Author Topic: Cramp and roll  (Read 981 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Cramp and roll
« on: 20 March, 2013, 11:14:47 pm »
I've never really suffered from cramps but whilst stretching after a spin class I had a cramp in my left hip flexor which now features a visible bump tender to the touch.

The instructor showed me how to use the hard foam roller to work the area. I've not used it before and my it hurts. Still got the bump; I think it's gonna take a while. It's only day one though.

Re: Cramp and roll
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2013, 11:27:16 pm »
I was going to reply tonight on the roller thread I started a few days ago. I've just been on it for a few minutes and I love it. Mines a really hard blue foam roller with knobbly bits!

When I first started it hurt, especially on the calf muscles when it found a lumpy bit. After a couple of weeks I can apply more pressure without pain and the feeling is quite pleasurable. It's like pain but it doesn't hurt, that sounds strange but others using a roller may know what I mean. I'm not giving mine up, it works for me!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:37:13 am »
Hi Bumper, I would have replied on your roller thread but I couldn't find it. I'm using a smooth roller, though there is a knobbly version to move onto if I get bored. Nice to hear the pain goes away; the instructor said that as muscles start to unwind it does stops hurting. Something to look forward to, I suppose!

« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2013, 11:13:31 am »
Just stick with it, I only do a few minutes on both upper/lower legs and lower back after every ride and I can feel a difference. I've worked the knotted parts in my calf muscles a little extra. Within two weeks you'll be an animal on it :D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert