Author Topic: Crash bang wallop!  (Read 1369 times)

Crash bang wallop!
« on: 26 October, 2010, 07:14:30 pm »
I completed a rare achievement today - I now have a matching pair of accidents between lowracer and DF!  :-*

In this case, being u-turned into while passing stationary traffic... a chap got bored of waiting and decided to break out of the queue, and got my inner ring down the door for his trouble. Sadly no video (sorry!) as I stopped feeling the need for a headcam down low.

He was terribly apologetic and admitted he just hadn't bothered to look behind at all - something I could have told him since I had him in view the whole time. To be fair I think he might have thought I was disabled in his panic (and he didn't realise about his door I'm sure - otherwise perhaps he might have got a bit more grumpy!)

A few years ago I was nailed by a motorist who u-turned out of a parking bay on my (normal) racer and narrowly missed a broken foot, as well as a bunch of bruising. This time, I may have lost some of the oil from the ring, I'm not completely sure.  8)

The soles of my feet didn't notice anything - this is the way to travel.

Re: Crash bang wallop!
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2010, 07:36:21 pm »
Oh noes!  But only on there being no video.  :P

LOL, I'm really glad you're fine, and the bike's fine!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2010, 08:23:26 pm »
Ee.  Hope you & bike are both OK.
Getting there...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2010, 09:24:42 pm »
Not having one's head in the crumple zone has some advantages.

Hope you stay well, and that you don't find anything wrong with the bike.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2010, 10:23:25 pm »
Yes, the steel teeth of the chainrings manage a bit better than their flesh and blood equivalents! (I've managed to lose a couple of those doing a faceplant over the bars)

Hi ho. Most of the time when I have a close encounter there is something to take home, like don't hesitate, don't ride so close to the gutter, don't pull the front brake when you're cornering hard (that one cost me a new mech and a new sock!) but in this case, I'm not sure really. It's just a good example that if you decide not to wait in line like a car, you're adding interactions that could go wrong because not everybody takes adequate care all of the time - reinforces my policy of not spanking past stationary traffic at 30mph, although in this case I was puffing up hill at about a third of that...

That and it's good to ride a sensible bike, from an injury-prevention point of view  :P

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:07:16 pm »
glad your ok . that will be one driver who will look next time  :)
the slower you go the more you see