but at least the heating circuit can still run.

Now I just have to find and fit a replacement pressure relief valve on Saturday.

« Reply #7216 on: 06 January, 2016, 09:03:09 pm »
TPE website, light grey on a white background is not a useful combination. While I'm at it, defaulting the time of the journey to either an hour in the future or three in the morning is also fucking stupid.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7217 on: 06 January, 2016, 10:00:56 pm »
I have a faulty hot water system, its a pressurised system and the relief valve on the inlet isn't sealing. This means there is a steady trickle through what could be considered as the overflow. Unfortunately the overflow is plumbed into the drain rather than out through the eaves so it is fitted with a "Tunn" dish like this , worse the dozy twat who installed the pipework installed the tunn dish on the piss so that it doesn't always catch all the water in the bottom half. Then I end up with a wet patch on the kitchen ceiling below.

Currently I have had to isolate the supply to the tank, manually open the relief valve to depressurise the tank, and turn off my hot water but at least the heating circuit can still run.

Now I just have to find and fit a replacement pressure relief valve on Saturday.

The PRV is probably working correctly.
Your system  is probably over-pressuring due to a problem in the expansion vessel.
The expansion vessel (which may be internal to the cylinder eg Megaflo ) has either failed or requires topping up with air.

« Reply #7218 on: 06 January, 2016, 10:06:55 pm »

The PRV is probably working correctly.
Your system  is probably over-pressuring due to a problem in the expansion vessel.
The expansion vessel (which may be internal to the cylinder eg Megaflo ) has either failed or requires topping up with air.

I would agree but for three factors,

1).   the water that is being relieved is cold so hasn't been in the tank,
2).   the relief pressure is 6 bar and my mains isn't that high pressure (I can see the comms tower on the service reservoir from my window), and,
3).   the flow is a gentle trickle, if the pressure relief valve was lifting for an incompressible fluid that was undergoing thermal expansion to lift a 6 bar valve I would expect the valve to give short squirts which would release the pressure and then close again. When I manually open the relief valve (test it) the flow is considerably greater.

The gentle cold trickle suggests to me the relief valve is not seating properly.

However I shall just have to borrow a tyre pressure gauge from my father and check the expansion vessels as that will be cheaper than the replacement inlet control unit. Fortunately this is not the TPRV on the side of the tank (7Bar) but the 6bar relief valve that is part of the inlet control unit and immediately downstream of the pressure reducing valve.

this red one with the off take to the expansion vessel on the same body.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7219 on: 06 January, 2016, 10:21:12 pm »
On a pressurised DHW cylinder, there are usually 2 relief valves..
The Temperature / Pressure relief valve, usually mounted somewhere near the top of the cylinder.
The Expansion Relief valve, usually mounted in-line with the cold supply.

They often discharge into the same dish,making it hard to tell which is venting.

The expansion relief is usually set to about 8 bar, the TP at about 10 bar.
The expansion relief will lift first when the expansion volume has been lost.
It will vent cold water from the cold feed pipe even if the system is hot.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7220 on: 07 January, 2016, 04:37:13 pm »
Fleabay, I used "Buy It Now" on January 4th.  It seems a bit unlikely that the item was delivered on January 5th, given it was coming from Germany, and even less likely that it was delivered on January 2nd, as another page claims.  It hasn't been delivered at all, btw.  Sort it out u muppets.

tiermat

« Reply #7221 on: 07 January, 2016, 04:46:30 pm »
TPE website, light grey on a white background is not a useful combination. While I'm at it, defaulting the time of the journey to either an hour in the future or three in the morning is also fucking stupid.

I used to work for an Umbrella Company that used that combo as their "Corporate Colours".

I pointed out that, even to a person with normal sight, the website and employee portal was very difficult to read (using 8 point type didn't help).

My complaint went to them in 2008, when they redesigned their website.

It's still like that, now....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #7222 on: 07 January, 2016, 04:59:35 pm »
...and now onto my grumbles (sorry, yes, there are multiple ones)

First on is simple, see FB (sorry for being exclusive in my approach here)

Second, I would REALLY like to read the Max Camara books, in order, so why, Mr Amazon, do you send them to me in the ordeer of 3, 2, 5? 1 is not due until next week and 4 is unknown when it will be here! GAH!

Thirdly, body, stop messing me about, I've been feeling great whilst my Crohn's is managed with Methatrexate, so why do you keep me awake all night with frequent toilet trips?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7223 on: 07 January, 2016, 05:24:55 pm »
There's water poring down my wall and chimney, it's pishing with rain so the slater can't fix the roof, I'm getting ridiculously expensive quotes for stove installation and to top it all the newly delivered dehumidifier doesn't sodding work!

I'm off to throw all my toys out of the pram and have a massive sulk :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #7224 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:56:40 pm »
On a pressurised DHW cylinder, there are usually 2 relief valves..
The Temperature / Pressure relief valve, usually mounted somewhere near the top of the cylinder.
The Expansion Relief valve, usually mounted in-line with the cold supply.

They often discharge into the same dish,making it hard to tell which is venting.

The expansion relief is usually set to about 8 bar, the TP at about 10 bar.
The expansion relief will lift first when the expansion volume has been lost.
It will vent cold water from the cold feed pipe even if the system is hot.

The TPRV is OK and not passing, the Expansion PRV is passing cold water. You were correct to identify that the expansion vessel had no charge left, I connected my track pump onto the valve on the top with the tank depressurised and the gauge showed 0 Bar(g). I therefore pumped it up to 3 Bar(g) and turned the water supply to the cylinder back on. the Tank refilled to pressure and the trickle through the tunn dish resumed.

More annoyingly I don't think I can get the relief valve as a single part in time to fit it on Saturday.