Author Topic: Carradice / Bagman bodge.....  (Read 11914 times)

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
Carradice / Bagman bodge.....
« on: 05 January, 2011, 08:47:22 pm »
Not sure this is of any interest to anyone, but I had a camera and, well, just in case....

Initial reason for bodge:  Not enough exposed rail on saddle (Swift) to clamp bagman to - even though it is fitted in the most rearward position.

Seatpost is a Thompson Elite which, even with a smaller clamp than the previous one that was fitted, I still couldn't get enough purchase on the rails.

Grabbed a selection of high tensile bolts to replace the seatpost bolt.  Only an M5 (4mm allen head used).  Decided on the 55mm length but unfortunately this is a hex head and not cap top....not a problem though....

I used a small strip of rubber as a dampener between metal parts.  I removed one half of the bagman block and flipped the block so that the countersunk bolt hole was at the top.  Bit of threadlock and a nyloc nut with washer, torqued up to FTnm ;)

Couple of zipties to prevent any sideways movement - plus of course, no fettle is complete without zipties...

Holds the bag in a nice position IMO

Now, should I mention the Carradice stamp being out of alignment to Sue?  Considering it's brand new....or does it just add character?

Re: Carradice / Bagman bodge.....
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2011, 10:34:59 pm »
My Barley's Badge is out of square and I think it''s a Christine.  I thought about taking it back but ...

« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2011, 10:37:38 pm »
Oh c'mon its what makes it yours ......these are not tins of chinese beans.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2011, 11:24:00 pm »
Oh c'mon its what makes it yours ......these are not tins of chinese beans.
Exactly.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2011, 12:26:57 am »
my super c barley's saddle strap holes are cut out about half an inch off centre, which makes the bag sit an inch to the right. first i was annoyed, but just couldn't be asked to return it.. good bag, but used it only twice since new as it's too big for my needs.

« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2011, 08:56:45 pm »
I just use a Tortec Ultralite rack to keep my saddlebag in place rather than messing around with Carradice's support systems. 

While it might appear to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut, it actually weighs less than a standard bagman while giving more carrying options + a good place to put a light.  It also costs half as much.

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2011, 01:28:17 pm »
I started with a Tortec Ultralite for the reason you state, but didn't like how high above the rear wheel it sat.  Being short in the leg I do not have much seatpost showing and thought the rack was too high for a top pack to be used, as I'd plan to buy at the time.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #7 on: 27 March, 2011, 04:30:20 pm »
Does the seatpin use 2 bolts to secure the saddle (one front, one rear)? Is that the reason for there being too little useable saddle rail to connect the bagman?

It looks like a decent fettle, but (for me) it negates the point of the bagman - the quick release. I suppose it still keeps the bag in a decent position, but I think there are other gadgets to do that which wouldn't (possibly) compromise the saddle/seatpin junction.

If the problem is the 2 bolt seatpin, my inclination would be to change the pin, and keep the benefit of the quick release.

Now, should I mention the Carradice stamp being out of alignment to Sue?  Considering it's brand new....or does it just add character?

I think it adds character, but if it bothers you, tighten up one of the zip ties and relax the other.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2011, 12:00:11 pm »
Hi Paul. The Bagman is not the QR type and stays put.  That's the third seatpin I have had and still no more rail available...I don't think all had the double bolt setup either. I was trying to avoid shelling out for another post to try.

« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2011, 08:31:24 pm »
Is that a swift or a 15?

fuzzy

« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2011, 03:21:52 pm »
Re the images, the saddle bag loops on the seat rails seem to be after market additions. is this the case? if so, where can I get some. I have a loop less Team Pro and want to get a Carradice saddle bag of some description.

Thanks,

Fuzzy.

« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2011, 07:35:24 pm »
Re the images, the saddle bag loops on the seat rails seem to be after market additions. is this the case? if so, where can I get some. I have a loop less Team Pro and want to get a Carradice saddle bag of some description.

Thanks,

Fuzzy.

Cyclo loops are what you need.

I see the Carradice website seems to be down at the moment but I think they had them on there. Otherwise, SJS list them but they are out of stock:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carradice-cyclo-bag-loops-chrome-per-pair-prod16431/

I am sure you'll get them on Ebay.

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2011, 08:08:10 pm »

Cyclo loops are what you need.

I am sure you'll get them on Ebay.

That's where they came from.  Think I paid about £10 but SJC didn't have any in stock for weeks of waiting

fuzzy

« Reply #13 on: 14 June, 2011, 11:48:40 am »
Thanks folks.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #14 on: 14 June, 2011, 09:16:46 pm »
Fuzzy,

I scored a bunch of these from ebay ages ago for next to nowt, still in their little plastic bags on the shop display card.  If you want some, PM me your details and I'll bung a pair in the post.

« Reply #15 on: 14 June, 2011, 09:34:09 pm »
'Tis an excellent bodge btw.

fuzzy

« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2011, 01:27:47 pm »
Fuzzy,

I scored a bunch of these from ebay ages ago for next to nowt, still in their little plastic bags on the shop display card.  If you want some, PM me your details and I'll bung a pair in the post.

bill

YHPM.

Diamond Geezer :D