Author Topic: PBP Registration website  (Read 88313 times)

bairn again

Re: PBP Registration website
« Reply #200 on: 28 January, 2019, 09:10:09 pm »
Top tips especially for 300km riders
Create your account now. https://inscription.paris-brest-paris.org/
You can search for your BRMs

Make sure you know the BRM number

The site allows you to pre-register at 11pm GMT. So be logged on before 11. Enter your BRM number. Press enter as the clock strikes 11.

The registration is easy except for the when you get to Payment of activity.There is a blank window asking for entry number. You have no idea what this is, look for the word back next to the Home icon and click  back (left hand side middle of page)
Your entry number which will look something like  PBP3895 will now appear and you can pay your 30 euros. Apparently using back or logging back in again will do the same.

All the early start times will be full for each time limit so be flexible. You may find a slot becomes free during registration due to a rider dropping out.
Good Luck
thanks  for posting this John. 

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #201 on: 28 January, 2019, 09:25:34 pm »
I am booked up and committed with cross channel ferry and hotel. If I fail to qualify I will ride some sort of mad perm in the UK on the same dates, but will not be as well prepared as PBP would have nagged me about drinking and eating.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #202 on: 28 January, 2019, 09:56:19 pm »
. . . glastonbury. They have had to invest (outsource) massively in their back end in order to cope with excess demand--of which to this day is still dramatically unable to cope and fails, unfairly, to equitably distribute tickets. I think once we get to the round where demand outstrips supply the faults will be exposed and there will be a lot of those who will feel "first come first served" was not delivered.
On pure capacity, they should have easily been able to foresee this given the data they have on worldwide participation growth. They have chosen to do nothing. Not good from a marketing perspective. If London to Brighton can handle 10,000(?) cyclists over 100km every year, I struggle to understand how one side of France can't handle the same every four years. They should adapt to the demand or risk appearing exclusive.

Or we could argue long-time, dedicated audaxers should have a place to celebrate their skills. On that basis then they should do away with the lower pre-qualifiers distances and general admission. Are we at a PBP crossroads?
Mark - I feel your dislocation-of-expectation pain but think you're being over-critical.
Don't you think that the system ACP are using seems designed to succeed, "fairly, to equitably distribute start" slots and seeks a reasonable way to avoid the "first come first served" syndrome? ACP recommended PBP aspirants, a year ahead, to ride a 400. AudaxUK recommended riding the "longest possible BRM in 2018" (a 200 is the shortest possible BRM). Do you think 'faults are being exposed'?
On pure capacity, they (ACP) did foresee the over-demand so set in place a mechanism to handle that by encouraging commitment 15 months ahead of time, hence their recommendation (above). They have recognised worldwide participation growth and have stretched the capacity to a maximum (6500). They want to maintain the spirit and ethos of PBP in line with its long history and the relationships built up with towns/communities along the route over decades.
http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/download/PBP-BROCHURE-GB.pdf (Page 10 of 43)
This event is powered by volunteers - the entry fee is £140. What is bad about the "marketing perspective"?
"If London to Brighton can handle 10,000(?) cyclists over 100km every year, I struggle to understand how one side of France can't handle the same every four years."
L>B is less than 100km and entries cost 'early bird' £50 (/£75 later?). Value for money? Melons (90 hours) and gooseberries (3 hours).
I have not ridden PBP (yet) but volunteered for 2 days before LEL (1500 riders) to help set up the start, and a day after my ride to see the full value riders in and then clear up the finish and similar volunteering last summer for Mille Pennines (not riding it that time). I think that it's easier to have an understanding of the complexity of organising a long audax with hundreds of volunteers in multiple sites across the country when you've ridden some longer ones (than a 200).
"They should adapt to the demand or risk appearing exclusive." Exclusive? 6500 riders.
"Are we at a PBP crossroads?" No, but I will be in August, with a sign telling me which way to go.

« Reply #203 on: 28 January, 2019, 10:05:51 pm »
If it's a scramble this year, then 2023 could an even bigger increase in the take up of 1000km rides. Goodness me!

If I get round this time ,that's 3 in a row. I'll let the next generation have a go in 2023.
Just registered as I misinterpreted "midnight" on 28th. :facepalm:
 Still quite a few spaces left but now leaving town at 1945, which is a bit later than planned but that's life,

« Reply #204 on: 28 January, 2019, 10:09:05 pm »
I do predict an increase in the amount of 1000k events on offer in 2022.

simonp

« Reply #205 on: 29 January, 2019, 12:48:16 am »
It could have been way fuller by now based on the numbers of 600s ridden. Maybe it won’t be so full.

« Reply #206 on: 29 January, 2019, 07:46:27 am »
In this edition, the only non-prequalified PBP entrants will be on tandems, teamed with prequalified riders. My stoker pilot will be one of them.
Sames. I blimmin hope so anyways, otherwise, LW&B, we may need to renew our partnership, and I'll have to learn properly which foot goes forward... We could do it on a tandem with decent brakes and robust wheels, even :D

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #207 on: 29 January, 2019, 08:27:11 am »
Sorry for venting yesterday and appreciate all the suggestions.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #208 on: 29 January, 2019, 08:39:54 am »
Much heat on the thread and there are still thousands of places left. People aren't considering all the double and triple counting pre-qualies. Cant recall exactly but I think I rode about 8 rides 300 to 1000 and I'm not unusual. Keep calm and like last time, most, possibly all, will get in. ACP will stretch the numbers a little. Certainly vastly more as a % will get in than Ride London or Fred Whitton. Tempting to guess how far the available entries will go but frankly NOBODY CAN TELL!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #209 on: 29 January, 2019, 08:43:03 am »
Does anyone know the protocols or policies for riders who want to change time?  400-300 riders who do manage to register will, in many cases, need to enter 80 or 84 hours, could this be changed when 90 hour slots become available for riders not completing an SR in time?  My max last year was 400, and would hope to get a 90 hour slot, but if not would take an 80, but don’t think I would finish in time on an 80 limit, would still enjoy the experience though.  Last PBP was 07 and that was in 86 hours, could have knocked a few hours off but that was 12 years ago!  Is it ok to enter the 80 knowing you will be out of time?

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #210 on: 29 January, 2019, 08:59:09 am »

Does anyone know the protocols or policies for riders who want to change time? 

On the screen with your details there are blocks of fields. These include start time and group. Under each block of info is a button labelled "modify" clicking on this shows the remaining available options via drop down lists. Assuming this system is operative (why wouldnt it be?) you should be able to change. I watched the numbers of spaces go down but also occasionally up, indicating someone had changed.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

simonp

« Reply #211 on: 29 January, 2019, 09:00:59 am »
I did the 90h group in just under 88h in 2007. 80h in 76h45 in 2015. The 80h group is naturally faster.

bairn again

« Reply #212 on: 29 January, 2019, 09:23:03 am »
Does anyone know the protocols or policies for riders who want to change time?  400-300 riders who do manage to register will, in many cases, need to enter 80 or 84 hours, could this be changed when 90 hour slots become available for riders not completing an SR in time?  My max last year was 400, and would hope to get a 90 hour slot, but if not would take an 80, but don’t think I would finish in time on an 80 limit, would still enjoy the experience though.  Last PBP was 07 and that was in 86 hours, could have knocked a few hours off but that was 12 years ago!  Is it ok to enter the 80 knowing you will be out of time?

I had the same thought last night ie Id give 84 hours a go if 90 hrs wasn't available but would prefer not to (on the basis that my only source of the extra time would be sleep rather than speed - I could always go radical and actually train  :hand:).  Getting to the start for 5am would also be problematic for me as I'm starting from central Paris and would prefer to use public transport and the last train from Montparnasse appears to be just after 2300 and ditto the RER to Dourdan some 20km from the start.   

Others I'm sure will know better but I'd understood that before the final allocations there was a degree of arm twisting went on i.e. folk who had previously ridden sub 84 or sub 80 who had entered the 90 / 84 hour group were offered a chance to "upgrade".  Purely anecdotal mind.   

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #213 on: 29 January, 2019, 10:43:31 am »
In this edition, the only non-prequalified PBP entrants will be on tandems, teamed with prequalified riders. My stoker pilot will be one of them.
Sames. I blimmin hope so anyways, otherwise, LW&B, we may need to renew our partnership, and I'll have to learn properly which foot goes forward... We could do it on a tandem with decent brakes and robust wheels, even :D

I reckon that would be good fun boab, particularly on a fully functional tandem.

By the way, I've previously ridden a quad (four-seater tandem) which would one-up those French, British and German triplet PBPers. What do you think that option might be worth to prospective stokers...

All of this is off-topic, obviously.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #214 on: 29 January, 2019, 11:18:41 am »

I had the same thought last night ie Id give 84 hours a go if 90 hrs wasn't available but would prefer not to (on the basis that my only source of the extra time would be sleep rather than speed - I could always go radical and actually train  :hand:).  Getting to the start for 5am would also be problematic for me as I'm starting from central Paris and would prefer to use public transport and the last train from Montparnasse appears to be just after 2300 and ditto the RER to Dourdan some 20km from the start.   

Others I'm sure will know better but I'd understood that before the final allocations there was a degree of arm twisting went on i.e. folk who had previously ridden sub 84 or sub 80 who had entered the 90 / 84 hour group were offered a chance to "upgrade".  Purely anecdotal mind.
For about two days (my experience 14-16 Jan)) after pre-registering you can go in and amend start times and such. That's why there's a bit of bobbing around with spaces on the earlier starts: riders who want to change. Then ACP lock it and you get an e-mail (or two) and if you login to your PBP account it will show that; and the 'modify' button is not there. As @Phil W has said in the 'Start Times' thread, it tells you "You will be able to choose another departure, within the limits of available places, when you register".
So when the site opens for registration on 25 May you will be able to open your account, to supply at least 3 homolgation numbers and, if there are spaces available in your newly preferred start time (whatever time limit), to change to a new start time. So maybe an early registration will have merit; or maybe not, because a pre-registered rider wanting to change will need to wait for start time slots to be 'freed up'. I also guess that when pre-registrations go unregistered on 20 Jun, there'll suddenly be a wedge of places freed up. But be aware that all those who've been unable to pre-register (because they didn't ride a 300/400 last year, or for other reasons) yet wish to register/ride will be after those start time slots too.
"Registration opens on 25 May for all pre-registered riders. You can register as soon as you have completed at least three of the four qualifying brevets [well actually you'll need the homolgation numbers but the BRM(PBP) UK organisers are well aware of the time issue for getting out the results and I believe/expect AudaxUK and ACP have prepared for the haste required].
"[At 19 Jun 2300 BST] pre-registrations [which have not been consummated by registration] are cancelled and the reserved places are released. If you pre-registered you need start the registration process before 18 Jun [?] or the benefit of your pre-registration will be lost. You can start the registration process before having completed the qualifying rides but you will need to provide any missing homologation numbers before Registration closes on 3 Jul."
http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/download/PBP-BROCHURE-GB.pdf

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #215 on: 29 January, 2019, 01:22:09 pm »
Noticed that the Yorkshire Grit ACP Homologation nubmers are up now, so went in to have a look at my "Results" section, noted it wasn't there and put the number in and searched and it turned up for addition to my list.

The one thing different though is my ACP club changed from AUK to Audax Ecosse when the club option reopened at the end of the season.

Does anyone know if it is always necessary to add new results like that (or with the club search) or will they appear as you go and it's only my club change that's caused me to have to re-search?

« Reply #216 on: 29 January, 2019, 01:38:34 pm »
I also did Yorkshire Grit and my club hasn't changed anytime recently. It's on my results page automatically.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #217 on: 29 January, 2019, 01:52:03 pm »
I also did Yorkshire Grit and my club hasn't changed anytime recently. It's on my results page automatically.

cool, hopefully now that I've got AUK and Audax Ecosse on my page it'll not need to keep on top of it myself.

bairn again

« Reply #218 on: 29 January, 2019, 02:10:14 pm »
me too. 

« Reply #219 on: 29 January, 2019, 10:44:58 pm »

With 65% of the overall places already pre-registered the 90hr is 70% taken and the 80 & 84hr only 55%, I would expect the preference for 90 to only increase from here leaving people with 400 or less pre-qualifier longest rides with more difficult options. Can remaining available 80/84 hour slots be reallocated to 90?

PS I saw this fascinating animation of the progress of riders in PBP 2015 (demonstrating the "bulge"), don't believe it has been previously mentioned here, (best viewed full screen to see the details)

« Reply #220 on: 30 January, 2019, 08:49:23 am »
Nice to be registered again on the PBP website which I did about a month ago, once again, same as 2015, I have now started receiving spam emails from France (I presume as everything is wrote in French). Today I got another, an offer of a nice 65,000 euro refund for something according to google translate, sadly, I turned it down and deleted it without opening any attached files. I will be just happy enough to hopefully return home from PBP with my jersey, medal and the memories and not rich enough to be able to come home having bought the Eifel Tower to use as a street light up my drive and still have 60.000 Euro's left.

I think it took about 2 to 3 years for them to stop the last time.

The only issue though is, having to work out what is spam and what may be something to do with PBP. But as soon as I see them I usually delete them to stay safe, so I will never know.

bairn again

« Reply #221 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:09:31 am »
2221 places left as at 0900 today UK time.  Rumours Predictions of it being sold out by now have been somewhat  overstated.

Date   Time limit   Available places
18/08   80h00   617
18/08   90h00   1205
19/08   84h00   399

I'd estimate that c 1900 places will be left by 11th Feb when 400s can register and that there will still be well over 1000 places left when riders with 300s can register.

I'd not be surprised if there were still places left for riders with a 200.   

« Reply #222 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:17:11 am »
Next monday there'll be another group of riders who can register, the French riders who aren't a member of the FFCT and have a 600. So there should be slight increase in registrations again.

« Reply #223 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:23:12 am »
Please excuse....lots of figures.

Re: 90 hour start. Interesting statistics.

Since 28th January, 1500 x 90 hour slots have been taken by riders from 10500 validated 600km rides in 2018, (say 14%).
Which leaves approx. 1200 (90h) places as of now.

If only 8% of 13000 (2018) x 400 kms are claimed.....(1040).... it suggests that there will be approx. 150 slots left for the 300/200kms riders to claim.

I hope everyone gets a place.
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #224 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:33:34 am »
The trickle of riders signing up every day between now and the 11th is also enough to but a big dent in the places remaining. I predict there won’t be that many 90 hour places left when the 400s open, and they will all be taken pretty quickly.

Sorry 300ers.