Author Topic: OS Yosemite  (Read 6957 times)

Re: OS Yosemite
« Reply #25 on: 19 October, 2014, 09:22:04 am »
I think so - as a full system restore is what I read into that. I made sure I had a new Time Machine backup before I started (but my old one had failed, so I needed to do that anyway)

Tim, can you not pop into an Apple store - would be a lot quicker? Or are you on a large desktop?

I'll stick a fresh copy of mavericks on the backup too, just to be safe.

Tbh, wish I'd never updated from snow leopard! Never liked maverick, probably won't like Yosemite but it's not maverick :D

I've got work stuff on the mac that may not operate on Yosemite, it's a bit of a risk.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #26 on: 19 October, 2014, 09:25:26 am »
Upgraded yesterday - took about 1/2 hour.

TBH apart from the "flatter" appearance, haven't noticed any difference. But then I don't use any of the apple integration, nor do I use the standard apps (mail, safari etc)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 19 October, 2014, 09:27:40 am »
I'm looking forward to being able to answer iPhone calls on my Mac. It will save finding the phone somewhere around the house with missed calls.

Yosemite so far seems fine. I quite like the new interface. I've been using Macs since System 3, so have seen quite a few changes...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #28 on: 19 October, 2014, 09:49:11 am »
I’m having a couple of problems:

1. I cannot get Safari to open in full screen after restart - it remains minimised and when I open it from the dock I get a small window.

2. NAS does not appear in finder on startup. Yet I can access the NAS via the web interface.

red marley

« Reply #29 on: 19 October, 2014, 10:29:35 am »
The download took me less than 30 minutes, but installation about an hour. Top tip - when it says 'about a minute left' - be patient. In my case it was a 45 minute minute. Cmd-L will open a console while it is installing so you can see what's going on.

The only backward step I've spotted so far is that it no longer makes a 'bwap' noise when you change the volume level.

ian

« Reply #30 on: 19 October, 2014, 11:27:36 am »
Tim, can you not pop into an Apple store - would be a lot quicker? Or are you on a large desktop?

Nearest Apple Store to me is Cambridge (a good hour away, and I'm not free to go when it's open!). One of my Macs is a 27" iMac, so that's not going anywhere anyway, but the one I'm trying to update is my little MBA. I set it to download the night before I buggered off to JFK, expecting it to have completed in the 48 hours till I got back. No such luck - 2.79Gb of 5.16Gb in that time. Now 10 hours later, and we're up to 3.13Gb. Oh, the delights of BT 'broadband' in rural Essex!

As a bonus, when it gets to 5.15GB you'll get an error.

If it does, ask nice and I'll pop it on a USB stick.

« Reply #31 on: 19 October, 2014, 12:04:36 pm »
Slight diversion - I promise I’ll stop soon:

In Keychain Access / login / passwords / (properties of) network passwords* for NAS / access control, should it be “confirm access for this item” or “allow all apps to access this item”?

*I have no idea why there are two entries for the same NAS, differing only in that one is named as the name of the NAS and the other as the IP of the NAS.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #32 on: 19 October, 2014, 01:53:27 pm »

Nearest Apple Store to me is Cambridge (a good hour away, and I'm not free to go when it's open!). One of my Macs is a 27" iMac, so that's not going anywhere anyway, but the one I'm trying to update is my little MBA. I set it to download the night before I buggered off to JFK, expecting it to have completed in the 48 hours till I got back. No such luck - 2.79Gb of 5.16Gb in that time. Now 10 hours later, and we're up to 3.13Gb. Oh, the delights of BT 'broadband' in rural Essex!

At the current rate, that'll be sometime in November. 4.1gb so far...

simonp

« Reply #33 on: 19 October, 2014, 02:42:11 pm »
Downloaded in about 1h30 in Somerset. Now installing.

simonp

« Reply #34 on: 19 October, 2014, 03:00:09 pm »
Is done.

That dock looks awful.

simonp

« Reply #35 on: 19 October, 2014, 03:09:47 pm »
Handoff doesn’t work - I suspect the same issue that’s stopped iPhone wifi sync recently.

CBA to troubleshoot - gym is calling.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #36 on: 19 October, 2014, 03:22:53 pm »
Have to agree with Simon, the dock's a cockup. Upgraded the MacBook on the first night (download was quick enough but the install seemed to take nearly an hour), no problems with that so I've now updated the newer Mac Pro this morning- the old MP is a 1,1 and therefore not going to run anything past 10.7 without hacks I can't be bothered with. Once I switched the transparency to the reduced setting, it looks good (dock excepted) and haven't run into any issues yet. Like the new notification centre, the new font seems perfectly readable to me, no performance slowdowns after the initial optimisations (the MacBook's an early '09 with 4GB of RAM so that's helpful!).
Apple's servers seem to be having issues- gave up trying to download the installer on the MP and copied the MacBook's copy over. Updates for other software downloaded at usual speed.

ian

« Reply #37 on: 19 October, 2014, 03:57:40 pm »
Slight diversion - I promise I’ll stop soon:

In Keychain Access / login / passwords / (properties of) network passwords* for NAS / access control, should it be “confirm access for this item” or “allow all apps to access this item”?

*I have no idea why there are two entries for the same NAS, differing only in that one is named as the name of the NAS and the other as the IP of the NAS.

It's not well named – 'allow all apps' means everything can use the saved keychain. 'Confirm' locks it down.

For reasons best known to Finestre, the Demon of Such Things, computers names and SMB or AFP addresses are all treated individually and will have their own entries in the keychain (and elsewhere, like the Finder).

I like the new dock – it seems simple and elegant – and the death of skeuomorphism in general. Helvetica is failing to grow. It's awful at that size, the letters blur on the edge of illegibility against dark backgrounds – ye gads, look the aperture in 'e' (well, you can't, because it's closed up completely) and the way all the letters shuffle uncomfortably together like they're being herded for an embarrassing group photo. I'm sure it looks fine on a lush 5K display (actually I'm not, it's not great on a retina iPad). OK, I'm a once-upon-a-time designer and certified font nerd, and Lucida Grande wasn't exactly exciting but it was a robust and very legible UI font. Just because they've fallen in love with Helvetica Neue Light in their ads (and it does look good), scaling it down for use the OS isn't a terribly good design decision. I can live with it, but it lends a kind of amateurishness to the UI. That should be the kind of detail that detail that Apple focus on. I'd imagine it particularly awful for users with vision issues. To be honest, it's a bit dull too. Helvetica gets used everywhere. When you see fonts like Chicago and Lucida Grande you think Apple. You see Helvetica and think airport signage and cosmetic counters.

Stuttery sound is down to the Bluetooth*. Time to start nuking some settings.

(Yes, if you have multiple machines, just copy the downloaded installer from the Applications folder – before you run it, it deletes itself – to install on other machines.)

*edit: seems to be a common problem, so if you're reliant on playing audio via a Bluetooth link, you might want to be cautious about upgrading, it's unlistenable on my machine.

« Reply #38 on: 19 October, 2014, 05:26:12 pm »
Once I switched the transparency to the reduced setting, it looks good (dock excepted)

Have you tried it in Dark Mode? System Prefs > General > Appearance. The best I can do with the Dock is to turn transparency back on again and use dark mode.

iTunes has misbehaved with my NAS. There has been foul language. Gradually, though, I think it is all sorting itself out. All of this stuff was perfectly ok all day yesterday.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #39 on: 19 October, 2014, 05:57:25 pm »
It's weird that the account list comes up on the MBP screen, not the attached display like it used to, and as Dez says, the thermometer bar during start-up is very disconcerting.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #40 on: 19 October, 2014, 05:58:59 pm »
You all need to go into System Preferences : Spotlight and turn off Spotlight Suggestions and Bing Searches unless you want stuff sent back to Apple. Apparently.

« Reply #41 on: 19 October, 2014, 06:19:58 pm »
On the subject of sending stuff back, is anyone using Duckduckgo as their search engine? Seems ok, but I don’t know if I’ll switch permanently.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #42 on: 19 October, 2014, 07:01:13 pm »
Our IT department have said DON'T for the time being. There are some wrinkles that break things. I'm still on 10.8.5 whatever that may be.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #43 on: 19 October, 2014, 07:17:44 pm »
It keeps firing up iTunes and playing something random when plugged into the AV player. Not very friendly seeing as I'm trying to watch a film.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #44 on: 19 October, 2014, 07:19:25 pm »
Oh and the green button has changed from "maximise" to "full screen".
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #45 on: 19 October, 2014, 07:40:12 pm »
Oh and the green button has changed from "maximise" to "full screen".

It was never really maximise, sometimes it was, sometimes it was whatever the developer thought was the ideal window size. Anyway, if you want the old functionality, hold option down and the 'plus' reappears.

I get the accounts list on the secondary monitor, then it flips back to the primary.

Bluetooth audio works on newer Macbook Air, just not the early-2009 Mac Mini. I hope they fix that, my stereo system is on the other side of my office.

TimC

« Reply #46 on: 19 October, 2014, 09:24:01 pm »

At the current rate, that'll be sometime in November. 4.1gb so far...
I have it! Well, on the MBA anyway. Looks OK, if a bit Tonka-ish. Haven't noticed any practical difference as yet.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #47 on: 19 October, 2014, 09:29:35 pm »
Wait, what?

You can update the OS on a Fruit Device?   Is that not a Heresy?  Surly the One True Way is to discard the 6-month old brick and purchase a new shiney?

TimC

« Reply #48 on: 19 October, 2014, 09:44:23 pm »
Wait, what?

You can update the OS on a Fruit Device?   Is that not a Heresy?  Surly the One True Way is to discard the 6-month old brick and purchase a new shiney?

After 5 days getting the update, that is Not Funny.

ian

« Reply #49 on: 19 October, 2014, 09:53:51 pm »
Wait, what?

I wish. This brick claims to hail from early-2009. I may have to Retina-up before Helvetica abrades my retina.