Author Topic: Councils response to flytipping  (Read 1704 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Councils response to flytipping
« on: 30 August, 2011, 08:32:01 pm »
Over the Bank Holiday weekend so people(s) had dumped a sofa on a patch of land outside the flat. I informed the council this morning about the issue and they've only got and removed it already. Haven't the council got better things to be doing, like drinking tea, than quickly responding to my complaint? And if the do  council become efficient how are people going to fill in the hours lost because they can no longer complain about the council?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Councils response to flytipping
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2011, 11:14:33 pm »
Part of the reason for a quick response is that once used as a fly tip it can quickly get more and more stuff there. They hope that by removing one item quickly they won't have to remove 15.

« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2011, 01:02:26 am »
And if the do  council become efficient how are people going to fill in the hours lost because they can no longer complain about the council?

By posting on here?

« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2011, 02:43:34 am »

Working in government, you just can't win--if you're slow, everyone complains, and if you're fast, everyone says you need more work to do.  ;D

We sometime joke that if you make everybody equally unhappy, you're doing a fair and balanced job.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #4 on: 31 August, 2011, 02:51:34 am »
We sometime joke that if you make everybody equally unhappy, you're doing a fair and balanced job.

But would you increase our decrease our Council Tax for this?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2011, 06:51:56 am »
A drunk driver in a 4x4 demolished a large bollard and our primary school fence on Friday night (the police got him; he was too pissed to drive off),.

We are wondering if the council will have the fence fixed before the kids are back on Monday.  I'll keep you posted.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2011, 11:13:03 am »
I'm always quite impressed when people manage to demolish bollards.  There's one that kept on being hit so often that they've put a sort of pre-bollard in front of it, which is short and heavier looking and harder to knock over (so far).

On my old commuting route there was a place where they had road narrowing at the exit from the traffic lights.  The bollards got hit so often that they replaced them with about ten foot of a substantial girder, half buried into the ground.  I don't think that stopped people hitting it, since it gained lots of dents and damaged paintwork (it was striped black and yellow), but it did seem to reduce the number of times they had to replace them.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #7 on: 01 September, 2011, 11:33:35 am »

Working in government, you just can't win--if you're slow, everyone complains, and if you're fast, everyone says you need more work to do.  ;D

We managed to miss someone's recycling box on Tuesday. He rang and left a message with the office, and then rang and left another message with a different office. We were trying to ring him back to say "leave the box out, we'll come get it", but his phone was constantly engaged, presumably ringing the whole phone book about it. So I just went round on my bike, with some carrier bags, and knocked on the door and apologized and said I'd take the stuff there and then.

As I was bunging it in carriers, the chap said "But, I don't understand, how did you know you'd missed me?"

Something to do with the multiple phone messages you left!

I would say maybe he thought we'd all gone home, but the first message he left was with an actual person, not an answerphone!

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

essexian

« Reply #8 on: 01 September, 2011, 11:45:10 am »
I'm always quite impressed when people manage to demolish bollards. 

I know its OT but I always look at the tyre tracks on the wall here and wonder if anyone has ever actually gone over the edge and back onto the M1

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=stanmore&hl=en&ll=51.635733,-0.300837&spn=0.000027,0.038409&z=15&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=51.635616,-0.300573&panoid=TSAcfLnF8HS0-VRBjhBDSA&cbp=12,108.83,,0,25.44

As for Council supplied services, our bin men have started taking our neighbours bins back down their drives for them (about 60 foot each way). They are both in their 70's, so I mark this as good service (I used to do it for them but the bin men now get there first!)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 02 September, 2011, 12:10:58 pm »
I'm always quite impressed when people manage to demolish bollards. 

I know its OT but I always look at the tyre tracks on the wall here and wonder if anyone has ever actually gone over the edge and back onto the M1

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=stanmore&hl=en&ll=51.635733,-0.300837&spn=0.000027,0.038409&z=15&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=51.635616,-0.300573&panoid=TSAcfLnF8HS0-VRBjhBDSA&cbp=12,108.83,,0,25.44

There are tyre scuffs on both sides of that parapet, so it strikes me that bouncing against those walls is quite frequent. Some poor cyclist lost her life close to the bottom of that junction not long ago  :'(
People drive like cocks round here...