Author Topic: ubuntu - what next?  (Read 5867 times)

ubuntu - what next?
« on: 24 December, 2008, 01:10:51 pm »
Well I've finally bitten the bullet.  I'm fed up with the laptop being killed by iTunes so have gone for a new one*. My last foray into Linux was short lived thanks to not being able to get full hardware support, but having read so much on here re ubuntu I thought I'd give that a go instead of a new version of windows.

Installed fine last night, a much better experience than last time :thumbsup:  It's just like Windows now, chuck in CD, provide basic computer name details etc and watch it do itself.  No more hours of wading through text config files.  Brilliant.

Once up and running I got the wireless working (wasn't expecting to manage that!) and then downloaded the 270 security patches**.  I did notice when I opened the additional bit of the installer that some of the words in the scrolling log included "... fail", is this something to worry about?  How can I confirm that the patches are installed and working?

I've had a wade around the box and am pleased with the interface.  Pretty much like windows and really easy to navigate, hardest thing at the moment for me is to remember that [ctrl]-r is refresh, not F5 as I've been used to.

Firefox seems to run ok, albeit a bit clunky and slow.  I've set a location in the date/time window and it now shows me my weather.  I've configured the email application and it's downloaded the last 7 days of mail that I retain on my webserver.  I've noticed a bittorrent client went on as default so I've uninstalled it as I don't want my bandwidth used by others sharing files.

But what next?   All I usually use a PC for nowadays is web surfing and emails.  Therefore I should be ok, but I feel dirty and unprotected.

How can I tell what info this box is sending back to ubuntu/the web?
How can I confirm the incoming pipes the bitorrent application opened have been closed again?  How can I confirm there are no other loopholes in?
What should I do about a firewall and AV?
What other security settings should I be looking at?
What do I do next?

Email: can you advise me the best solution to my current conundrum?
I have many different email addresses, most of which are forwarders, and ultimately all end up in the same mailbox.  Using POP3 I read these in my mail client (Outlook Express at work, Outlook on the old laptop, Eudora on the ubuntu machine).  I have to have it as POP3 as that is the only channel open to get personal mails into the work environment where I read them all the time, smtp and imap is blocked (if I have to send an urgent mail out I can use the webmail interface).

When the mail arrives I use the mail rules on either the addressee, subject line, or other criteria to move the mail into the relevant "inbox-xxxxxxxx" folder.  This then enables me to read them sensibly as they're all grouped together logically.  The eudora rules don't seem to be complex enough to duplicate this.

Also, can I bring together my outlook express archives (going back a long way), outlook archives, and then the new eudora mails so I have all my old mails in one place again?

Many thanks in advance.

* which means Mrs Nutty will use her work machine for everything other than iTunes as she can't stand how slow our machine works, and I won't be using it at all.  An entire WinXP box sitting there just to run one intermittently used application ::-)
** which included the mandetory reboot.  These people that say

Re: ubuntu - what next?
« Reply #1 on: 24 December, 2008, 01:35:42 pm »
I did notice when I opened the additional bit of the installer that some of the words in the scrolling log included "... fail", is this something to worry about?  How can I confirm that the patches are installed and working?
Check for updates again. If nothing is found, you're up to date

How can I tell what info this box is sending back to ubuntu/the web?
It shouldn't be sending back anything without asking! You could use an Ethernet packet analyser, but it's a lot of data to wade through in the hope of finding nothing!

How can I confirm the incoming pipes the bitorrent application opened have been closed again?
The BT client won't share anything unless it's actually running. Uninstalling was unnecessary, and you certainly don't need to worry now it's gone! If it configured uPnP pipes through yoyr router/firewall, they should have been closed when the application was closed.

How can I confirm there are no other loopholes in?
It should be secure by default.

What should I do about a firewall and AV?
Firewall should be built in (it is in Fedora anyway...don't know about Ubuntu)
Anti-virus: ClamAV or go without.

What other security settings should I be looking at?
See answer before last...

What do I do next?
Surf the web, send a few emails. If that's all you need to computer for, you're set up!  :thumbsup:

Email: can you advise me the best solution to my current conundrum?
Thunderbird (similar to Outlook Express) or Evolution (similar capabilities to full Outlook)

HTH

« Reply #2 on: 24 December, 2008, 01:39:26 pm »
I liked the idea the eudora calendar seemed to be linked through to the date/time at the top of the screen.  Will Evolution be the same?  How do I configure that and get the date/time down?   (Or will it be obvious when I install/uninstall?)

« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2008, 01:40:58 pm »

What do I do next?
Surf the web, send a few emails. If that's all you need to computer for, you're set up!  :thumbsup:

Any other recommended apps to install/play with?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2008, 02:38:33 pm »
TuxGuitar  ;D

« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2008, 02:48:13 pm »
Ah yes, just remembered my other question.   The blurb talked about making a client on a USB key so that you could take your PC around with you.  Is that the "make USB boot device" on the menu?

If it is, and if I make one, can I configure it to look at the hard drive in the PC I've plugged into?   Windows XP with NTFS file system, and yes I do have a valid windows user id.   

« Reply #6 on: 24 December, 2008, 02:55:34 pm »

Depends what you want to do!

You'll probably want to add Adobe Reader and the Flash plugin.
Office suites: you've got a choice of OpenOffice, KOffice or AbiWord (word processor) and gnumeric (spreadsheet)

A few other things that are generally useful:
digiKam - downloads photos from most digital cameras
gThumb - good for browsing your photo collection
Scribus - excellent open-source DTP program
K3B - CD/DVD burning
Quanta Plus (kdewebdev) - excellent HTML (and other stuff) editor
Text editors - too many good ones to list. I use kwrite most of the time.
Qalculate - very powerful calculator. Full scientific calc functions, plus conversions between units, currencies, etc.
Evince - alternative PDF viewer (also displays PS and other formats) [also: ePDFViewer, KPDF, XPDF]

You should be able to install most if not all of these from Ubuntu's repositories with the graphical software installer (Applications menu, then Add/Remove).

It's often useful to have the standard MS fonts installed (Arial, Times New Roman, etc). Instructions here.

I liked the idea the eudora calendar seemed to be linked through to the date/time at the top of the screen.  Will Evolution be the same?  How do I configure that and get the date/time down?   (Or will it be obvious when I install/uninstall?)
Not sure - not used Evolution much, and not for a few years. Install it and have a play.  :thumbsup:

Ah yes, just remembered my other question.   The blurb talked about making a client on a USB key so that you could take your PC around with you.  Is that the "make USB boot device" on the menu?

If it is, and if I make one, can I configure it to look at the hard drive in the PC I've plugged into?   Windows XP with NTFS file system, and yes I do have a valid windows user id.   
Yes, linux booted from USB stick (or CD) should be able to read (and most likely also write) NTFS, as long as it's not encrypted. It won't even ask for your Windows password!  :o

« Reply #7 on: 24 December, 2008, 03:24:08 pm »

Depends what you want to do!

Yeah - sorry about the "how long is a piece of string" question  ;D ;D ;D     There will be some stupider ones on the way I promise :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Mrs Nutty bought me a book for Christmas some years ago "Linux for Dummies".  I didn't get on with it then as I couldn't get the computer working.   Is it still a worthwhile read?  Will the basics under the hood of ubuntu tie in with this?

« Reply #8 on: 24 December, 2008, 04:32:32 pm »
Yeah - sorry about the "how long is a piece of string" question  ;D ;D ;D

Oh, is that what you were asking? It's twice as long as half it's length!

Sorry, I thought you were asking about linux!   ??? ;D

The book should give you the basics - lots of stuff will have changed since it was written, so don't expect everything it says to still work, but it should get you started. And things that have changed will generally have become simpler/more logical.

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: 24 December, 2008, 05:17:10 pm »
Firewall - it's on by default. Zero ports open by default. You don't need to do anything.
Anti-virus - forget about it. You don't need it.
Ubuntu Security - Ubuntu Forums

Some things you can do here:
10 Things You Should Do Immediately After Installing Ubuntu 8.10

Now lots of these I wouldn't want, personally (such as Adobe Reader), but there's some good stuff there. Google a few more 'Ubuntu 10 things' for suggestions.   

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #10 on: 24 December, 2008, 05:19:54 pm »
Are there any decent Linux video editing systems - something on a par with premier elements?

« Reply #11 on: 24 December, 2008, 08:14:47 pm »

Yes, linux booted from USB stick (or CD) should be able to read (and most likely also write) NTFS, as long as it's not encrypted. It won't even ask for your Windows password!  :o

I'm stuck already  :-[

Put USB key in and all was ok other than it was too small.  Put a bigger USB key in and the "Make startup disk" application is still asking me to install a disk?

I can browse all the files on it.  There is an icon on the desktop that has the drive with a USB logo on it, the disk properties shows the mount point as /media/USB DISK   (although it shows connection = USB, Media = Hard Disc, Removable = No, External = yes).

How can I get the USB startup disk application to see this?   I've tried unmounting and remounting several times, and even rebooted the machine.

Oh - and how do I get back my [alt]+S to post this??????????  I keep getting the history menu popping up????

« Reply #12 on: 24 December, 2008, 08:17:05 pm »

"should be" doesn't equal is.   I remember the last time I tried a linux install and just followed the defaults.  I had all sorts of public facing web hosts, ftp servers and smtp forwarders active.   Spent hours trawling through and turning them all off!

« Reply #13 on: 24 December, 2008, 08:55:50 pm »

"should be" doesn't equal is.   I remember the last time I tried a linux install and just followed the defaults.  I had all sorts of public facing web hosts, ftp servers and smtp forwarders active.   Spent hours trawling through and turning them all off!

I've not encountered a linux distro that has web, ftp or smtp servers enabled by default, but you're right, it's worth checking. SSH might run by default, and is worth turning off if you don't plan to use it, though it's not a big security risk as long as you use strong passwords on all user accounts. If you leave SSH running, it's worth beefing up security with denyhosts which blocks IP addresses after a certain number of unsuccessful login attempts.

The Services applet (System Menu >> Administration >> Services or something similar) lets you control what runs on startup. httpd is the web server (Apache 2.x), apache is version 1.x of Apache (if installed), ftpd is the ftp server.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14 on: 24 December, 2008, 11:21:15 pm »
I've been using Amarok for listening to mp3s. It can to download & upload to my Creative mp3 player which is handy.

Jezza

« Reply #15 on: 25 December, 2008, 09:47:46 am »
I've been using Amarok for listening to mp3s. It can to download & upload to my Creative mp3 player which is handy.

Works with an iPod as well  ;)

« Reply #16 on: 25 December, 2008, 03:16:35 pm »
ROFL.   

As it's Christmas I'll just say "Ho Ho Ho Jezza"  :D

(no point in me bothering with Amorak, but thanks for the tip Pingu, as all my music is on CD and Mrs Nutty's is in the iTunes format so we can't do anything with it.)

simonp

« Reply #17 on: 26 December, 2008, 12:40:16 pm »
I've lost count of all the little things I've ended up installing.

I'm liking GNUcash for tracking where all my money went.
I'm using sbackup (simple backup) for backups to a network drive.

Various bits of geekery:

subversion, apache, postfix, dspam, clamav, eclipse

« Reply #18 on: 27 December, 2008, 12:21:11 am »

I'm stuck already  :-[

Put USB key in and all was ok other than it was too small.  Put a bigger USB key in and the "Make startup disk" application is still asking me to install a disk?

I can browse all the files on it.  There is an icon on the desktop that has the drive with a USB logo on it, the disk properties shows the mount point as /media/USB DISK   (although it shows connection = USB, Media = Hard Disc, Removable = No, External = yes).

How can I get the USB startup disk application to see this?   I've tried unmounting and remounting several times, and even rebooted the machine.

I'm still stuck :-\

I've found a big enough USB key that the application can see, and created a USB startup disk.   If I put this in a Windows machine I can see the autorun files and can run the menu application. 

However I can't boot off it?   I just get the infamous message "missing operating system".   Last time I made a boot disk (DOS6.2) it was a simple matter of "Sys A:"* to make the floppy bootable.   How do I make this USB key bootable?

Please?

* from memory

« Reply #19 on: 27 December, 2008, 12:42:18 am »
Try following the instructions here or here (two different methods).

« Reply #20 on: 27 December, 2008, 01:06:56 am »
Ta,   At an initial skim read they both look promising... but look pretty much to get where I am already (I'll have a full read tomorrow once I've had a sleep).     One of the comments on the second link is "If you get a boot device error when you try and boot from the flash device, it could be that your partition is not marked as active. What we'll do is use the command line diskpart utility to fix this… if you are in Vista open an administrator mode command prompt by right-clicking and choosing Run as Administrator."

I think that's the point I'm at (the USB key apps run fine) but I don't have Vista. 

Is there a simple command line I can enter in the terminal window to mark the existing USB key as active?

Craig

« Reply #21 on: 27 December, 2008, 01:39:47 am »
I'm not sure if there's a command in Ubuntu to do that as standard, but its easy to do if you install GParted. Find it on the add / remove thing, or just do sudo apt-get install gparted
Then start Gparted, select your flash drive, then right click on the partition and "Manage flags". Tick the box for 'boot' to mark the partition as active.

« Reply #22 on: 27 December, 2008, 01:57:47 am »
EDIT:

Use GParted, as Craig says.

I suggested a command-line equivalent using fdisk, but used the wrong fdisk (not the linux one)

You can use fdisk's flag command, but GParted is easier and safer.  :)

« Reply #23 on: 27 December, 2008, 02:25:06 am »
<sigh>

After loving ubuntu for the ease with which it installed and how much better it was than my last experience...  I'm beginning to recall what happened last time  :(

I've installed gparted.  Now, how do I get it to see the USB drive???   It's got the same display whether I have the USB key installed or not (and yes, I have pressed ctrl-R to refresh)

Prior to the edit I also wondered about the command line... but couldn't find my device name???   you were refering to an SDC (as does gparted) but all I can get is right clicking on the drive, looking at properties, which gives "media/disc_img" as the path.

« Reply #24 on: 27 December, 2008, 02:29:42 am »
Scrap the above.  I just found the USB key in gparted :thumbsup:

It is already marked as "boot" - so why can't I boot from it???