Author Topic: Smart phone, mobile internet - is resistence futile?  (Read 7907 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: Smart phone, mobile internet - is resistence futile?
« Reply #50 on: 04 May, 2012, 01:00:53 pm »
I was asking the same questions not that long ago.  I don't do social media, and I am generally not well up on phone stuff.  However, after a bit of looking I bought outright, a Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro, partly because I wanted a real keyboard, partly because of its good camera.  Paid £230, use it on vodafone PAYG, make few calls and receive few, but its a useful lifeline, and when we went on hols to New Zealand it was utterly brilliant.  Google maps, finding campsites, looking up bus timetables and finding the bus stop and tracking the journey on the bus, emailing folk, checking up on YACF occasionally, listening to the radio or music, it was a Godsend.  I also bought a spare battery (easy and quick to change) and a 32Gb memory card forall those pictures.  Whilst most photography was on the DSLR, there were also over 200 taken on the phone, and when editing them in Photoshop, its not obvious which camera its taken with.  Battery life, yes, its less than the other phone, but its so quick and easy to switch bits off and on, its really not an issue, and it'll generally last at least a couple of days if not more.  As for using the alarm to wake up, I'd only ever do if away from home.  Don't you all have an alarm clock?

In short, they may not be perfect at anything, but they'll get you sorted with almost anything, and of you travel about a fair bit, I could not conceive  how to survive without one.  I'm a convert.

In answer to Fungus, bloody ages.  Several weeks, certainly.

Wombat

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #51 on: 04 May, 2012, 01:04:06 pm »
Not sure if this has been answered already.  If you carry a spare battery (mine's a HTC desire) how long would a fully charged spare carry that charge for  ???  Might be worth carrying a couple of spares on long audax rides.

The batteries are lithium based so hold an almost full charge for days, or weeks if stored in a cold place.  They may still be half full months later.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Euan Uzami

« Reply #52 on: 04 May, 2012, 01:04:37 pm »
When I approach a junction I change to a lower gear and unclip one of my shoes. Does that make my bike attention-seeking and nerdy?

Yes, 'fraid so  :smug: :smug:

needy, not nerdy - but smartphones are also nerdy.

Pressing a button is not such a terrible bother for me.  I don't need to keep on switching modes, actually, just turn wireless off when I'm going to be out for a long time.  Mine doesn't need constant attention.

But please yourself.  I don't mind if you don't have a smart phone.  You're wrong if you think they're not brilliant though.

Yes and likewise, please yourselves if you feel you want to have one.
You might think they're brilliant technically but they fail to wow me, it's basically just a small computer with a touch screen and wireless connectivity. Nothing magical about that. They may have lots of impressive features but for me they don't tick the basic boxes for what they're touted as (a mobile phone), and they don't improve my life.
If you don't think they need lots of attention you only need to look in any pub to be able to see tables full of people all sitting there not chatting to each other but transfixed by the screen of the phone which they're slavishly stroking :facepalm:. I'm almost convinced it's a government conspiracy to numb people's brains.  ;)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #53 on: 04 May, 2012, 01:07:28 pm »
If you don't think they need lots of attention you only need to look in any pub to be able to see tables full of people all sitting there not chatting to each other but transfixed by the screen of the phone which they're slavishly stroking

That's not NEEDING attention.  Lots of people just WANT to attend to them.  You're not being interesting enough if they're looking at their phones rather than you.  That's your fault.  ;)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 04 May, 2012, 01:38:32 pm »
If you don't think they need lots of attention you only need to look in any pub to be able to see tables full of people all sitting there not chatting to each other but transfixed by the screen of the phone which they're slavishly stroking

That's not NEEDING attention.  Lots of people just WANT to attend to them.  You're not being interesting enough if they're looking at their phones rather than you.  That's your fault.  ;)
;D

(the really appaling thing is that some of them will be communicating with each other. Not my preferred from of stroking I have to say.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #55 on: 04 May, 2012, 01:52:33 pm »
(the really appaling thing is that some of them will be communicating with each other. Not my preferred from of stroking I have to say.)
Better not come to my house. Happens all the time. txting each other. chatting on facebook when sitting in the same room.

