Author Topic: Generic term for smart phones, tablets, & the like.  (Read 6891 times)

Generic term for smart phones, tablets, & the like.
« on: 12 August, 2012, 02:29:38 pm »
Can anyone enlighten me?

Mrs B is trying to translate something from Japanese, & there's a generic term which translates literally as 'information appliance'.  She needs a better English term, & it would be best to use the standard one, if it exists.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Generic term for smart phones, tablets, & the like.
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2012, 02:31:11 pm »
"mobile device"?

plum

« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2012, 03:54:46 pm »
Touch screen devices

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2012, 04:29:35 pm »
I always use "mobile device"

General acceptance of a one-word label -- along the lines of Jeejah  -- would be nice.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2012, 12:06:28 am »
On a similar theme, what about a word that covers the whole lot: smartphones, tablets, media centres, laptops and desktop PC?

I see increasing use of "device" in place of "computer" these days. (ex: "Click here to install app X on your device").
It's such a shame that the end-points of the global network that defines an entire age has such a mundane name. The "Device Age". yeah.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2012, 08:46:48 am »
On a similar theme, what about a word that covers the whole lot: smartphones, tablets, media centres, laptops and desktop PC?

I see increasing use of "device" in place of "computer" these days. (ex: "Click here to install app X on your device").
It's such a shame that the end-points of the global network that defines an entire age has such a mundane name. The "Device Age". yeah.
"Terminal", surely?

(A perfectly good existing term!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2012, 02:50:36 pm »
Oh that's dead easy. Take your pick  from,  "headache", "trouble" and "broken".
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2012, 02:56:36 pm »
Cost centre?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2012, 03:15:31 pm »

"Terminal", surely?

(A perfectly good existing term!)

Gadget. Works for me - I've got lots of them!