Author Topic: What is your pet doing right now?*  (Read 210340 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: What is your pet doing right now?*
« Reply #1250 on: 22 June, 2019, 01:20:59 pm »
Our kitchen is the scene of a silent stalemate standoff between the cats.

Luna is outside awaiting food but I cannot feed him and he hasn't yet mastered the cat flap.

Big Tom is on my bar chair, occasionally staring at Luna though the glass door but CBA to move.

Blackie is probably in the lounge; she's had little of the food I've put out. Big Tom seems to inhibit her appetite.

David is upstairs.

Dynamics will change when he descends.

« Reply #1251 on: 22 June, 2019, 01:28:25 pm »
The neighbours' cat who comes to visit has been missing for a couple of days. His humans are obviously worried, more so because they're going away today.
This lunchtime, we came back from a shopping trip to discover said cat, locked into our other car, which hasn't been used since Thursday. I'd left the tailgate open after coming home from work to allow a smell to dissipate, and he must have got in then.
He's had some water, a small amout of chicken (we have a policy not to feed him, but this seemed an exception) and is now having a wash sitting on the sofa next to MrsC. He seems perfectly fine despite his incarceration.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1252 on: 22 June, 2019, 02:39:09 pm »
Incarcerated cats seem to do fine IME. Our Blackie has been inadvertently shut inside our downstairs loo or David's observatory without harm.

« Reply #1253 on: 22 June, 2019, 02:58:19 pm »
Probably just as well we found him when we did, though. The car will now be in full sun under a carport. It gets pretty hot in there and he's not a young cat.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1254 on: 22 June, 2019, 03:49:11 pm »
Indeed. Can't imagine your neighbours will complain you have fed, watered and cleaned.

Our lot have dispersed. David is planting tomatoes in the garden and Big Tom is sitting by David; as tomatoes are toxic to cats, it must be David that Big Tom likes!
Luna fed when David gave him the other cats' leftovers, licking the dish clean, as always.
Not sure about Blackie...

essexian

« Reply #1255 on: 22 June, 2019, 05:20:23 pm »
We are wondering whether we need to be concerned about Posie....

To explain, to reduce the pain from my bad foot I have been sticking it in a bowl of iced water. The coming back from the loo I noted our senior queen drinking out of the bowl....

Knowing my trotters I do wonder whether that's either brave or stupid.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1256 on: 22 June, 2019, 10:46:26 pm »
Given that cats drink from dirty puddles (often in preference to Nice Clean Bowls) I would not be bothered.
Not One Bit.

Chez nous, Big Tom has just left via the Extra-Large cat flap, which seems to be getting rather tight. He is yowling, so Luna is probably nearby.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1257 on: 23 June, 2019, 04:35:12 pm »
Desperately trying to find a way to get up to the bird box that's hosting a wasp nest
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #1258 on: 25 June, 2019, 12:18:38 pm »
Ah well, all the way up the Supreme Court of Ravens. No go on the treaty for cats, lifelong enmity between corvids and, I quote, 'intensely stupid furballs.' While I can't quibble with their definition, it's a pain in the backside. Or rather ears. The cats insist on sitting outside, the magpies keep flapping around to tease them and then retreating to a safe distance to squawk the 'stupid little furball' song, which by my count has 82 verses now.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1259 on: 25 June, 2019, 01:19:03 pm »
Uninstalling the stairs carpet. Unhelpful.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1260 on: 25 June, 2019, 01:47:54 pm »
Our carpets have been pretty hardy to feline attack, which is a mercy. The kitchen is the only uncarpeted room.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1261 on: 25 June, 2019, 02:04:43 pm »
My parents kept an off-cut of their living room carpet in front of the fireplace, because coal dust.  It turned out to work as a sacrificial anode for cat attack, and I recommend this approach to any cat owner having new carpets fitted.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1262 on: 25 June, 2019, 03:54:05 pm »
Boy cat likes to sleep on the bed wrapped around my arm.  He meows till he gets his way. He is asleep with the occasional snore

Arm is moved, as I have to go elsewhere

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1263 on: 25 June, 2019, 03:56:31 pm »
We have a strip of carpet, which Pets At Home named and sold as a Cat Scratching Thing.

It hangs in the kitchen by the towels.

Blackie may have scratched it a little while she was a kitten.

The cats have ignored it for the past year.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1264 on: 25 June, 2019, 06:12:10 pm »
We have a strip of carpet, which Pets At Home named and sold as a Cat Scratching Thing.

[...]

The cats have ignored it for the past year.

Entirely normal for Things Purchased For Cats To Use :)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1265 on: 25 June, 2019, 06:57:36 pm »
The two like, the scratching cardboard things, the scratch posts, the sofa, one kitchen chair, oh and curtains.

ian

« Reply #1266 on: 26 June, 2019, 10:07:45 am »
Bad Cat has to have the arm. She likes to rest her chin on a hand. That's the bestest of the best.

LMC bought in two mice last night. The first one was a big un. The second, smaller. Because she doesn't have teeth, they're pretty lively. Big un tried to leap a strategically placed bag and I grabbed it mid-air which even my wife was forced to confess was 'awesome.' I wish someone had filmed that. I can't normally catch a ball. Really I can't, one of my eyes wanders off and I have the distance perception of a turbot. I got the little one by the tail. I'm really quite good at mouse-catching.

The astounding thing is that I took the mice outside and deposited them in a dim and distant part of the garden. Neither cat saw me do this. On both occasions, LMC ran straight out to the exact (and different) spots I'd released the mice. At least the mice were bright enough to scarper before another bout of gumming and capture.

essexian

« Reply #1267 on: 26 June, 2019, 02:00:24 pm »
YUK Purrdee the kitten, YUK!

So far today our kitten has had two breakfasts and a light lunch. All good, she is growing well (indeed she is taller than her Mum). However, not really sure if she should have eaten what Posie threw up a few minutes earlier.

YUK! :sick:

« Reply #1268 on: 26 June, 2019, 02:23:28 pm »
Compared withe puking. peeing, pooping, murderdeathkilling, furniture and furnishings shredding reality, the cute kittehs and LOLcatz ov teh interwebs are definitely a breach of advertising standards. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1269 on: 26 June, 2019, 06:23:05 pm »
We have not seen Luna mastering the cat flap, but dishes of cat food left overnight seem to have been licked totally clean, something our spoilt pair don't do.
The place pongs of cat pee.

Cat protection said they'd phone to arrange for TNR of Luna.

They have not phoned when our phones are connected.

I've not seen Luna at all today.

Big Tom joined us in bed this morning.

David is happy about this.

I am NOT!

« Reply #1270 on: 26 June, 2019, 09:57:12 pm »
Tilly is squeaking the squeaky rabbit happily after just consuming half a beefburger with melted cheese on top I had saved her from the BBQ we had the other day. Beef and cheese! Its the best dog treat ever from her reaction.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1272 on: 27 June, 2019, 12:30:37 pm »
Having to be carried back indoors because there is a stag beetle between her and the door. Silly puppy!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1273 on: 27 June, 2019, 01:45:17 pm »
Raz, the bigger Lab, is lying with his face about a foot from a fan going full blast, while his bro Ezra is lying some distance back looking disdainfully at his wimpiness.  It's only 28°, FFS.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1274 on: 29 June, 2019, 01:42:09 pm »
Sleeping in a delivery box...

Untitled by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)