Author Topic: [HAMR] 7 day record  (Read 4202 times)

[HAMR] 7 day record
« on: 21 January, 2015, 12:39:47 pm »
According to WikiP the current 7 day WR  is 1546 miles. Assuming this is accurate, is there not a fairly reasonable chance of this being broken by one of the current riders?

Seven days

On Sunday 17 March 1940 Pat Hawkins, an 18 year old female from Western Australia, set the 'World Seven Days record' in Perth, having ridden 1,546.8 miles (2,489.3 km) to surpass the previous best (1,438.4 miles (2,314.9 km)) set by Mrs Valda [or Ada Vera] Unthank of Hastings, Victoria. Hawkins also broke the West Australian records for one, two, three, four, five, six and seven days, plus surpassing the Australian professional men's record of Ossie Nicholson.[39][40]
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Re: 7 day record
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2015, 12:46:33 pm »
I'd expect Tarzan to break it first, then possibly Steve later on in June.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2015, 12:51:09 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=77121.0

heavily debated "record" which I bet Tommy G set a tough figure in his epic June-July period in 39

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2015, 01:08:40 pm »
This record is a highly mute point. Most RAAM riders ride much further than this every year during the race. Also on Strava Cycle_dr rode 1755 miles in a week last July.

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2015, 01:14:59 pm »
Don't need to go to July even. Tommy's mileages in June already break this record.

16/06/1939   238
17/06/1939   270
18/06/1939   204
19/06/1939   258
20/06/1939   295
21/06/1939   361
22/06/1939   289

Total 1915 miles.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2015, 03:36:14 pm »
Phew - glad this is completely spurious.  I would actually back myself (at say 3:1 odds) to do a 2400km week if everything went perfectly, flat roads etc (given a fortnight's salary, plus HAMR-style tracking )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2015, 03:51:41 pm »
Considering Kristof Allegaert covered the 2400 miles from London to Istanbul in 7 days and 23 hours to win last years TransContinental I'm sure he might have a claim in there too. And that ride is verified and tracked.
That time includes the ferry from Dover-Calais too.

« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2015, 04:37:20 pm »
Doing something like this for a year is mental. A week doesn't seem all that crazy.

So clearly this record has been broken many times over, but how come it doesn't get recorded- is this a Guinness one that noone has applied to do, or whatever the necessary hoops are?

Is anyone aware of any women having ridden further than Pat?!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2015, 05:01:24 pm »
It's clearly too dangerous for Guinness to recognise this as a record.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 21 January, 2015, 05:12:56 pm »
Guinness is not the only record-keeper, merely the most famous. Most of these distance records were quietly dropped by the various national cycling bodies (or cycling magazines) as they became more UCI-focused.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:11:20 pm »
Doing something like this for a year is mental. A week doesn't seem all that crazy.

So clearly this record has been broken many times over, but how come it doesn't get recorded- is this a Guinness one that noone has applied to do, or whatever the necessary hoops are?

Just about any woman who ever finished RAAM.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 21 January, 2015, 06:53:29 pm »
... for which Wiki tells us:
The fastest woman was Seana Hogan in 1995, who averaged 13.23 mph (21.29 km/h) over 2,912 miles (4,686 km).

So that's about 2'222miles for 7 days (rather pleasingly) @317miles/day. She probably rode a bit faster in the first 7 days,  but hey , it gives LC a rough guide.

To beat Seana you'd probably need a RAAM-type setup, which is a massive undertaking financially, even in the UK and without paying RAAM's entry fee. Much cheaper would be a serious go at a CTT 24h - record is about 461miles (Christine Roberts 1993) IIRC.

I guess a "UK" UMCA-approved record is an option? trouble is you'd have to decide what is a "respectable" figure, when no record currently exists (assuming that it doesn't!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 21 January, 2015, 07:29:25 pm »

According to the Forger's Gazette, Pippa Middleton has ridden RAAM as a charity ride.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #14 on: 21 January, 2015, 07:56:16 pm »

According to the Forger's Gazette, Pippa Middleton has ridden RAAM as a charity ride.

She did it as part of an 8 person team.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 21 January, 2015, 07:59:41 pm »
I note that one of the corporate sponsors of RAAM is the Sierra Nevada brewery.  The words "standard" and "double" spring to mind.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 21 January, 2015, 08:14:42 pm »
UMCA's RAAM rules state that riders' jerseys aren't allowed to advertise alcohol ... except for beer.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #17 on: 21 January, 2015, 10:52:52 pm »
This record is a highly mute point. Most RAAM riders ride much further than this every year during the race.
Christoph Strasser reached timestation 48 (2802.8 miles) in 6 days 23 hours and  6 minutes last year, which I'd guess is the longest verifiable 7 day distance.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #18 on: 21 January, 2015, 11:23:18 pm »
UMCA's RAAM rules state that riders' jerseys aren't allowed to advertise alcohol ... except for beer.

UMCA does seem to have a pretty weird set of rules and regulations as well as  competitions.

If I read their results for 2014 correctly ( in my age group)

2014   70+   M   standard   1   30   156.0   3237   Ingraham, Bill

This gentleman is their  M70 World champion - having ridden 156 miles in a 24 hour event . But then as he is the only M70 member of UMCA who rode in any qualifying events at all --  he must be the World champion as defined by UMCA.

Quite ridiculous
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

simonp

« Reply #19 on: 22 January, 2015, 12:35:25 am »
You gotta be in it to win it.

« Reply #20 on: 22 January, 2015, 12:57:32 am »

I suspect she rode about 10 miles and was there for the media circus that surrounds her (admittedly very nice) bottom.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #21 on: 22 January, 2015, 05:51:03 am »
Can't say if it was an equal eighth but she did ride a fair bit of it.
Local reports had 'mericans standing on streets waving at riders in a race they'd never previously known went right by their front door, then getting kind of upset when she rode by them rather than stop for tea and chat or something.

RAAM is no beerahol during, but plenty flowing at the finish line. It makes reasonable enough sense in that context. HAM'R, not so.

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #22 on: 22 January, 2015, 09:27:48 am »
There wasn't a huge media circus around her riding the RAAM. She was part of team that rode for charity. Fair do's to her and credit where credit is due, she got on with it and did her fair share of riding. Apparently she's a very keen cyclist anyway.

« Reply #23 on: 22 January, 2015, 10:04:51 am »
I suspect she rode about 10 miles and was there for the media circus that surrounds her (admittedly very nice) bottom.
I think you should do your research before casting aspersions, or you are in the same camp as the people who flag Steve's strava rides as 'done in a car'.

I was surprised when I heard about Pippa in RAAM so I looked into it. She did as much as the rest of her team, spinning the pedals at a very respectable rate that many of us would battle to keep up with. Just because her sister married into the inbred privileged doesn't mean she isn't a cyclist.

Maybe there is a reason why she has a notably honed bottom.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #24 on: 23 January, 2015, 11:19:42 am »
To beat Seana you'd probably need a RAAM-type setup, which is a massive undertaking financially, even in the UK and without paying RAAM's entry fee. Much cheaper would be a serious go at a CTT 24h - record is about 461miles (Christine Roberts 1993) IIRC.

461.45 miles.

Christine Minto (nee Moody) has also held that record.  I was relieved to find that there's been one other holder (A.E. Mann of the Hainault RC) as I was starting to think you had to be called Christine to hold that record.

On an aside, while I was looking that up I noticed that the women's 12 hour trike record is 'only' 216 miles.  If JES is reading this: do you have any designs on that record?