Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2971598 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #24525 on: Yesterday at 12:35:51 pm »
Speaking of which, buses.
Waited for a bus which didn't come this morning. It's no wonder the general populace drive everywhere.

There is a train which allegedly goes from London Liverpoo Street to ely at 1707. I've stopped bothering to try and catch that one because I've never actually seen it in real life. And not being arsed to wader over to KC, I now end up on the 1807, which at least exists, and is generally not too crowded.

I think the 1707h goes direct to Hogwarts...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24526 on: Yesterday at 01:28:07 pm »
The installation of which leads to another sweary rant...  ;D

I recently fitted a set of M+ to my commuting e-bike and it was a surprisingly painless experience.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #24527 on: Yesterday at 02:59:47 pm »
The installation of which leads to another sweary rant...  ;D

I recently fitted a set of M+ to my commuting e-bike and it was a surprisingly painless experience.

Try getting the feckers off when you've finally managed to get a p*ncture...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

citoyen

« Reply #24528 on: Yesterday at 06:53:44 pm »
Proxy rant on behalf of my colleague…

Overnight, her surname was changed on our IT systems from Miller to Muller, as result of which she has been locked out of various accounts for software (eg Adobe) because her email address doesn’t match.

IT said it was HR’s responsibility but HR say she’s correctly listed on their system so it’s not their problem.

IT then said she needs to submit a request for a change of name via her manager, a process than requires various bits of paperwork as evidence to support the change. Which she obviously doesn’t have.

They can’t/won’t tell her who made the change or why. Because of course they can’t.

It’s like a scene from Brazil. Insane.

« Reply #24529 on: Yesterday at 07:04:53 pm »
Proxy rant on behalf of my colleague…

Overnight, her surname was changed on our IT systems from Miller to Muller, as result of which she has been locked out of various accounts for software (eg Adobe) because her email address doesn’t match.

IT said it was HR’s responsibility but HR say she’s correctly listed on their system so it’s not their problem.

IT then said she needs to submit a request for a change of name via her manager, a process than requires various bits of paperwork as evidence to support the change. Which she obviously doesn’t have.

They can’t/won’t tell her who made the change or why. Because of course they can’t.

It’s like a scene from Brazil. Insane.
Just before I reached reading the end of your post, I was thinking Brazil.
Buttle, Tuttle and all that.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #24530 on: Yesterday at 07:10:53 pm »
I had this once at an employer, they wanted my email address to have my name spelled wrong in it. I noped out.

My response to HR and IT would be "This is an unauthorised change to recording of my personal data, my name, and under GDPR article 5D CompanyName and agents have an obligation to process my personal data accurately and correct inaccuracies in a timely manner. Please correct my name in your systems to CorrectName which it was from StartDate to FailDate. Should you fail to do this, I shall require proof you have reporting CompanyName to the ICO for breach of GDPR article 5D within 72 hours of my email sent time, or I shall be making my own Data Protection Act complaint and internal grievance against CompanyName. I shall also not be responsible for any work I am unable to complete during this misprocessing of my data".

I don't fuck around. Either get my data right, or I'll smack people with the GDPR and threaten ICO. I once started sending 12 hour count downs to the DWP who eventually backed down from their "it's impossible, we don't have the data, you have to resend" position to "we found your data".

« Reply #24531 on: Yesterday at 07:28:29 pm »
Thorns?

Might be a situation for M+

[size=78%]Frayed knot. It's a BFO E-MTB and I need the knobblies/semi-knobblies that have both succumbed. I'd've thought that a Slime tube would seal a thorn puncture, but my faith is shaken. I think I'm going to try getting some new, normal tubes and using up some Slime fluid I have lying around. No tube I ever self-prepared had a puncture, so maybe they skimp with the pre-filled ones?[/size]
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24532 on: Yesterday at 08:01:32 pm »
So someone's been transferring some records and made a simple typo but won't admit it and apparently isn't allowed to correct it?  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

« Reply #24533 on: Yesterday at 08:44:18 pm »
I thought to myself as I was writing that post, if there’s one person who knows what will be the right thing to say, it will be…

I don't fuck around.

Marvellous. Thanks, barakta. I’ve shared your suggested complaint wording with m’colleague. IT have told her that sorting it out is top priority but clearly not such a priority that they’ve fixed it yet…

citoyen

« Reply #24534 on: Yesterday at 08:46:02 pm »
So someone's been transferring some records and made a simple typo but won't admit it and apparently isn't allowed to correct it?  :o

Suspect they just think it’s not that important. But this is why we need the baraktas of this world.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24535 on: Yesterday at 08:53:53 pm »
I’d write a nice little letter on an actual piece of paper to my boss, copying in HR and IT detailing what happened, and pointing out that due to no fault of yours, you can not do the job due to the incompetence of others. Ad then sit at my desk and do whatever work I could do without access to IT.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

barakta

« Reply #24536 on: Yesterday at 09:47:06 pm »

Suspect they just think it’s not that important. But this is why we need the baraktas of this world.

Oh accidents happen, but HR & IT should be falling over themselves to fix it, apologising and giving her unpaid leave if it's going to take some time.

This "oh you have to jump 8014683 hoops to remedy our mistake cos we're rule mavening fuckwits" brings out my inner rule mavening fuck-you law-bat.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #24537 on: Yesterday at 09:57:04 pm »
@barakta, have you ever thought about charging for your services? Your fryingpanofspang responses are priceless.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

barakta

« Reply #24538 on: Yesterday at 10:36:07 pm »
Sadly you then start having legal liability if you charge for advice.

I did consider "write (certain) complaints for quids" but I suspect I'd need to charge more than most people could afford and I might no longer find it entertaining! Often the people who need most support are the poorest and I know I have limited spoons for 1:1 work. That's one reason www.reasonableaccess.org.uk website got written, it's basically polite tidied up info, advice and polite-SPANG wording hooked on the work of my co-trustee and friend Doug Paulley who wrote a guide to suing for disability discrim called DART.

A friend calls my "DPA + Equality Act" spangs a "double Natalya".

citoyen

« Reply #24539 on: Today at 09:01:03 am »
Looks like m'colleague has her name back.  :thumbsup:

Completely bonkers that this could have happened but these things do happen - it's how the organisation deals with it when it does happen that really matters. They've been less than perfect in this instance but to be fair, not nearly as bad as they could have been.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #24540 on: Today at 12:02:37 pm »
I had this once at an employer, they wanted my email address to have my name spelled wrong in it. I noped out.

My response to HR and IT would be "This is an unauthorised change to recording of my personal data, my name, and under GDPR article 5D CompanyName and agents have an obligation to process my personal data accurately and correct inaccuracies in a timely manner. Please correct my name in your systems to CorrectName which it was from StartDate to FailDate. Should you fail to do this, I shall require proof you have reporting CompanyName to the ICO for breach of GDPR article 5D within 72 hours of my email sent time, or I shall be making my own Data Protection Act complaint and internal grievance against CompanyName. I shall also not be responsible for any work I am unable to complete during this misprocessing of my data".

I don't fuck around. Either get my data right, or I'll smack people with the GDPR and threaten ICO. I once started sending 12 hour count downs to the DWP who eventually backed down from their "it's impossible, we don't have the data, you have to resend" position to "we found your data".

I was just thinking along those lines...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor