Author Topic: The Cambridge Pork Pie 200 + Spring Dash 100 — Sat 21 March 2020 — CANCELLED  (Read 2409 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Due to unmanageable uncertainty around the current coronavirus and COVID-19 crisis, Ewa and I have, with huge regret, decided to postpone this event until later in the year CANCEL this event outright.

All entrants should have received another more detailed response via email.

Winter's nearly over and the rush of early spring rides is all-but about to start, and so we bring to you once again —

The Cambridge Pork Pie 200 — a popular ride out to Melton Mowbray to marvel at the hand-pulled treats that are a speciality of the town.  The route is a lovely combination of fast and flat, then hilly, then hillier, then very, very flat — it's not exactly fixed-friendly, but it's great fun!  Still just the single control at Melton so you can optimise your own stoppage — you will pass through several good towns in each direction, if you need to stop, or you can coast right through without putting a foot down.  We've had a couple of stiff years, so we're due fine weather this year, and hopefully it being nearly a week later will help with that. 

And for those with a penchant for self-sufferance can follow the optionally longer and hillier EXTRA route, as per previous years  :thumbsup:

The Cambridge Spring Dash 100 — a popular ride around Cambridgeshire and the rolling chalkline of north Essex, well suited to those looking for an event to extend to 200km for round-the-year points, or for riders who've suffered a little with winter fitness.  A ride of two pubs, with Saffron Walden sandwiched between (and Bicicletta has had a refit, it can seat nearly twice as many as it used to), so never further than about 30km from a stop.

There will be light refreshments at the start and something hot and something sweet for you at the finish, too  :)  :thumbsup:

Enter The Cambridge Pork Pie 200 here;  or The Cambridge Spring Dash 100 here.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Re: The Cambridge Pork Pie 200 + Spring Dash 100 — Saturday 21 March 2020
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2020, 07:53:26 pm »
Fantastic .. hopefully the weather will be better than last year, no Capitals of East Anglia this year though?

rob

« Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2020, 11:02:49 am »
Off to my native Lincolnshire that weekend.   Sorry to miss if this year.

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2020, 11:05:37 am »
Will be doing Start of Summertime final route check. So will have to miss this year.

I do hope riders don’t get the cross winds of last year. When I finished it felt like I’d been wrestling a crocodile.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
I checked the Spring Dash route today.  In that wind.  With skinny winter legs  ::-)

As always, it's a lovely route with lots of variety and a great first audax, or ideal to ECE to 200  :thumbsup:

Just waiting to hear on the second pub — if not then we'll run a mini-control in Meesden again.

I'm in for the 200 I think!

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
I checked the route yesterday — it was a little breezy, and the wind turned during the day so I was basically into a cross-headwind most of the day.  Knackered now.

The route is as lovely and varied as always — flat then hilly then hillier then flat.  Terrific fun, if a bit of a struggle on fixed-gear.

There's still space; entries close soon.

100km duly entered

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Due to unmanageable uncertainty around the current coronavirus and COVID-19 crisis, Ewa and I have, with huge regret, decided to postpone this event until later in the year.

All entrants should have received a more detailed response via email.

Chris S

Good call Wilky (IMHO). Must have been a tough one.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
That's made my decision for me. Will entries re-open for the postponed date? I've done this one couple of times and its always a great event, even though we were nearly getting blown off the bikes last time.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Ewa's cakes will have to wait until another day, hope to see everyone healthy at the end of all this.

Love from the Big Saxon

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
No umming and aahing left, Ewa and I have decided to cancel these events outright for this year.  Another email has been sent out to all entrants.