Author Topic: Battery packs and chargers for 2x18650 cells (for a Fenix BT20)  (Read 2088 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Battery packs and chargers for 2x18650 cells (for a Fenix BT20)
« on: 26 October, 2015, 08:41:00 pm »
The hour has changed and I'll be using the BT20 on the commute.  I'd like to get a spare battery pack, fill both packs with cells (2x protected 18650 each) and then have a charger that will plug into the lead so I can charge the packs without opening them and juggling cells - and then preferably have two chargers, one at home and one at work. 

Users of the BT20 and/or other lights that run off the same batteries: do such things exist?  Can you recommend any?

Re: Battery packs and chargers for 2x18650 cells (for a Fenix BT20)
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2015, 11:20:18 pm »
Yes, I bought this charger a couple of weeks ago and can recommend it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IXHEDUK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Canwelum Rechargeable 3.7V 18650 Lithium Ion Battery and Charger with Standard UK Plug BS1363, Powerful 18650 Li-ion Battery with Protective Board and Bigger Power Capacity - Applicable for Torches, Not for E-cig (A Set of 2 x Batteries & 1 x Charger)

« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2015, 12:20:11 am »
Yes, I bought this charger a couple of weeks ago and can recommend it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IXHEDUK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Canwelum Rechargeable 3.7V 18650 Lithium Ion Battery and Charger with Standard UK Plug BS1363, Powerful 18650 Li-ion Battery with Protective Board and Bigger Power Capacity - Applicable for Torches, Not for E-cig (A Set of 2 x Batteries & 1 x Charger)

If the plug is as pictured on the Amazon website, it doesn't meet BS1363. The earth pin on the plug in the picture is partially insulated, which is wrong. The pin should be entirely metal or if the cable is 2 core, the pin can be entirely plastic. I would regard any plug like one in the photo as suspicious.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2015, 07:42:01 am »
This may not help,  but I have a 'switching AC/DC power adaptor' plug (DC 4.2V 1000mA) which charges a std four 18650 pack for a XML-T6 ebay bike light - and came with the light. edit.  though unlike BT20 pack (AFAICS) - female end is on power pack - male end on light.

PS.  some discussion on Mtbr.com re. fenix cases...

PS2. this is my individual 18650 (et al) battery charger for XML-T6 torch (1x cell)...  Nitecore i2 multi-function battery charger  (Has fully metal earth pin)

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2015, 11:59:09 am »
I'm looking for integrated units like this one

I already have a separate battery charger but unscrewing it and juggling batteries is one bit of faff I don't need.  I thought I was fairly clear in my OP but apparently I wasn't - well either I wasn't or else DocStrange needs English comprehension lessons.

What I need to work out about the one in the link is:

1) Is the connector the same as the one on my BT20 (not necessarily a show stopper as I can always fit a new connector)
2) Where can I get one of these but with decent cells?  ISTR that buying anything with 'fire' in the name is a bad idea.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2015, 01:21:02 pm »
I think a good option would be to buy a cheap pack like the one illustrated - for the sake of the cable and rubber condom at least, then buy replacement cells separately if you think you can find better.  The individual cells can be unprotected when the pack includes an overall protection circuit board.  That's what I found in Andrew Br's pack that looks exactly the same.  Cells can be soldered without heat damage if you're quick.

I appreciate that's faff, but one-off faff.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 27 October, 2015, 01:44:48 pm »
You could try MTB Batteries. http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-batteries/
Not sure if they have anything that matches, but they can probably make you a custom pack (with decent cells) if required. Plus they have suitable chargers.

« Reply #7 on: 27 October, 2015, 01:56:07 pm »
> I already have a separate battery charger but unscrewing it and juggling batteries is one bit of faff I don't need.  I thought I was fairly clear in my OP but apparently I wasn't - well either I wasn't or else DocStrange needs English comprehension lessons.

Doc Strange realised this the moment after he had pressed the Post button...

« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2015, 12:25:42 pm »
1) Is the connector the same as the one on my BT20 (not necessarily a show stopper as I can always fit a new connector)
2) Where can I get one of these but with decent cells?  ISTR that buying anything with 'fire' in the name is a bad idea.
The connector will almost certainly be the same as the one on your BT20 - but the wrong way round. It'll be the same as the one on the light, not the one on the battery case. You'll need an adapter with a plug on each end, to connect the battery pack to the light. Can be fettled at home.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897