Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 472321 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1325 on: 05 October, 2016, 11:22:26 pm »
Yup, much improved  :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1326 on: 06 October, 2016, 10:00:00 am »
Glad of that, stuff like that is alarming. Hope you stay well.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1327 on: 06 October, 2016, 12:24:36 pm »
My question.
Three weeks post surgery. Most things going well, except if I don't take care about how I move, my ulna dislocates (I can tell this by feel, this is happening under the cast).
Also, I'm getting bruising at my elbow. There was a lot to begin with, that started to go, but this looks persistent. It's still blue/black and is tender. The surgery was up close to my wrist, so I'm kind of surprised I'm getting bruising down at my elbow  still.

MrsC thinks I should call the hospital and ask about it. What does the panel think?
I finally got in to see the doc on Tues this week (yes, a week and a half after I phoned them saying I had slight concerns).
they cut off cast, xrayed and the surgeon examined things. All ok, bruising to be expected. As by then I'd been 5 weeks in plaster, at my suggestion, they didn't put a cast back on, they just sent me home with a wrist brace and instructions not to lift *anything*. The bones haven't actually grown back together yet, it's just held together by the metalwork.

Hand and forearm muscles are extremely wasted and my wrist bones are so stiff, very little movement in my wrist; without the cast I can start to move things very gently. Physio is being booked.

Had a good wash (finally! at home) then spent an entertaining 5min with tweezers pulling hairs out of the healed up incision. They hadn't shaved my arm and had trapped quite a lot of hairs when they sewed me back up!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1328 on: 06 October, 2016, 01:21:32 pm »
Glad things are as OK as surgeon would expect at this point. Good luck with splint and keeping activity to permitted levels! :)

« Reply #1329 on: 07 October, 2016, 03:36:21 pm »
The splint I've been given is comfortable, but is a rubbery sponge substance and sweaty. After only 4 days (and I've washed my arm every day), it stinks like my son's socks (and they were declared illegal under the convention banning chemical warfare).

If I butcher an old sock or similar to wear underneath (so it can be washed) do you reckon it would lesson the tendency of the splint to stink?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1330 on: 07 October, 2016, 04:03:14 pm »
Just read this. Must have been one hellava scare!1 glad you're feeling improved now.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1331 on: 07 October, 2016, 04:54:53 pm »
The splint I've been given is comfortable, but is a rubbery sponge substance and sweaty. After only 4 days (and I've washed my arm every day), it stinks like my son's socks (and they were declared illegal under the convention banning chemical warfare).

If I butcher an old sock or similar to wear underneath (so it can be washed) do you reckon it would lesson the tendency of the splint to stink?

Slightly.
Hands & feet have similar skin, with similar sweating.

Hands don't usually smell cos you wash them about 10 times a day. When you treat them like feet, they pong like feet...

Chris S

« Reply #1332 on: 07 October, 2016, 05:51:37 pm »
Hands don't usually smell cos you wash them about 10 times a day. When you treat them like feet, they pong like feet...

Stick your nose inside a randonneur's glove that's been on all day, and take a good deep breath - you'll know this to be true  ;D :sick:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1333 on: 07 October, 2016, 09:17:38 pm »
I will decline your kind suggestion, if it's all the same to you, thank you.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1334 on: 11 October, 2016, 12:32:40 pm »
Measles outbreak in Edinburgh, ffs.  >:(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1335 on: 11 October, 2016, 01:07:33 pm »
Glastonbury, Edinbury. Folk in Dundee are probably safe.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1336 on: 11 October, 2016, 01:48:08 pm »
Measles outbreaks shouldn't be a thing  >:(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1337 on: 11 October, 2016, 02:04:41 pm »
It took me a long time to understand measles. I had it when I was about 8 and, well, it was just a week or two off school with a temperature and spots. Like chicken pox and lots of other things. Just part of growing up. Deadly for the malnourished and doctorless in darkest third world shanty towns, I could see that, but not a thing to worry about here. It was only when I met people who'd caught it as adults I realised it can be quite nasty.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1338 on: 11 October, 2016, 02:07:24 pm »
It's hard to spend much time around the Deaf community without developing an appreciation of measles...

simonp

« Reply #1339 on: 11 October, 2016, 03:06:30 pm »
Not feeling too great today.

Is it the dreaded lurgy?

:o

« Reply #1340 on: 12 October, 2016, 10:00:02 am »
I need to rebuild my strength after a dreadful stomach and chest virus which has knocked me flat for most of October so far. I'm struggling to eat anything and have no appetite, apart from the odd tummy grumbling late at night. I've lost over two inches round my waist and feel very, very weak. I can't eat dairy, wheat or refined sugar as they make me feel light-headed, bloated and give me the runs. I'm vegetarian (I sometimes eat the odd bit of fish but can't stomach it at the moment). I can just about manage white rice and the odd few vegetables but other than that am stuck. Any ideas?!

« Reply #1341 on: 12 October, 2016, 10:25:59 am »
Miso soup usually hits the spot for me when my body is wrecked after illness and rich foods don't appeal.

Then gradual introduction of other things.
I'm not a fan of white rice, preferring brown. A rice salad that has a lot of semi-raw ginger, a bit of garlic, soy and whatever your nose says smells good, with toasted seeds and chopped (chopped really small) greens in it, nearly 50% salad/rice by volume can work. I put the garlic/ginger in when the rice is 2/3rds cooked so that the flavour permeates the rice but it still has some of the raw crunch.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1342 on: 12 October, 2016, 10:31:36 am »
Thanks mrcharly. I normally don't eat any white rice, always brown, but I can't stomach much brown rice at the moment. I had a little last night and didn't react well to it. I've not tried Miso soup. That's an idea if we can track some down in Skipton. The one thing I can tolerate well is stewed apple, but I don't enjoy it!

« Reply #1343 on: 12 October, 2016, 11:48:23 am »
Sounds like your digestion has shut down. I'd maybe stick to really simple things then, miso soup with maybe  few rice noodles, try with some ginger also. Don't eat much at one go.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1344 on: 12 October, 2016, 12:49:40 pm »
How are you with potatoes?
GWS!

« Reply #1345 on: 12 October, 2016, 01:11:24 pm »
I can eat a small amount of potato but it then causes constipation. Followed by the runs. I can't seem to win.  :facepalm:

Chris S

« Reply #1346 on: 12 October, 2016, 01:17:38 pm »
Fermented food? Yogurt or, miso with Kimchi? Sounds like your internal biome is out of whack.

Maybe pester Woolly for a fecal transplant?  ;)

Hope you pick up soon.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1347 on: 13 October, 2016, 12:41:03 pm »
It took me a long time to understand measles. I had it when I was about 8 and, well, it was just a week or two off school with a temperature and spots. Like chicken pox and lots of other things. Just part of growing up. Deadly for the malnourished and doctorless in darkest third world shanty towns, I could see that, but not a thing to worry about here. It was only when I met people who'd caught it as adults I realised it can be quite nasty.
My grandad (born 1918) had infant measles. It left him partially deaf, partially sighted and with severe facial scarring, and he was considered to have got off lightly.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1348 on: 14 October, 2016, 01:14:54 pm »
Got the flu vaccination yesterday. It usually knocks me for a loop and this time is no exception.  As it happens, today there's lots going on that requires my attention and I feel more like sleeping until Sunday.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1349 on: 14 October, 2016, 01:53:29 pm »
I hear this a lot.  I had my first  jab three years ago.   No ill effects.   Didn't  bother last year.  Had one earlier this week.   Again no probs.   Am I the only one?

I'm also the only bloke I know who didn't  die from a vasectomy many years ago.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.