Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 119001 times)

Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #200 on: 29 October, 2018, 07:09:57 am »
Bit of rain forecast for later this week, but that may well pass before we ride on Saturday. Still too early to really know what conditions will be like.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #201 on: 29 October, 2018, 08:27:15 am »
True, forecast could change massively by Saturday, either way.  Luckily entries close Friday allowing a late decision.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #202 on: 29 October, 2018, 08:52:55 am »
... Luckily entries close Friday allowing a late decision.
Entry OTL possible too  ;)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #203 on: 29 October, 2018, 09:29:22 am »
Enjoyed all of these last year, and have them in the plan again.

Weather is looking sh!t for Saturday though.

It's a bit far out at the moment so still time to change, but it looks dry with a strong SSW wind - so might not be too bad (hopefully!)  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #204 on: 29 October, 2018, 10:00:28 am »
With gout spelling an end or my RRtY run (after 55 months) I'm looking forward to not ECEing these and enjoying a 100 with the option of taking a train back home if I fancy  ;D. Unfortunately the gout does mean I'll need to seriously moderate the beer consumption, I think!

Looking forward to catching up with folk, feels like I haven't been out with anyone for AGES!

« Reply #205 on: 29 October, 2018, 10:05:18 am »
I keep getting it into my head Witham is only 70 miles away, but it's 80-83 miles, depending on the route. Every time I ride over, I think about adding another 25 miles or so onto the outward leg, turning it into another 400km event. With stopping off at the awards do, I should have banked extra time and, as I shouldn't need nine hours to do 107km (unless I've now jinxed it), I could aim to arrive at the 'spoons at 10am, enjoy my veggie brekky as it goes quiet, then hopefully catch someone up.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #206 on: 29 October, 2018, 02:44:34 pm »
I'm in.  ECEing it.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #207 on: 29 October, 2018, 02:47:25 pm »
I'm in.  ECEing it.
Finishing your ECE at ACME's spiritual home, The Compasses @ Littley Green, for the Awards Presentation?
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #208 on: 29 October, 2018, 03:11:50 pm »
I can't come to the Compasses either. Catherine and Little Tippers are in London watching some Harry Potter show so I am in charge (or something that may resemble it) on Saturday evening, damn it!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #209 on: 29 October, 2018, 04:26:50 pm »
I can't come to the Compasses either. Catherine and Little Tippers are in London watching some Harry Potter show so I am in charge (or something that may resemble it) on Saturday evening, damn it!

We need an ACME babysitting service or creche!

« Reply #210 on: 29 October, 2018, 04:52:23 pm »
We already look after you and the Straggler  :facepalm:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #211 on: 29 October, 2018, 04:57:33 pm »

Rude!

« Reply #212 on: 29 October, 2018, 05:07:44 pm »
Is there a free pint if I wear my ACME jersey (might be too cold though) instead of my Team MK one, lol?

« Reply #213 on: 29 October, 2018, 05:56:00 pm »
Is there a free pint if I wear my ACME jersey

Nothing in life is free. But if you would like to see this happen, just slip me a fiver and I'll see what I can do.

As I'm sure many will do, I am ECEing. 85km up front, so I'll be aiming to hit the Wetherspoons for a hearty second breakfast before the start at 10am.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #214 on: 29 October, 2018, 05:58:11 pm »
I'm in.  ECEing it.
Finishing your ECE at ACME's spiritual home, The Compasses @ Littley Green, for the Awards Presentation?

Nope.

Pausing briefly to partake of sustenance and listen to tall tales of derring-do a-wheel, and to pick up my sixth Essex SR badge, yes — and then getting back on the trusty steed to complete a 100 + 200km ECE :)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #215 on: 29 October, 2018, 06:02:55 pm »
As I'm sure many will do, I am ECEing. 85km up front, so I'll be aiming to hit the Wetherspoons for a hearty second breakfast before the start at 10am.

Second breakfast?!  85km isn't even far enough to earn a first breakfast around these parts  ::-)

When you see me lying in a quivering heap somewhere near the info control then you'll know I've overestimated my fasted-riding ability ... :facepalm:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #216 on: 29 October, 2018, 06:48:31 pm »
I'm going 80/20k for my ECEs: 3Rs finishing at Littley Green will actually be spot-on for distance, unlike the other 3 Winter Series back to Dunmow, slightly over ... never mind the 270km for 'Sourcy Suffolk' the other week - should have made it a 300.

Route out is all B roads, nice and simple: Dunmow, Saffron Walden, Sible Hedingham and Earls Colne to Witham - see some of you on the road no doubt. No McDonalds [A505] unlike last time, but the S. Hedingham garage will be open for hot drinks.

ElyDave

« Reply #217 on: 29 October, 2018, 07:28:26 pm »
Current circumstances make it an almost cert that I'll be there just for a change of atmosphere, unless it is actually biblical - I got wet yesterday and managed not to drown even with my head facing sort of upwards.  Looking forward to an Essex Energy DrinkTM

« Reply #218 on: 29 October, 2018, 11:05:04 pm »
Hoping to make this my first ECE, finishing at the Compasses (bonus miles for the cycle home). My route doesn't sound half as fun (or as circular) as Tomsk's.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #219 on: 29 October, 2018, 11:08:32 pm »

Rude!

+1

I'm pondering whether to ece the event as I will be attending the ACME awards afterwards and then camp overnight at the compasses. Don't fancy lugging camping gear around all day with forecast strong winds...
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #220 on: 29 October, 2018, 11:13:44 pm »
Camping in November?

« Reply #221 on: 30 October, 2018, 06:49:19 am »
Don't fancy lugging camping gear around all day with forecast strong winds...

Plan your ECE route to drop the camping gear off early, then enjoy a lighter setup for the rest of the day?

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #222 on: 30 October, 2018, 01:22:17 pm »
Don't fancy lugging camping gear around all day with forecast strong winds...

Plan your ECE route to drop the camping gear off early, then enjoy a lighter setup for the rest of the day?

That's a smart idea. I will lug the camping gear around till the event start in Witham and quietly drop it off onto your rear rack! Sorted. Saves at least 100km. Much appreciated. ;)

Camping in November is not too bad. Pitched up separate tents with Calvin (current Acme award holder) few years back after awards presentation.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #223 on: 30 October, 2018, 02:12:40 pm »
I am looking at the weather to decide on which of 1. finish at the Compasses then taxi home 2. finish at the Compasses and camp or 3. finish at home
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

ElyDave

« Reply #224 on: 30 October, 2018, 02:21:34 pm »
Decision taken out of my hands. Currently sat in Bury St Edmunds a&e having been SMIDSY’d on this mornings ride.
Failure to stop at a roundabout.  Left hand side took the impact quite sore elbow and left groin/ hip.