Author Topic: Watershipdown 10th jan 2016  (Read 2525 times)

Watershipdown 10th jan 2016
« on: 04 January, 2016, 10:55:20 am »
Less then a week to this fine event around the Hampshire downland. So who's riding?

Re: Watershipdown 10th jan 2016
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:46:05 pm »
The usual suspects from Romsey will be in attendance  :thumbsup:
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2016, 04:13:02 pm »
Forgot to enter  :-[
Mojo is being awakened.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2016, 10:41:13 am »
I'm only riding nice scenic events this year ... so I'm in  :thumbsup:
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2016, 05:33:50 pm »
Event filled up before I thought of entering.  But now have other commitments anyway.
My neighbour (actually next door but one) is entered, his first audax.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2016, 05:36:42 pm »
I'm in.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2016, 02:10:43 pm »
In.
Mince pie insulation layer needs working on!

« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2016, 09:26:53 pm »
Will it be icy?  Remember that year when many fell off!  Hopefully ok this year

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2016, 06:15:03 am »
Meeting at Micks Burger van at 7 for those riding from/to Pompey.

H

Nelson Longflap

« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2016, 05:36:06 pm »
No sign of ice during the ride according to the BBC Andover forecast, although 4 degC at around 7am indicates a possibility of ground frost for those riding over to the event.  <crosses fingers>

I do remember ... I enjoyed a 2 km walk in the sunshine down Walbury Hill due to thick ice on the North side of the hill. The weather is a significant factor, and part of the excitement of this event; I'm guessing it will be ultra-skoggy on Sunday with a possibility of some deep standing water. 

Hummers

« Reply #10 on: 09 January, 2016, 08:22:43 am »
No sign of ice during the ride according to the BBC Andover forecast, although 4 degC at around 7am indicates a possibility of ground frost for those riding over to the event.  <crosses fingers>

I do remember ... I enjoyed a 2 km walk in the sunshine down Walbury Hill due to thick ice on the North side of the hill. The weather is a significant factor, and part of the excitement of this event; I'm guessing it will be ultra-skoggy on Sunday with a possibility of some deep standing water.

Yes, I remember both front and back wheels locked and having to fall off onto the grass bank to the left.

H

Hummers

« Reply #11 on: 09 January, 2016, 04:22:45 pm »
Buggeration.

Am wading through course preparation materials received this morning and have come to the point of "I am going to be stuffed Monday if I don't get this in my head".

Have a good one chaps.

H

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #12 on: 10 January, 2016, 08:59:48 pm »
9pm and no reports yet. :o

Were there any survivors? 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #13 on: 10 January, 2016, 10:39:20 pm »
I meant to ride to the start to do a meet n greet...... but I forgot.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #14 on: 11 January, 2016, 06:44:16 am »
Well, it was the usual packed hall at Kings Worthy, with the event full up since before Christmas.

We were treated to a very fine morning of sunshine and temperatures pleasant enough for shorts.  A gentle southerly blew us up to Burghclere on lanes that were occasionally very mucky but on the whole pretty clear.  The only particularly bad bit was at the foot of Walbury Hill were the lanes were pot holed and gritty.

There seemed to be 100s of puncture victims, and as I descended off Watership, it was my turn.  After that, the route back home up and down the long rollers was into a slightly nagging headwind.  Rain clouds were visible along the south coast, but although the roads were sometimes wet I stayed dry.

So that was another Watership Down complete.  As I looped home via Cheesefoot Head, the sun once again shone to complete a good day's ride.

Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Nelson Longflap

« Reply #15 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:54:46 am »
It was a cracking ride, helped by conditions being much better than my (low) expectations. Despite the dire weather forecast I never got wet (from above), even on the ride home :thumbsup:

I was late to the meeting point with AC Portsmouth so rode to Kingsworthy alone, but it was pleasant enough. On the WD ride there were a few challenging conditions (otherwise it wouldn't be Watership Down) - should I ride along the river in the gutter, or along the mud in the middle of the "road"? The worst of it was the many patches of muddy floods across the road where you just had to hope for the best there were no big holes underwheel (grateful thanks to the guys who warned me about a monster invisible hole in the middle of one flooded section). Very nice lunch in the sunshine at Burghclere, (looking apprehensively at dark clouds to the South).

As always there was a great welcome and good cycling food at Kingsworthy, making a very worthwhile day out and a good start to the new year.

I think I prefer the 2015 route to the 2016 version, but will have to ride it again to be sure.