Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 187470 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« on: 11 November, 2011, 03:40:08 pm »
As mentioned on the RNRRTRP thread, time to split off, so thursday night rides in here, other rides in the other thread.

Should, hopefully, mean that York-ites see the threaad when we plan to do York rides :)

We are approaching the end of the season, as riding in the dark with ice will not be fun (and one person at least does not want another broken bone this year), so I think running to the end of the month for rides, then fettling sessions after that, with pub and chips of course!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2011, 09:09:04 pm »
So lets get this started, this week shall deviate from the norm of the last 4 weeks, as we shan't be visiting the Fish Finger butty pub.

I am think a devious route to get to the nice Fox and Hounds is in order, especially a the return to NTR from there is officially FUN... :)

So who's in?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2011, 09:51:00 pm »
How devious are we talking?  Because the physio was right... last week was right at the top end of what I can do and I paid for it the following day!

LindaG

« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2011, 12:09:07 pm »
Working on Thursday  :(

« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2011, 01:27:59 pm »
Sorry - Thursday night is the first night of the Durham Lumiere Festival http://www.lumieredurham.co.uk/, an event not to be missed (last time we went 3 nights running - it was fairly amazing - at last for Durham).

If you fancied a diversion further north - I would highly recommend it. Don't bring bikes though as the city will be heaving and they are planning to close all the roads again. Getting food may also prove interesting if it's anything like last time. Then there were 75,000 people there - twice the population of the city (and it was bucketing down). They had to introduce a one way system for pedestrians throughout parts of the city and city centre roads were closed to all other traffic - it was so packed

tiermat

« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2011, 08:53:56 am »
How devious are we talking?  Because the physio was right... last week was right at the top end of what I can do and I paid for it the following day!

good point, shall re-arrange, different pub then, but still in the NTR environs, maybe the Green Tree?

ETA: How does this look? ~14 miles and only ~180ft of ascent....

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=328659

CrinklyLion

« Reply #6 on: 17 November, 2011, 07:08:22 am »
T - is it just me and thee?  I'm in two minds.  Need to pack prior to going away tomorrow, have friends staying tonight, have a very creaky knee, and my arm/shoulder/elbow still hurts.

But on the other hand, beer and chips....

tiermat

« Reply #7 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:55:42 am »
At the moment, CL, yes, unless someone hasn't stuck their head over the parapet yet.

I know LG can't make it as she is working, SC is going to watch some light bulbs or something :) and I forgot to ask CU whether he and CA would be heading up here today.

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #8 on: 17 November, 2011, 11:14:14 am »
We are a no for this one, I'm getting ready for my interview tomorrow.

tiermat

« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2011, 11:14:58 am »

OK, good luck with that.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2011, 11:28:15 am »

OK, good luck with that.

+1

T - would it be really bad of me to bail if I'm the only other attendee?  I just resorted to codeine for the first time in a while :(

tiermat

« Reply #11 on: 17 November, 2011, 11:31:02 am »
I was just leaving it open to get a reply from anyone else able to attend, but as that has been covered, bail by all means.

As it happens I might have some work to do tonight instead :( , so back to normal operation next week (for the last of the year)?

tiermat

« Reply #12 on: 21 November, 2011, 01:04:31 pm »
So who is up for this week (for the last one of the year)?

Short, flat, non-COR route (scout's honor)!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #13 on: 21 November, 2011, 05:03:00 pm »
Probably :)

tiermat

« Reply #14 on: 22 November, 2011, 12:55:12 pm »
Probably :)

I hope so, YHPM.

Valencia should be able to find her own way around the route, having been around it sooooo many times before :)

tiermat

« Reply #15 on: 29 December, 2011, 09:16:02 pm »
Having discussed this last week with CL, and her liking of riding in NTR, but not every week, we have devised a cunning plan....

Week 1, Weds York, Thursday NTR
Week 2, Weds NTR, Thu York
Week 3, back to week 1

etc etc. throw in an odd ride (even further) oop north and it is set for a year of decent riding....

tiermat

« Reply #16 on: 17 January, 2012, 12:35:31 pm »
As it goes now, the first of this year's rides I am planning for Thursday 2nd Feb.

I was going to start it next week, but it seems pointless with the Kildale weekender being the same week, and this way we can hopefully keep the momentum going.

Who's in? Provisionally or otherwise.

Route to follow.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #17 on: 17 January, 2012, 12:48:50 pm »
Oh... quite possibly :)

tiermat

« Reply #18 on: 30 January, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »
OK, so it is on, whether anyone else turns up or not :)

Usual place and time (PM if you are not sure what these are), aiming for a short bimble to pub then aimless/surreal chat then home again.

Any takers?

LindaG

« Reply #19 on: 30 January, 2012, 03:31:21 pm »
Okay, I'm in.  I'll come to THoFC by car if that's OK?

tiermat

« Reply #20 on: 30 January, 2012, 03:31:59 pm »
Okay, I'm in.  I'll come to THoFC by car if that's OK?

Of course it is my dear.

LindaG

« Reply #21 on: 30 January, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »
Maaarvellous  :)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #22 on: 30 January, 2012, 03:56:20 pm »
Oh, I could probably be tempted :)

tiermat

« Reply #23 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:51:31 pm »
A most fantastic start to the year of random rides.

Myself, LG and CL headed to the Buck @ Maunby, not a long distance by anyone's book, but just about right by the books of those involved.

Beer and chips were consumed.

Live music was heard (it was open mic night at the pub)

The return leg saw a clear sky, moon and stars in abundance and frost on out bikes!

Tonight reminded me why we do the random night rides to random pubs, thanks guys.

LindaG

« Reply #24 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »
That really was fab.  Back to riding at night, in the silence and serenity, in puddles of bike light, in most excellent company.  Followed by top quality chips and variable quality live music.  And then more riding of bikes, as the frost formed on Tiermat's head and our fingers went numb.

Thanks CL and Tiermat  :thumbsup: