Author Topic: Apple the new evil empire?  (Read 6668 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Apple the new evil empire?
« Reply #25 on: 08 March, 2011, 10:23:52 am »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #26 on: 08 March, 2011, 06:37:26 pm »
Apple: If you're under 17, you can't use Opera • The Register.

Can you say "control freak"?
Not fairly, you can't. That was a cock-up.  Cock-ups illustrate the arbitrariness of the walled garden, though, hein?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 08 March, 2011, 07:11:33 pm »
Apple: If you're under 17, you can't use Opera • The Register.

Can you say "control freak"?
Not fairly, you can't. That was a cock-up.  Cock-ups illustrate the arbitrariness of the walled garden, though, hein?

Sounds like it got confused for the perfumed garden.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #28 on: 09 March, 2011, 12:16:56 am »
One of the common factors in articles like this one is that they are written largely by heavy computer users or people employed in IT. The vast majority of people buying Apple computers use them because they want to achieve some tasks rather than because they like fiddling around inside things or like to learn convoluted multi button pressing pathways  ;).

But the fiddling around inside things option is available on OS X through the Terminal and because the operating system is built on *nix, in far more sensible ways than in Windows - with a proper shell, real user-based security and everything.

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 09 March, 2011, 12:41:51 am »
One of the common factors in articles like this one is that they are written largely by heavy computer users or people employed in IT. The vast majority of people buying Apple computers use them because they want to achieve some tasks rather than because they like fiddling around inside things or like to learn convoluted multi button pressing pathways  ;).

But the fiddling around inside things option is available on OS X through the Terminal and because the operating system is built on *nix, in far more sensible ways than in Windows - with a proper shell, real user-based security and everything.

Yes!  A proper shell!

Still waiting for my new MBP.

simonp

« Reply #30 on: 09 March, 2011, 12:43:47 am »
My iPhone hangs more than my Linux boxes, by a country mile.

Mine hangs more than my windows laptop, even though it (the iPhone) can't do much beyond browsing.

My work laptop came up with a nice error message the other day:

"Program C:\ has encountered an error and has to exit"

Nice.

Oh, and "Unable to complete operation" with no indication of what the operation was, or what program it was.

Excellent stuff, keep the comedy error messages coming.

simonp

« Reply #31 on: 09 March, 2011, 12:45:54 am »
It's a similar reason as to why the iPad has been so surprisingly successful, designed largely for browsing, e-mail, games, viewing photos and videos and as a simple interface

It surprised me.  This even more so:

The iPad is killing laptop sales • The Register

The iPad is causing a huge dent in laptop sales, because most people buying laptops don't need a fully functional PC.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #32 on: 09 March, 2011, 12:58:10 am »
I'm a (Linux) atheist ;)
Linux gets you Eastern Orthodoxy, I'm afraid: kinda weird, not much of it about, people look at you in strange ways like they don't know what you're talking about, lasts all day and you've got to know a whole different set of weird chants.

Atheists are technophobes: they don't believe in all this technology nonsense.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #33 on: 09 March, 2011, 02:31:50 am »
My home TV is just a TV. I switch it on and I watch stuff on it.

It's not that I'm not interested in what goes on inside the box, but I didn't buy it for the purpose of finding out how it works.

When it comes to home computing, Apple products are the only ones to come close to this paradigm.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #34 on: 09 March, 2011, 09:29:03 am »
Ok, so can you plot a gps route on a web based site on an iPad or an iphone and then save the file?

I think it is a big fat no. You can of course do it on a MacBook, but also on a Dell for half the price.  No Linux or knowing what goes on it the box needed, not even much computing done by the computer as it is done by the website, but shows you just how limited the iPad is.  Watching films, browsing, emails etc, but for the moment that is it.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #35 on: 09 March, 2011, 09:34:47 am »
That's a "doing computer things" task, silly rabbit.

For reading t'news and facebooking your nan, the ipad excels.  It's great for games, too.

One thing that does worry me is that for every nan who loves it, there's a kid who grows up thinking that that's all there is to it.

Viva la difference.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #36 on: 09 March, 2011, 09:39:34 am »
Which is where the evil empire comes in. Devices like the iPad steer people towards believing that they have to pay to use a 'computer'

I've no doubt iPads are great at what they can do...but you still need a standalone to use one.

<typed on an iPhone>

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #37 on: 09 March, 2011, 09:49:45 am »
I'm a (Linux) atheist ;)
Linux gets you Eastern Orthodoxy, I'm afraid: kinda weird, not much of it about, people look at you in strange ways like they don't know what you're talking about, lasts all day and you've got to know a whole different set of weird chants.

:thumbsup:

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #38 on: 09 March, 2011, 09:52:21 am »

That'd be the Amish surely...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #39 on: 09 March, 2011, 10:07:27 am »
I've no doubt iPads are great at what they can do...but you still need a standalone to use one.

I agree they're an indulgent niche, like when you you're too lazy to get off the sofa to check your facebook.

One of my friends was a computer refusenik for years, but last year he fell for the advertising and went out and bought an iPad. He doesn't have a computer or a broadband connection at home  ???

ian

« Reply #40 on: 09 March, 2011, 10:12:09 am »

I agree they're an indulgent niche, like when you you're too lazy to get off the sofa to check your facebook.

One of my friends was a computer refusenik for years, but last year he fell for the advertising and went out and bought an iPad. He doesn't have a computer or a broadband connection at home  ???

If he goes to the newsagent and buys a few of those 'top shelf' magazines (really, do they still exist?) he can cut out the pages. He should find they're about the right size to fit the front of the iPad. A bit of sellotape to hold everything in place and he can pretend he has access to the actual internet on it.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #41 on: 09 March, 2011, 10:17:31 am »

Should only need a computer to synchronise photos iTunes etc. everything else can be done out of the box (although it may need a computer to do the initial set up, I can't remember, but after that it works fine)

« Reply #42 on: 09 March, 2011, 10:32:24 am »
Indeed, one friend has an iPad at home and no computer. He just uses his work computer to do all of the initial setup and syncing with cameras/etc. Internet connection through the wireless network on his Sky+ box (with Sky Broadband).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #43 on: 09 March, 2011, 10:37:44 am »
Well ok. So he can't transfer Flac files onto his server, plot gps routes etc. So the iPad is really just a sort of modern telly then  ;)

citoyen

« Reply #44 on: 09 March, 2011, 10:51:02 am »
I can't wash my clothes in my microwave oven either.

d.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #45 on: 09 March, 2011, 11:11:43 am »

No, but you can dry them.

simonp

« Reply #46 on: 09 March, 2011, 11:15:23 am »

When you do this, please video this (using your phone, which is not a camera, of course).

I'm pretty sure I remember thinking camera phones would never catch on.

« Reply #47 on: 09 March, 2011, 11:16:26 am »
I remember thinking why would anyone want a colour screen for their mobile phone

citoyen

« Reply #48 on: 09 March, 2011, 11:31:02 am »
I do occasionally use my iPhone to make phone calls.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #49 on: 09 March, 2011, 11:34:01 am »

Would it dry them or just turn your oven into a sauna?

d.