Back to the question about battery life.
If you aren't using the phone whilst riding, then the super-fast boot time means you can just turn it off. A turn on time in the seconds means it's perfectly tolerable to have phone off 95% of the time.

Ben, the newer versions of Android don't require you to manually turn stuff off/on all the time. If not in range of a 'home' wifi network, it just turns it off (apart from a 'sniff' now and then).  All automatic. You can tell it to do the same with 3G and HSPA.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #56 on: 04 May, 2012, 06:35:20 pm »
I agree with Ben, the HTC Desire is simply awful.  It's the only smartphone I have any knowledge of.  The awfulness is a combination of lousy battery runtime (which is a Desire thing) and constant updating-ness of the apps including the ones you don't want and can't uninstall (which is an Android thing).  Simply underwhelming.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #57 on: 04 May, 2012, 11:54:01 pm »
and constant updating-ness of the apps including the ones you don't want and can't uninstall (which is an Android thing). 
I thought that's a vendor thing. Most/all manufacturers allow the phone networks to customise the apps and possibly lock down some of the settings.
I am nothing and should be everything

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #58 on: 05 May, 2012, 12:29:52 am »
He said 'lock down'

BURN HIM!!!
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #59 on: 05 May, 2012, 09:00:11 pm »
The Lothian Buses bus tracker app is superb.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #60 on: 06 May, 2012, 12:27:02 am »
Had a chat on the way to cubs with my friend who knows about this sort of stuff - the BGS geology app* runs on Android; and he's another happy Desire owner. 

* - this may be the clincher, domestically  ;)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #61 on: 07 May, 2012, 06:48:06 pm »
Had a chat on the way to cubs with my friend who knows about this sort of stuff - the BGS geology app* runs on Android; and he's another happy Desire owner. 

is that happy because he's a desire owner, or happy despite being a desire owner ?  ;)

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #62 on: 07 May, 2012, 09:16:01 pm »

is that happy because he's a desire owner, or happy despite being a desire owner ?  ;)

Just happy  ;)

(and happy with his phone)
(err, with the performance of his phone)
(err ...  :-[)

« Reply #63 on: 02 October, 2012, 12:04:26 pm »
I've also avoided smartphones and indeed any fancy phones in general. . . until now. Seems a corner has turned in the tech world and it's time for me to join in.

What I'd like to know is how much monthly bandwidth is necessary for the use of map apps? . . I just had a quick look at the navfree website and it looks like the sort of thing I'd want to use.

I'm under the impression that google maps requires pretty much unlimited bandwidth, but are other apps bandwidth-lite? I guess the question is whether using GPS uses bandwidth? I know nothing about GPS, never used it in any form whatsoever.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #64 on: 02 October, 2012, 12:21:23 pm »
The Google maps app downloads and caches map data in the same way as your internet browser, so unless you're continually tracking and updating your positions at a high level of detail you'll probably be fine. Alternatively get the CycleStreets app, which uses OpenStreetMap data. There's the option to download an offline map pack for the whole of the UK (~500MB so use wifi).
I am nothing and should be everything

« Reply #65 on: 02 October, 2012, 12:30:03 pm »
Deals generally seem to have tiers around 250mb, 500mb, 1Gb and 'unlimited'.
I've heard that unlimited often isn't really due to 'fair usage' policies. 250Gb seems like nothing but perhaps smartphones are much more data-efficient.

Any suggestions as to what to look out for? Are there sneaky penalties for going over the data allowance with particular providers?

