Author Topic: Readers' Instruments  (Read 166146 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Readers' Instruments
« Reply #375 on: 31 August, 2022, 01:33:36 pm »
I made some minor adjustments :) to my electric over the weekend. Lovely instrument but I never like the “plastic” finish. Starting with

I went via this:

To this:

« Reply #376 on: 31 August, 2022, 02:31:55 pm »
Paul, that is stunning! The butterscotch paint appears to be thick plastic; unbelievable! You seem to be the lucky owner of a fantastic grain pattern and the revised appearance looks so much better.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #377 on: 31 August, 2022, 03:09:59 pm »
+1. Makes you wonder what kind of criminal could do that to a lovely chunk of wood to start with.  Although I once read of someone who ordered a Shaker dresser in walnut, to be painted green.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

PaulF

« Reply #378 on: 31 August, 2022, 04:07:10 pm »
Thanks, the criminals in this case were Fender. Was apprehensive at first but the majority came off with a hot air gun. To get the whole body except the control cavities took less than an hour. I left the cavities as they’re hidden and I didn’t want to risk burning the wood.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #379 on: 01 September, 2022, 03:19:46 pm »
Is it swamp ash?  That's traditional for blonde Teles but they've used all sorts of woods.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

PaulF

« Reply #380 on: 01 September, 2022, 03:45:28 pm »
Is it swamp ash?  That's traditional for blonde Teles but they've used all sorts of woods.

It's a 2010 model definitely ash (Fender stopped using Ash in 2020) and from what I can find out most likely swamp.

PaulF

« Reply #381 on: 15 December, 2022, 09:49:31 am »
And my "Brompton" guitar

There's a guitar in here

And in a few seconds it looks like this

Even stays in tune!

Just need to work out how to pronounce the maker's name any Czech speakers here? Is it Furch like Church or more like Furk? Or something completely different?

« Reply #382 on: 15 December, 2022, 01:46:54 pm »
I'm not a Czech speaker but, from my familiarity with Polski, I'll take a punt with Foorh (with the 'r' being well rolled)
Road Runner will be along shortly.....

PaulF

« Reply #383 on: 15 December, 2022, 01:51:10 pm »
Thanks Jurek

« Reply #384 on: 17 December, 2022, 09:06:01 am »
The new (to me) kid on the block:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #385 on: 17 December, 2022, 09:35:31 am »
And my "Brompton" guitar

There's a guitar in here

Just need to work out how to pronounce the maker's name any Czech speakers here? Is it Furch like Church or more like Furk? Or something completely different?

I'd have gone for Furcht (German) without the T.

Case appears to have a compartment for underpants.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #386 on: 17 December, 2022, 09:36:02 am »
The new (to me) kid on the block:

Have fun!

PaulF

« Reply #387 on: 17 December, 2022, 09:56:01 am »

I'd have gone for Furcht (German) without the T.

Case appears to have a compartment for underpants.

Some people actually pack clothes in the guitar body. With the neck off you can put stuff in via the sound hole or the the slot for the neck

PaulF

« Reply #388 on: 24 February, 2023, 02:15:51 pm »
Got another project on the go:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #389 on: 16 July, 2023, 12:16:48 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0f17N0bXx0&ab_channel=GregThomas

I'd never heard of a harpejji before, but they seem quite interesting. Also quite a lot of money! Apparently invented in the early part of this century, only 500 or so have been made.

(I thought there was a "Weird Musical Instruments" thread, but couldn't find it.)

Edit: way off topic because I haven't got one and I'm not planning to buy one.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #390 on: 16 July, 2023, 05:49:20 pm »
While I'm away on holiday, I've entrusted my double bass to the skilled hands of our local luthier for a much-needed 'service'. Chris, the experienced luthier, expressed genuine enthusiasm when he learned about the opportunity to inspect my instrument. As double basses are relatively rare in his shop, which predominantly caters to smaller stringed instruments, he welcomed the chance to provide it with thorough care and attention.

« Reply #391 on: 01 August, 2023, 07:25:12 pm »
And talking of double basses...

Recently discovered that my double bass had woodworm... again. I've had Samson the bass - it was big and strong and I had long hair - since I was a student and I'll be 60 next year. An old friend that's moved countries with me more than once. I'll be very sad if the damage has significantly weakened the structure and our long relationship is doomed, even if it's more an interesting piece of furniture in the corner of the room than actually getting played in earnest these days.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #392 on: 16 December, 2023, 04:50:28 pm »
I've finally got round to buying myself an electric violin. As fiddlers will know, electric string instruments vary a lot in quality and features and it's not been possible for me to get anywhere to try out the ones on my short-list.

Anyway, this popped up on eBay last week so I couldn't resist...

PXL_20231212_113531760 by pencyclist, on Flickr

It's a Yamaha SV130. Not the current model (which I think is the SV200) but close enough, and it came at a price that screamed it would be rude not to.

The strings are crap, and so is the bow but you'd expect to have to replace both of those anyway (the one on the left hanging on the stand is the CF bow that accompanies my traditional acoustic violin so I'll probably just get another). It did come with a case however, which is nice.
Pen Pusher

PaulF

« Reply #393 on: 16 December, 2023, 06:18:56 pm »
I've finally got round to buying myself an electric violin. As fiddlers will know, electric string instruments vary a lot in quality and features and it's not been possible for me to get anywhere to try out the ones on my short-list.

Anyway, this popped up on eBay last week so I couldn't resist...

PXL_20231212_113531760 by pencyclist, on Flickr

It's a Yamaha SV130. Not the current model (which I think is the SV200) but close enough, and it came at a price that screamed it would be rude not to.

The strings are crap, and so is the bow but you'd expect to have to replace both of those anyway (the one on the left hanging on the stand is the CF bow that accompanies my traditional acoustic violin so I'll probably just get another). It did come with a case however, which is nice.

That’s nice. I know the Yamaha silent guitar equivalents are well regarded so I’m sure the violin will be as good. Are you also planning to enter the murky world of effects pedals?

PaulF

« Reply #394 on: 16 December, 2023, 06:20:54 pm »
In other news this:

Popped up on eBay at a price it would have been rude to ignore.

« Reply #395 on: 16 December, 2023, 06:43:23 pm »
Nice stuff from ebay for both of you. Well done.

PaulF, have you finished your Rickenbacker shaped project that you gave us a glimpse of a few posts up? I would love to see how that turned out.

PaulF

« Reply #396 on: 16 December, 2023, 07:00:19 pm »
Nice stuff from ebay for both of you. Well done.

PaulF, have you finished your Rickenbacker shaped project that you gave us a glimpse of a few posts up? I would love to see how that turned out.

I finished it and it turned out like this:

But I messed up the neck and ended up with action of about 5mm at the 12th fret with the bridge right down. So I routed out the stud holes to get the action down to a playable level only to discover that the neck was too narrow for me.

Think they call that Rickenbacker’s curse!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #397 on: 17 December, 2023, 12:12:19 am »
That’s nice. I know the Yamaha silent guitar equivalents are well regarded so I’m sure the violin will be as good. Are you also planning to enter the murky world of effects pedals?

A friend has a Line 6 Helix so I'm going to try that out. I'm not considering buying such a fancy thing myself but it will give me the chance to have a play and see what I like.
Pen Pusher

PaulF

« Reply #398 on: 17 December, 2023, 06:52:37 am »

A friend has a Line 6 Helix so I'm going to try that out. I'm not considering buying such a fancy thing myself but it will give me the chance to have a play and see what I like.

Something like this a Zoom MS70 will give a good selection for under £100

« Reply #399 on: 18 December, 2023, 09:46:56 am »
Or for something even smaller try a NUX Mighty Plug Pro.

Amp modelling and effect modelling all in a little device that plugs into your instrument then you plug headphones into it (or use it as a line out into something else).
Also has inbuilt drum patterns. £90.
You control it through an app on your phone and can stream backing tracks from your phone to it. It doesnt use your phone for processing the instrument signal though thats all done in the device itself (you can turn the phone off if you like).

I got one yesterday and will be playing with it over Christmas.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.