Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 956435 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1900 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:38:01 pm »
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

A film based upon a console game.

Trash, but good trash, plotline you could write yourself after seeing the first 5 minutes.  Myself and Mrs T needed a stupid film to watch, and having watch 4 Lions the other week (and not wanting to watch it again) we watched this.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1901 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:58:56 pm »
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

A film based upon a console game.
Which is itself based upon a PC game I was playing when I was an undergraduate ...  :-\

Dare you to watch the "Doom" movie - pure, unadulterated shit of the highest order. And not in a good way, either.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1902 on: 23 November, 2011, 03:03:08 pm »
Meet Joe Black

« Reply #1903 on: 23 November, 2011, 03:04:23 pm »
Knowing

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1904 on: 23 November, 2011, 04:26:32 pm »
Michael Clayton: George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton. Vaguely legal thriller. I didn't expect to enjoy this but thought it was a terrific film. So highly recommended. (Unless you don't like vaguely legal thrillers with George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton, in which case it probably isn't for you)

Yes, agreed, a terrific film, I think I fell a little bit more in love with Tilda Swinton after seeing her in this, my word she can act.  The portrayal of mania by Tom Wilkinson was just superb.  We've watched this again and again, I love that bit with the horses.

Oh what a good film that was, it deserved the plaudits, especially Tilda Swinton.

Watched X Men: First Class. It was so much fun, very cheesy in places and the cast was incredible. Watch out for the blink and you'll miss it Wolverine scene.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #1905 on: 24 November, 2011, 08:29:45 am »
Tilda Swinton was excellent in that film but she did bear a startling resemblance to Australia’s Prime Minister that I found a bit distracting. Although I don’t know why this should matter…

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1906 on: 28 November, 2011, 09:50:02 am »
On Saturday -Rio
Followed by a couple of episodes of "The Penguins of Madegascar"
Then on Sunday we watched "Happy Feet"

So a weekend of Avian based movies and programs :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1907 on: 28 November, 2011, 10:52:56 am »
National Media Museum

There's a sign of the times - it was the National Museum of Photography, Film & Television when I was a student. Used to love rooting through their archive and watching stuff you couldn't see anywhere else. Of course, that was in the days before YouTube...

Then I watched Arrietty, http://www.arriettymovie.co.uk/ as recommended by by animator friend.  Good recommendation too - I thoroughly enjoyed it.  And it was a bargainacious 2 quid!

Love it. Easily the best version of the Borrowers I've seen.

I really must be more organised next year and get to see more of the festival - and I heartily recommend it!

Sounds great. Too busy at the moment but I'll definitely watch all the clips you've linked later.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1908 on: 28 November, 2011, 10:59:52 am »
Made In Dagenham.

Enjoyed it greatly but with some reservations. Something about Rita's character didn't quite ring true so it was no surprise to learn when I looked it up afterwards to find out that she was a composite. Clearly the true story wasn't cinematic enough.

Was pleased that my 13yo enjoyed it though. He was completely captivated by it, not to mention shocked to learn that it was [based on] a true story.

And Miranda Richardson as Barbara Castle... One of my all-time favourite actresses playing one of my all-time favourite politicians. Marvellous.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1909 on: 28 November, 2011, 07:45:01 pm »
The Fighter

Good film with a great performance from Christian Bale.

fuzzy

« Reply #1910 on: 29 November, 2011, 04:20:57 pm »
Monsters

Starship Troopers meets District 9 meets E.T.

Not too toshy.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1911 on: 29 November, 2011, 04:35:27 pm »
G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

Contains just about very sci-fi action cliche in the playbook in rapid sequence order. The scene where the baddie detonates the ice cap above his evil lair on the ocean floor below to crush the invading goodies who had invaded said evil lair was a special treat.

On the up side, I was just about able to stay in the same room as the TV though I only awarded it about 1 in 20 brain cycles, which is more than can be said for Transformers.

red marley

« Reply #1912 on: 29 November, 2011, 10:43:23 pm »
Take Shelter.

Saw this knowing almost nothing about what sort of film this would be. I think it worked better that way and would recommend watching it without reading any reviews or synopses first (most seem to be rate it very highly, although Peter Bradshaw in the Guardian hated it). Was half expecting a "If you have been affected by any of the issues in this programme, you can all the BBC action line on..." at the end.

(click to show/hide)

fuzzy

« Reply #1913 on: 30 November, 2011, 11:58:52 am »
G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

Contains just about very sci-fi action cliche in the playbook in rapid sequence order. The scene where the baddie detonates the ice cap above his evil lair on the ocean floor below to crush the invading goodies who had invaded said evil lair was a special treat.

On the up side, I was just about able to stay in the same room as the TV though I only awarded it about 1 in 20 brain cycles, which is more than can be said for Transformers.

I caught the endo of this and just revelled in the brain off SFX :)

I did wonder about the science though. Detonating the ice cap resulting in icebergs sinking and crushing stuff? Icebergs float don't they?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1914 on: 30 November, 2011, 12:02:06 pm »
Icebergs float don't they?

Not the bit under the water! :D
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #1915 on: 30 November, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »
Icebergs float don't they?

Not the bit under the water! :D

I bet that the bit under the water would float if you cut off the bit above the waterline though ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1916 on: 30 November, 2011, 12:06:04 pm »
Don't be silly.
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #1917 on: 30 November, 2011, 12:08:56 pm »
Party pooper.

spindrift

« Reply #1918 on: 30 November, 2011, 07:53:08 pm »
My Week With Marilyn. Very sweet and funny, Judy Dench is lovely, Branagh pulls of a very good Olivier (it's the thin lips) and Michelle Williams is rather wonderful and the film is very fair in that you really don't discover if Monroe was a manipulative schemer or a damaged, unhappy woman or just batshit crazy.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #1919 on: 03 December, 2011, 01:07:14 pm »
I watched Memento for the first time last night. Wow. My poor feeble BRANE hurt a bit afterwards.

« Reply #1920 on: 04 December, 2011, 02:18:20 am »
Waltz with Bashir - had forgotten how powerful this was, about a middle aged guy recovering long repressed memories by chatting with his war buddies about what they did (and didn't intervene during the Palestinian camp massacres) during the Israeli invasion of the Lebanon in 1982.

Frere

« Reply #1921 on: 04 December, 2011, 05:45:40 am »
Arthur Christmas.
Unashamed manipulative hocum.
Brought a tear to my eye, watching it together with seemingly all of Edinburgh's children last wed.
Highly recommended, but do take some children to make the magic work!

LindaG

« Reply #1922 on: 05 December, 2011, 10:53:05 pm »
<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=16062814&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=16062814&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Sorry about the rubbish embedding of the trailer.   But knowing how many people here love music as much as much more than I do, I had to plug this film, which Crusty and I went to see tonight.  Heartwarming, intimate, and funny, and much better than High Fidelity because it's entirely real. 

As a bonus, the owner of the record shop (Tom) was there at the cinema for a Q+A after the film.  I may need to go to the shop tomorrow and buy some St Saviour.

Also, anyone know where I can get a turntable?  I now yearn for vinyl ...

fuzzy

« Reply #1923 on: 06 December, 2011, 11:19:18 am »
Brief Encounter

Good old fashioned English accents and steam trains :thumbsup:

essexian

« Reply #1924 on: 06 December, 2011, 12:16:46 pm »
Dont laugh please but....

Ice Age 3.

Rather good but not as good as the first two IMHO.