Also, I remember seeing 6 months ago that 4g or whatever the next evolutionary stage is, is just around the corner, so would I be foolish to sign up for a 24 month contract now?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #66 on: 02 October, 2012, 12:33:50 pm »
I guess the question is whether using GPS uses bandwidth? I know nothing about GPS, never used it in any form whatsoever.
As standard, GPS does not use any mobile data bandwidth, its just receiving signals from the satellites. But most phones use "assisted GPS", which does send a bit of data via the mobile phone network (or wifi). Assisted GPS will be a bit quicker to get a position, especially if the GPS signal is weak. It shouldn't use much data, only a few kilobytes per fix. On most phones you should be able to disable it if you want.

For mapping, depends on what sort of maps you want. But there are a variety of apps which allow you to download the maps in advance, so they can be used offline. Quite a few OpenStreetMap based apps do this. Or something like ViewRanger for OS maps.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #67 on: 02 October, 2012, 01:57:13 pm »
In Google Maps you can download maps into the cache manually, so if you know where you are going to be using the map in advance, you can download it while you are at home (via WiFi).  Useful if you are going abroad and won't have roaming data while you are away.

From memory, I think its 9 or 10 map segments you can download in advance, and each is 10x10km.

« Reply #68 on: 02 October, 2012, 03:44:23 pm »
So is it worth holding off from a long contract because of the impact 4g will have and the potential of doing away with one's landline completely?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #69 on: 02 October, 2012, 03:47:18 pm »
Two ways of doing gps - on the fly downloading the data as you go (or possibly having it cached)
Having a mapset already on the device

The former requires a signal and a data allowance,
the latter require you to acquire a gps App before you set out. Can cost, although  the price is an awful lot less now that it used to be a few years ago.
It is simpler than it looks.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #70 on: 02 October, 2012, 07:11:24 pm »
So is it worth holding off from a long contract because of the impact 4g will have and the potential of doing away with one's landline completely?

I'd say not.

The butterflies will have come and gone many times before there is a functioning 4G network in the UK.
( The 3G networks can hardly be described as 'finished' can they? )

Rather longer away than the life-span of a current 3G handset bought today, I expect.

« Reply #71 on: 03 October, 2012, 05:36:39 pm »
Two ways of doing gps - on the fly downloading the data as you go (or possibly having it cached)

the latter require you to acquire a gps App before you set out. Can cost, although  the price is an awful lot less now that it used to be a few years ago.

Re the former - my OH has been mainly using her desire hd as a satnav, and has used it quite a bit at times wandering around the country - and uses the free google app. I dunno how much data she's chewed through, but a £20-for-6-months booster on her PAYG tariff has been adequate - I can't even find what the details of the usage policy is (t-mobile).

ian

« Reply #72 on: 03 October, 2012, 06:46:13 pm »

Re the former - my OH has been mainly using her desire hd as a satnav, and has used it quite a bit at times wandering around the country - and uses the free google app. I dunno how much data she's chewed through, but a £20-for-6-months booster on her PAYG tariff has been adequate - I can't even find what the details of the usage policy is (t-mobile).

The T-Mobile 6-month booster is unlimited data (other than the usual fair use clauses). It's quite a good deal.

Phil W

« Reply #73 on: 03 October, 2012, 06:51:30 pm »
When I approach a junction I change to a lower gear and unclip one of my shoes. Does that make my bike attention-seeking and nerdy?

Yes your bike is needy  :P get a single speed

« Reply #74 on: 04 October, 2012, 04:12:43 pm »
The T-Mobile 6-month booster is unlimited data (other than the usual fair use clauses). It's quite a good deal.

That's what we've assumed, but I'm blowed if I can find any details on it !

I rather wonder if providers - t-mobile at any rate  - are trying to hide that kind of operation. If you go to their sim-only deals, their broadband *payg* sim select takes you to a point where it appears to be be £15 *monthly* - which isn't what I'd call payg :( Even selecting a normal non-broadband PAYG sim there's no obvious way of adding the 6-month booster to the same sim AFAICS. I'm guessing you'd have to do it later when it's in your clammy mitts, and enable the booster via the txt route (as my OH currently does). Certainly as a potentially new customer it's not obvious.