Author Topic: Tinned potatoes  (Read 14613 times)

Re: Tinned potatoes
« Reply #25 on: 22 July, 2019, 02:55:17 pm »
I had tinned potatoes, beans and fried "bacon grill" a while ago for nostalgias sake. It was lovely.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #26 on: 22 July, 2019, 03:16:48 pm »
I've never had one of those tinned "Full English Breakfast".  I feel that I just must now. In the same spirit that I once bought and consumed a pot noodle.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #27 on: 22 July, 2019, 03:18:55 pm »
I had tinned potatoes, beans and fried "bacon grill" a while ago for nostalgias sake. It was lovely.

That sounds like tea for one night this week sorted... :) thanks for the trip down memory lane... (also add corned beef to that instead of bacon grill sometimes)  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #28 on: 22 July, 2019, 04:11:55 pm »
Irish roots, you cant have too many types of potatoes with your dinner.
Oh yeah.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #29 on: 22 July, 2019, 04:26:06 pm »
I've never had one of those tinned "Full English Breakfast".  I feel that I just must now. In the same spirit that I once bought and consumed a pot noodle.

Just don't.

I've eaten them in the distant past when I was a student (or possibly extra weight in my rucksack because it counted as 'cooking' on a DofE expedition). Not recommended.

'Don't let boil' it says on the can but unless you nuke it to the point of full liquid evaporation the sausages remain obstinately cold or lukewarm at best and they are the horrid slimey skinless ones which have no relevence to the word sausage whatsover. The can also includes scotch eggs - presumably because if you don't cover it in sausage meat (more meat than the sausages thobut) and breadcrumbs it disintegrates (or explodes) during the canned cooking process, cold (see above) slippery scotch eggs are just hideous.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #30 on: 22 July, 2019, 07:30:26 pm »
No Basil.
Just no, no and no.
Have some self-respect.

« Reply #31 on: 22 July, 2019, 07:44:05 pm »
There is always ketchup?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 22 July, 2019, 07:53:58 pm »
There is always ketchup?

Or Vicodin...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UFtpibohxg0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UFtpibohxg0&rel=1</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFtpibohxg0&t=32

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #33 on: 22 July, 2019, 08:14:53 pm »
No Basil.
Just no, no and no.
Have some self-respect.

Yeah, but what if I'm one day lying on my death bed (or disappearing under a haymaker) and I have to wonder how bad they could have been?
Bit like the pot noodle. At least I know how bad that was.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #34 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:01:32 pm »
I've occasionally cooked tinned potatoes, just for a change.  Fry them in a hot pan until they're starting to go brown, sprinkle a bit of seasoning onto them, either mixed herbs or Fajita, perhaps add some grated cheese to melt on the top, and then serve.

Delicious.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #35 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:16:13 pm »
Tinned butter, anyone?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #36 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:20:13 pm »
Tinned butter, anyone?
I think that probably warrants a custodial sentence.

« Reply #37 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:37:04 pm »
Canned butter seems popular with the hardcore survivalist types, but you don't seem able to get it in the UK. https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=179311

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 22 July, 2019, 10:50:37 pm »
Tinned butter, anyone?
I think that probably warrants a custodial sentence.

Hmmm, custodial butter sentence versus the strait jacket of tinned potatoes?

We need some way of deciding this...
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 22 July, 2019, 11:42:00 pm »
What happens to butter when you tin it?  I mean, it's not like it's going to get any more squidgy, is it?  And presumably it still wins over hydrogenated bearing grease margarine.  Never encountered the stuff...

Paul

« Reply #40 on: 23 July, 2019, 07:39:55 am »
No Basil.
Just no, no and no.
Have some self-respect.

Yeah, but what if I'm one day lying on my death bed (or disappearing under a haymaker) and I have to wonder how bad they could have been?
Definitely do it.  Best eaten in a tent with kids, when it becomes a gourmet breakfast.

They aren’t all the same. I found the Morrison’s version okay.

Paul

« Reply #41 on: 23 July, 2019, 08:22:35 am »
No Basil.
Just no, no and no.
Have some self-respect.
i

Definitely do it.  Best eaten in a tent with kids, when it becomes a gourmet breakfast.

They aren’t all the same. I found the Morrison’s version okay.
I mean you and the kids should have breakfast together. Not that the kids should be eaten with the breakfast.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #42 on: 23 July, 2019, 08:33:52 am »
What happens to butter when you tin it?  I mean, it's not like it's going to get any more squidgy, is it?  And presumably it still wins over hydrogenated bearing grease margarine.  Never encountered the stuff...
Presumably it becomes perfect for survivalists because the oxygen and the flies are kept out, the tin can be made into a knife blade and everyone's last meal should be buttered toast soldiers. Which means you also need a tin of sliced white. Or... something.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #44 on: 23 July, 2019, 09:10:20 am »
I knew I was right to be suspicious of anglers.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #45 on: 23 July, 2019, 09:19:50 am »
What. I love tinned potatoes! I'd rather not think of the process they go through as probably chemically pealed

Me too!  Although they don’t really taste like potatoes. In fact I love most tinned food, here in France they have a great selection of weird and wonderful stuff in tins and jars which I am sampling as the opportunity presents much to the horror of The Current Mrs R  :smug: :sick:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #46 on: 23 July, 2019, 09:33:11 am »
Tinned anything was very much a case in teh ration packs I used to play around with in my air cadet days
- Tinned sausages, about half a dozen in a tin full of lard  :sick: when warm, worse when cold
- cheese and butter, meh
- unrecognisable stews, generally ok with copious application of S&P and herbs
- oatmeal blocks and mixed fruit pudding - I'd sell my own soul for those, or even my first born

As for tinned potatoes, I'm going camping next week, and whilst I've added fig rolls to my list, I'm not expecting zombies, and  tinned spuds are useless against midges, so they'll be staying where the should be - nowhere near me.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #47 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:09:54 am »
Canned butter seems popular with the hardcore survivalist types, but you don't seem able to get it in the UK. https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=179311

I'm sure the Army has it, and any survivalist worth his tinned salt will be up for a supply run on their nearest military hangout.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #48 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:13:05 am »
Surely this is the king of canned food:

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #49 on: 23 July, 2019, 10:22:15 am »
In my touring-in-France days tinned cassoulet and saucisses aux lentilles were the two staples.  Along with vin rouge of the tooth-enamel-stripping variety.

ETA: that one ^^^^ looks rather too posh (as well as too small)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime