Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 119339 times)

Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #350 on: 23 January, 2019, 04:28:53 pm »
I'm aiming to get along for the Helpers ride this weekend and I am happy to stamp cards on the day at Purleigh if that is still helpful Huggy.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #351 on: 23 January, 2019, 04:37:11 pm »
I'm aiming to get along for the Helpers ride this weekend and I am happy to stamp cards on the day at Purleigh if that is still helpful Huggy.
Thanks tippers!
Looks like we have our two control stampers
Purleigh            17km    10:20        11:25        tippers
Margaretting     37km    10:58        13:05        jibbers
 :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #352 on: 23 January, 2019, 04:38:48 pm »
 :thumbsup: I suspect I will be on 2 wheels but of the motorised variety!

« Reply #353 on: 23 January, 2019, 05:32:51 pm »
Re Margaretting, my experience from last year having stood at the crossroads for half the time was that not every rider stopped for a card stamp. Possibly the riders going past were not on the ride, but they looked suspiciously like audaxers.

The AUK sign was up on a pole, but I wasn't wearing cycling gear. So my advice would be to make the control more conspicuous in some way. If only we had a caravan to appropriately deck out ...

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #354 on: 23 January, 2019, 05:36:12 pm »
Re Margaretting, my experience from last year having stood at the crossroads for half the time was that not every rider stopped for a card stamp. Possibly the riders going past were not on the ride, but they looked suspiciously like audaxers.

The AUK sign was up on a pole, but I wasn't wearing cycling gear. So my advice would be to make the control more conspicuous in some way. If only we had a caravan to appropriately deck out ...

lol - I was planning on parking up my brompton and having an AUK sign on teh back.  If they don't stop - then they don't get a stamp (or are just passing through - its a popular route through )
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #355 on: 23 January, 2019, 05:54:48 pm »
Based on my experiences at Pebmarsh a few will require shouting at and a few will probably miss me. An AUK sign and and ACME Sign will be up I reckon.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #356 on: 23 January, 2019, 06:05:34 pm »
Based on my experiences at Pebmarsh a few will require shouting at and a few will probably miss me. An AUK sign and and ACME Sign will be up I reckon.

I'm planning on being in ACME gear - should be easy enough to spot :)
Regards,

Joergen

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #357 on: 25 January, 2019, 08:36:14 am »
I'll carry a spare ACME gillet for the post box at Hartford End. Those with their eyes still open may notice.

« Reply #358 on: 26 January, 2019, 06:02:31 pm »
Having just repaired my Mercian after the ravages of the Oyster, I'm in ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #359 on: 27 January, 2019, 02:45:57 pm »
The route & info sheets and two GPX files have just emailed out to all on the start list so far.  Online entries open until Friday night on on-the-line entries are accepted (subject to brevets not selling out) and you bring along a completed entry form.
On the Helpers' ride yesterday we decided to try the Maldon bypass road as an option to going through he town centre and climb up Market Hill.  It's a bit of drag but perfectly acceptable if you want to avoid the town traffic.  Two GPX files are included in the instruction email, choose the one you'd like to follow.

The ACME Spiritual Home Compasses at Littley Green is expecting a lot of you to stop there for lunch and will serve you as quickly as possible; budget for an hour stop.  I recommend you order from the quick to prepare huffer menu, fish & chips, chilli or curry, e.g. not something pastry based that takes longer to cook.  Other food opportunities are noted on the info sheet if riding past the Compasses as it is not a control point.

Look forward to seeing 120+ of you on Saturday  :thumbsup:

« Reply #360 on: 27 January, 2019, 03:39:58 pm »
The Maldon bypass doesn’t go by the ‘spoons though!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #361 on: 27 January, 2019, 06:51:07 pm »
right, 90 mins on the turbo today says lets give it a bash, a) what coud possibly go wrong and b) there are plenty of escape routes if (a) happens
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #362 on: 27 January, 2019, 06:51:54 pm »
Helpers' Ride [+ECE for me] was a full value day out - under an hour in hand by the finish.

Six set off: Organiser Huggy, BFC, The Straggler, jiberjaber, tippers kiwi & myself; tippers nearly made it round, but turned left for an early finish. The usual Essex moton rude/lazy/thoughtless behaviour at times. Tubeless 'incidents': two of tippers requiring a stop for attention and a slowly deflating jibers front tyre just made it back. No plans to retire the Durano Plusses as yet ...

Lots of down time, with an hour for a 'spoons breakfast, about 1h20 at the Compasses for lunch too. So much warmer than last weekend, but still longs and gloves needed. A touch of drizzle at times, but only properly wet for the last hour on my way home.

« Reply #363 on: 29 January, 2019, 02:36:10 pm »
It was a superb day out. Being my first ride of anything near 100km since November I decided that turning left to head home and save myself some retracing was the better course of action, it won some brownie points as well which was a bonus.

This is only the second time I have ridden the route and I mentioned to Huggy a couple of times the changes since the first running (taking out the A414 from Maldon to Danbury) and staying on the South side of the A120 make it a super lovely route.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #364 on: 29 January, 2019, 03:05:19 pm »
A grand day out as usual, looking forward to stamping your cards on Saturday  :thumbsup:

Happy with my tubeless setup, some sort of puncture within the last 6km took the pressure down from 55 to circa 35psi but still more than enough to see me back to the Arrivee - I didn't bother trying to put any air in as whilst it was soft and bouncy when out of the saddle it was still OK to ride on.  When I attended to it on Sunday the pressure was at 20psi, I took a look around the tyre - there's some big slices in there but no evidence of which might be the culprit.... I pumped it up to it's max 70psi and it's held that since :)  Interestingly - there is usualy a tell tail latex type covering under the mudguards but that is conspiuous by it's absence!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #365 on: 29 January, 2019, 03:27:10 pm »
Jiber

Huggy, Tomsk and OD think that tubeless tyres are some sort of witchcraft.  Best leave the old timers to their ways.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #366 on: 29 January, 2019, 03:36:23 pm »
This is only the second time I have ridden the route and I mentioned to Huggy a couple of times the changes since the first running (taking out the A414 from Maldon to Danbury) and staying on the South side of the A120 make it a super lovely route.

Likewise I enjoyed the revised route much better.

Weather looking good for Saturday, but need to see how quickly the roads clear after the snow. I might be riding the tank rather than the whippet.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #367 on: 29 January, 2019, 03:39:54 pm »
Jiber

Huggy, Tomsk and OD think that tubeless tyres are some sort of witchcraft.  Best leave the old timers to their ways.
using a tube would have been a quicker fix on Saturday, just sayin  :P

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #368 on: 29 January, 2019, 07:13:21 pm »
Jiber

;D Modern 'old school' tyres n'tube [eg anything Schwalbe with 'plus' in the name] are so much better than in the bad old days; I'm just grateful I don't have to faff with double inner tubes, tuffy tape etc [and even then glass, flints etc got through and then abraded the threads from the inside, between the kevlar tape and the tyre]. Michelin World Tour in 27" x 1.25" was nice easy rolling rubber but woefully fragile, so you ended up with a ton of reinforcement to get them to work in the real world.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #369 on: 29 January, 2019, 07:43:20 pm »
Physio says nothing significantly wrong now, all niggles from building back up to where I was. Will take a while, but no reason not to have a bash this weekend.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #370 on: 29 January, 2019, 08:23:57 pm »
Physio says nothing significantly wrong now, all niggles from building back up to where I was. Will take a while, but no reason not to have a bash this weekend.

Thats great news Dave  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #371 on: 30 January, 2019, 02:56:42 pm »
Assuming it isn't icy (forecast looks OK at the moment) I plan to start Saturday's ride.  If anyone fancies a slow pootle round you're welcome to provide me with a wheel to follow  :thumbsup:

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #372 on: 30 January, 2019, 03:24:10 pm »
Assuming it isn't icy (forecast looks OK at the moment) I plan to start Saturday's ride.  If anyone fancies a slow pootle round you're welcome to provide me with a wheel to follow  :thumbsup:

I plan to start.
I do not plan to provide anyone with a wind, rain or snow break.
However, I do plan to put into practice again my newly found Turn Left skill at the first sign of ice, snow, wind, rain or - and more likely - a warm dry cafe or pub.  ;D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #373 on: 30 January, 2019, 03:55:27 pm »

I plan to start.
However, I do plan to put into practice again my newly found Turn Left skill at the first sign of ice, snow, wind, rain or - and more likely - a warm dry cafe or pub.  ;D

OK, we'll share the wind breaking duties.  And if there's any turning left required I'll be right on your wheel.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #374 on: 30 January, 2019, 05:45:36 pm »

I plan to start.
However, I do plan to put into practice again my newly found Turn Left skill at the first sign of ice, snow, wind, rain or - and more likely - a warm dry cafe or pub;D

Hmmm ... Compasses abound on this ride ...  ;D