Author Topic: [HAMR] March 10th  (Read 6847 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
[HAMR] March 10th
« on: 10 March, 2015, 04:58:37 am »
All the boxes-that-beep have been charged and refitted, the bottles filled and the saddle bag packed.... and he's off!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: March 10th
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2015, 05:01:13 am »
Excellent work! But only 6 hours between the end of one day and the start of the next...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2015, 06:17:26 am »
I suspect that there wil be many days such as yesterday when he puts in overtime to maintain his schedule
 :facepalm:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2015, 06:20:59 am »
Well done Crinkly Lion

Go Steve
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: 10 March, 2015, 06:46:47 am »
Yesterday looked like an effort. 

Hopefully today offers some jolly cycling for Mr Abrahams.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #5 on: 10 March, 2015, 06:55:04 am »
All the boxes-that-beep have been charged and refitted, the bottles filled and the saddle bag packed.... and he's off!

:thumbsup:

H

« Reply #6 on: 10 March, 2015, 07:03:43 am »
It's  a very  nice morning in the Vale of York, with  sunshine and a very light breeze. Not too warm but good cycling conditions.
Well done ,  Crinkly for hosting Steve, especially as it's schooltime .

Vote for  Steve

« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2015, 07:50:09 am »
Fantastic effort yesterday...looking forward to see if he'll match the distance again today ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #8 on: 10 March, 2015, 07:59:56 am »
Well done Crinkles.
Obviously Steve will be slow to start this morning, untill he has eaten some of the cake mountain ;D
GO STEVE

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:04:01 am »
Well done Crinkly Lion! Should be a medal* for the hosts - having heard at first hand what is being done way beyond the call of duty, when Steve's been down our way...

* Featuring a Mug of Tea [argent], Cake [sable], on an azure ground, with Sausage [rampant] and a Celtic Knot of wiring.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:05:03 am »
Go Steve!
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #11 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:10:14 am »
There was no cake for the saddlebag.... well, I only found out yesterday that he was coming!  So, just half a dozen sossidges, half a pound of mousetrap and some flapjack that I made while we were watching the tracker working out which was he'd come in :D

Steve's plan was always for his visit here to be a real flyer, so there was less to do than usual and I got a good three hours sleep before waking up to get the coffee on and then another hour or so once he was on his way before it was time to get Cubs and me ready for school.

Deano probably deserves the medal, mind, having come down from Darlo so that he could ride out to meet TG and guide him in.  We sat watching the tracker and predicting routes until that 'It's going to be Wiggy Road!' moment and then he nipped out to find TG, rode back here and ran a rag over the bike etc before setting off to try and charm his way onto the very last train north (East Coast Virgin) without a bike reservation or face the prospect of a bit of a ride home before going to work today.  Fortunately the charm worked!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:11:54 am »
Deano is especially charming! :)

And a good man :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:19:42 am »
The hosts should be listed on the Wikipedia page.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #14 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:29:33 am »
There was no cake for the saddlebag.... well, I only found out yesterday that he was coming!  So, just half a dozen sossidges, half a pound of mousetrap and some flapjack that I made while we were watching the tracker working out which was he'd come in :D

Steve's plan was always for his visit here to be a real flyer, so there was less to do than usual and I got a good three hours sleep before waking up to get the coffee on and then another hour or so once he was on his way before it was time to get Cubs and me ready for school.

Deano probably deserves the medal, mind, having come down from Darlo so that he could ride out to meet TG and guide him in.  We sat watching the tracker and predicting routes until that 'It's going to be Wiggy Road!' moment and then he nipped out to find TG, rode back here and ran a rag over the bike etc before setting off to try and charm his way onto the very last train north (East Coast Virgin) without a bike reservation or face the prospect of a bit of a ride home before going to work today.  Fortunately the charm worked!

Deano as guide and bike valet, Crinkles as host and provision supplier. Fantastic. I know TG deserves it, but you two are wonderful.

Go HOSTS!
Go STEVE!

« Reply #15 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:39:54 am »
Difficult to think of a better combo.   Nice one.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:43:34 am »
Well done Crinkly  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:59:27 am »
Well done the both of you!   :thumbsup:

Worried about Steve keeping up this kind of effort.  Sooner or later the Sandman cometh.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #18 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:12:29 am »
Yes, you would be hard pushed to find a better qualified team for the job.
Well done both!

« Reply #19 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:17:47 am »
No need to worry about Steve.   He is an experienced endurance cyclist and knows his body and capabilities well.   He also knows where the audax shelters of the UK are, the best value eateries, the road network like the back of his hand and, of course, he has the cyclist's nous.

There is also of course the AUK and YACF national support network - let's face it, who here wouldn't respond to a 'distress' call?

He'll be fine, just fine.  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:18:56 am »
One thing I have learned about Steve is that he knows what he's doing.
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 10 March, 2015, 09:27:40 am »
The sign he can get to sleep so quick is a that he’s not flooded with adrenaline.
Which means he’s not doing anything over-strenuous for his ability.

Just a little tiredness after a leisurely day’s cycling.  ;)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: 10 March, 2015, 10:12:15 am »
Our Dunmow [actually Takeley] host Alex, being a 12/24 enduro rider [and a Paramedic too], took a close interest in Steve's sleep patterns: straight into deep, quality REM sleep and little else. He reckons a few hours like that every night should be plenty - not like us lightweights who need 8 hours plus.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #23 on: 10 March, 2015, 11:41:15 am »
Perhaps TG is the reincarnation of MT! :o
Getting there...

« Reply #24 on: 10 March, 2015, 12:04:25 pm »
He's motoring today - 108 miles in just under 7hrs. With the under-estimation of the tracker, he's almost certainly done a few more.

GO STEVE