Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463788 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #550 on: 03 December, 2015, 06:24:10 pm »
The contacts are in for my first trial day. This feels a little weird. Hopefully I won't end up in A&E this time :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #551 on: 03 December, 2015, 06:30:46 pm »
The contacts are in for my first trial day. This feels a little weird. Hopefully I won't end up in A&E this time :-[

Think positive! 
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #552 on: 03 December, 2015, 06:34:32 pm »
I think I'll be ok this time.

I know what went wrong last time and how I panicked. The same shouldn't happen again.

Hope your ultrasound went ok :)

simonp

« Reply #553 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:31:58 pm »
A&E? Well better safe than sorry I guess.

I had a worrying bloodshot look one evening a couple of weeks ago, after a trainer session in the garage. I had my contacts in, it stayed after they were out but was gone the next morning. I suspect fatigue (long hours recently) was a factor and maybe raised blood circulation from the exercise. The motorbike trip home from work may have added to any stress levels as it was dark, and very busy on the M5.

I'm due a contact lens check up so I'll bring it up then I guess. I used the contacts again for riding the motorbike, to get to the rowing club, and did a very high intensity erg session, without any issues so I'm inclined to think it was tiredness.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #554 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:12:54 pm »
A&E? Well better safe than sorry I guess.

I had a worrying bloodshot look one evening a couple of weeks ago, after a trainer session in the garage. I had my contacts in, it stayed after they were out but was gone the next morning. I suspect fatigue (long hours recently) was a factor and maybe raised blood circulation from the exercise. The motorbike trip home from work may have added to any stress levels as it was dark, and very busy on the M5.

I'm due a contact lens check up so I'll bring it up then I guess. I used the contacts again for riding the motorbike, to get to the rowing club, and did a very high intensity erg session, without any issues so I'm inclined to think it was tiredness.

I scratched my eye trying to take them out a couple days in, then panicked because I thought the lens was still there. My eye swelled up and was very painful. I went to the Local NHS walk in centre about it after spending a night with frozen peas on my eye and I was sent up to A&E where they checked my eye with a slit lamp and treated the swelling (can't remember how). Hopefully I'll be better 8 years on.

« Reply #555 on: 04 December, 2015, 08:35:00 am »
Ah, sympathy.

I don't wear contacts because my eyes dry out. This can lead to contacts drying out. And sticking to your eyeball. You know this is really bad when the contact lens tears as you try to pull it off your eyeball.

Tip: if you are having trouble removing a contact lens, dribble some of the saline into your eye and slide the lens off the centre of your eyeball. It will be easier to 'pinch' the lens off then.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #556 on: 05 December, 2015, 01:40:26 am »
Also a good idea to keep your fingernails short!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #557 on: 05 December, 2015, 09:02:49 am »
Thanks. Yes fingernails are very short at present. I've also been taught to move the lens to the edge of my eye before pinching off so I'm unlikely to damage the lens.

Sequence: Touch lens with finger, look at nose, slide lens towards ear, remove with thumb and finger

« Reply #558 on: 05 December, 2015, 02:18:48 pm »
Then replace ear, presumably?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #559 on: 05 December, 2015, 02:28:29 pm »
Only if preferred

« Reply #560 on: 05 December, 2015, 02:32:28 pm »
A hard decision, given your current tribulations with the choir!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #561 on: 09 December, 2015, 12:10:55 pm »
Referred to hand clinic at St John's. No idea what the waiting times are.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #562 on: 12 December, 2015, 07:10:49 pm »
I wrote on this thread a year ago about me going to an xmas party where I fainted. I hadn't fainted before and didn't find any reason why. I saw my GP and had blood test done, etc. The GP said that if this happens again we will need to look into it more and maybe stop me driving and cycling. Anyway, I have had no problems all year until I went to exactly the same party last night. I had stuffed my face with the party food and was stood talking when I became light heading and went down. I didn't drop as suddenly as last year and when I came round I was on my hands and knees. I knew that after eating the junk party food my blood sugar was high and maybe put it down to that, just like last year. I was thinking about it again today and just before fainting I was telling a guy about what happened to me last year. Did I talk myself into fainting?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #563 on: 13 December, 2015, 12:41:54 am »
I don't think you talked yourself into fainting though I'll never know.

Concentrated sugar and salt  need dilution before they can be absorbed. I wonder if your 'binge' has 'sucked' water from your bloodstream, leaving it underfilled.

« Reply #564 on: 13 December, 2015, 05:19:53 pm »
I had drunk about 2/3 of my second pint at this time. Would that have helped to keep me hydrated.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #565 on: 13 December, 2015, 06:28:36 pm »
I have lurgy.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #566 on: 13 December, 2015, 06:46:50 pm »
I had drunk about 2/3 of my second pint at this time. Would that have helped to keep me hydrated.

Possibly not. Alcohol is a diuretic. That's why, colloquially, drinking it can be described as 'getting pissed'. Quite often, even with dilute alcohol, eg in beer, you can lose more water than you gain.

« Reply #567 on: 14 December, 2015, 10:40:18 am »
Here's the thing. There is a 'managed' condition and 'treated'.

So, medication review today. What I was hoping for was a discussion about whether a different medication might be better or some other assistance. I'm currently missing about 1 day off every 2-3 weeks.

What I got was a blood pressure check.

Yes, I also have chronic gastric reflux. Currently that's making me speak like Tom Waits. So you suggest I take some Gaviscon before going to bed. Hmm, well, I say, last time I took that it was like pouring bicarb on vinegar.

I'm in the 'difficult' pigeonhole, aren't I? Not life-threatening conditions, just job-threatening.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #568 on: 14 December, 2015, 11:22:55 am »

Possibly not. Alcohol is a diuretic. That's why, colloquially, drinking it can be described as 'getting pissed'. Quite often, even with dilute alcohol, eg in beer, you can lose more water than you gain.

And in tropical climates, get seriously dehydrated and be taken to hospital after a booze up at the lakehouse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #569 on: 14 December, 2015, 12:47:39 pm »
Here's the thing. There is a 'managed' condition and 'treated'.

So, medication review today. What I was hoping for was a discussion about whether a different medication might be better or some other assistance. I'm currently missing about 1 day off every 2-3 weeks.

What I got was a blood pressure check.

Fecking tick box, target-driven 'medicine'!
Check BP/blood sugar/cholesterol/weight of every fifty-something year old whatever the presenting problem.
Useful NOT!

BTDTGTTS
Sympathies!

<rant over>

« Reply #570 on: 14 December, 2015, 03:53:28 pm »
And why oh why do I never have my symptoms when I'm actually act the doc or hospital?
Nothing this morning but now I'm all over the place.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #571 on: 14 December, 2015, 04:02:48 pm »
Next time I take my buggered shoulder to the doc I'm planning to scream "if it was a sore tooth I'd take it to the dentist and he'd FUCKING WELL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!"
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #572 on: 14 December, 2015, 04:06:34 pm »
Next time I take my buggered shoulder to the doc I'm planning to scream "if it was a sore tooth I'd take it to the dentist and he'd FUCKING WELL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!"
Cue doctor to lift SDS drill, tube of No More Nails and say "No problem sir, we can fix that. Now, where did you go on your holidays?"  Whiiiirrrrrrr <scream>
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #573 on: 14 December, 2015, 04:09:24 pm »
Hmmm. I suppose dentists do have a rather more direct approach.  Fed up with doc piling platitude on conjecture and doing SFA, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #574 on: 14 December, 2015, 04:27:49 pm »
Hmmm. I suppose dentists do have a rather more direct approach.  Fed up with doc piling platitude on conjecture and doing SFA, though.

The approach I hate the most is the, "Yes well, at your age - normal wear and tear - to be expected"

Just get me back on my bike!!!!!!

I know my measly 5 - 6000 km pa is nothing here, but it does seem to impress the GP.

Actually, I'm probably more in need of a psychiatrist than a GP to get me riding more atm.   :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.