Author Topic: Rantlet re my parents' broadband  (Read 6627 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Rantlet re my parents' broadband
« Reply #25 on: 20 July, 2008, 10:25:50 pm »
The photo posted upthread was taken on 15 March 2007.
The junction box serves Old Man Next Door (cable going off to left) as well as us (cable going upwards).

Given that:
1) 'It seems to work OK'
2) Testing it online shows no fault
3) A BT engineer on a paid call-out showed no interest in this when we tried to point this out, when investigating my broadband in October 2005

How do I persuade BT it needs attention?

Choose a period when people are away to minimise inconvenience.
Discover that the junction box has been damaged by some irresponsible oik with time on their hands.
Complain and get it sorted properly.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #26 on: 21 July, 2008, 07:36:41 am »
"How do I persuade BT it needs attention?"

This is where life gets interesting, can I assume that BT is both the Communications Provider and the Broadband provider in this instance?  Even if this is the case they are seperate entities as far as getting Broadband or Telephony problems sorted.  Either way carries the possibility of charges being raised, particularly if you try and get a Broadband fault created.

I would contact your CP and tell them that you are concerned about the condition of the line plant serving you and your neighbour.  Tell them that you have a DP with the cover missing exposing the wires.  What should happen is that a fault report code of 'DRO' (Damage report other) should be generated and in due course an Openreach technician  should show up.  With any luck it won't be the one who ignored the problem last time round.

Do not under any circumstances mention the word damage (sorry David, bad idea).

The days of BT/Openreach doing everything for free, no questions asked, are long gone.  Any whiff of deliberate or accidental damage anywhere within an End User's curtledge will result in Openreach billing the CP.  Almost without exception the CP will pass this cost on to their customer, usually at a considerable markup on what OR has charged them.  This is time related and bills of several hundred quid are not unusual if the job takes some time.  If the job requires two men, such as renewing an overhead cable that tree surgeons or scaffolders have taken out then the hourly rate is doubled.

If you do go through the above process and the festering BT66 is not replaced, then raise a complaint with your CP.

Feel free to PM me if you need any other info.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 21 July, 2008, 08:45:16 am »
Thanks. I have never wanted to physically sabotage something that works.
BT is both my broadband and communications provider.
The technician who visited in 2005 was BT (rather than OpenReach) and found I had a duff filter when he investigated a broadband problem. This had started just a few days after I'd had boadband, which had initially worked OK. Once he'd established the problem was Mine, he was off like a bullet.
I will wait until my partner goes off on a globe-trotting eclipse-chasing trip later this week and play the vulnerable disabled card. (I am rather immobile, Old Neighbour is in mid-80s and lives alone.)
I think I've had an exchange of emails with OpenReach about this but they replied I'd have to get back to BT...
As you can see, the problem is just at the point where the line is on my curtilage. (Actually, the cable does a long trip over the front door and round the side before entering the house at a side window by the master socket.)
It should be an OpenReach issue.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #28 on: 21 July, 2008, 09:24:03 am »
Ultimately it is an Openreach issue, but as they are not a CP or SP you cannot approach them directly as you are not their customer. 

Hasn't liberalisation made things easier?  ::-)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #29 on: 21 July, 2008, 09:33:10 am »
This has never been satisfactory, in particular, the wireless connection to Mum's laptop was either never established or tended to break within three minutes.

There are two mistakes most people make with wireless:
One is that they think that closer MUST be better, not so, in fact if the router/AP is closer than 1 meter to the client (PC) you will most probably never make a connection.
The second one is that they think that if the AP/router has a setting to alter the signal strength settings, then setting it to 100% will make it better, not so, think of it like a decent stereo with crappy speakers, it might work fine on low volumes, but pump it up a bit and it becomes unlistenable.

Asides from that wirelss can be a bit of a black art, stock up on chickens(to sacrifice) and practise dancing around the car park/garden naked with your underpants on your head....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 21 July, 2008, 09:34:21 am »
Yeah Right!  ;) ;)

I'd love to just be able to send an email stating:
This My Name
This is my address
This is my phone number
This is my BT  contract number
This is my junction box <photo attached>

Please fix.