Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950564 times)

LEE

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2000 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:50:45 am »
"Die Hard 4.0"

Some directors need to learn that, eventually, endless action sequences cross the line from exciting to just plain boring and "meh..whatever".

Naturally you need to suspend disbelief before you watch a Die-Hard film but there's too much disbelief to suspend in this one.  They missed a trick.  It had the potential to be a half decent "Jason Bourne meets John Mclane" romp but they just kept on raising the levels of ridiculousness until I got bored.

As a 60 something cop he was doing things to make a T1000 terminator wince.

5/10

Caveat 10/10 if you are a 13 year old boy (in which case it's the greatest story ever told).

LEE

« Reply #2001 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:58:23 am »
The Big Lebowski (for about the 5th time)

Let's get this over with - 10/10

It's just about the best way to spend a cold and wet Sunday afternoon.

Get the Hob-Nobs and a cuppa and settle down for a beautifully paced story about not very much.

My favourite scenes all involve the 3 Bowlers talking.  I think John Goodman steals the show in these scenes (as the irate Viet Nam vet).

Philip Seymour Hoffman is class in his "butler" role.

I could watch it again right now actually.

It was the perfect antedote to Die Hard 4.0  So little happens that, when it does, it's far more worthwhile than watching Bruce Willis walking around on top of a burning, and flying,  F35 Jet (I kid thee not).

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2002 on: 19 December, 2011, 12:42:32 pm »
I have to agree with LEE on TBL, it is one of my favourite films of all time.

And yes it did take me about 5 times f watching to realise just exactly what it is about....

For those who haven't seen it, or have and haven't worked it out....

(click to show/hide)

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2003 on: 19 December, 2011, 01:22:32 pm »
Speed.  Explosions and Dennis Hopper being a fruitcake as usual. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

« Reply #2004 on: 19 December, 2011, 01:28:17 pm »
I have to agree with LEE on TBL, it is one of my favourite films of all time.

And yes it did take me about 5 times f watching to realise just exactly what it is about....

For those who haven't seen it, or have and haven't worked it out....

(click to show/hide)

I also learned this time around that Jeff Bridges, the Dude, isn't "The Big Lebowski". 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2005 on: 19 December, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »
"Die Hard 4.0"
The biggest problem with that film is that Bruce Willis looks as clueless as your grandparents when faced with a computer.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #2006 on: 20 December, 2011, 09:42:38 am »
Urbanized, at the Barbican until 23rd December.

Totally inspiring - details and trailer link here

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2007 on: 20 December, 2011, 10:29:52 am »
Sherlock Holmes: A Hint of Shadowy Dangery Stuff

7/10. Brilliant in places. Ruined in others by Mr Madonna's obsession with guns-n-violence.

Has something for everyone; Stephen Fry, homo-erotic wrestling, gunfights at Didcot Railway museum, an obscure board game for Wowbagger. American actor doing an odd, but 100% consistent english accent.

A proper action-adventure - in the same realm as Raiders of the Lost Ark, but not quite as good - worth trekking to your local flick parlour.

Quite reasonable. A naked Stephen Fry was a bit much, and the excessive overuse of gratuitous and somewhat unneccessary (did you see what I did there?) slo-mo was a bit irking. Some flashes of brilliance, don't think it was as good as the first. Nice ending :)

Anyhow, good entertainment - not quite enough intellectual content for a cerebral movie, not quite enough action for an action movie, not quite enough characterisation for an emotional movie. 7/10 seems fair

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2008 on: 20 December, 2011, 10:35:47 am »
I've fallen out of the habit of watching stuff at home, so treated myself to some DVD's of old favourites, including Kieslowski's Three Colours Trilogy.   Tonight was Blue....a long time since I've seen it and just as good as I remember.

I've got those earmarked for the next two weeks of solitary confinement. I used to think Red was the best of the three - bit of an Irene Jacob thing, I think, but Blue is much more powerful. Jean de Florette & Manon des Sources are also on standby.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

fuzzy

« Reply #2009 on: 20 December, 2011, 02:18:16 pm »
More B&W goodness last night- Waterloo Road

Thank the Dogs forTurner Classic Movies :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2010 on: 20 December, 2011, 02:30:48 pm »
Work quiet today, so decided to watch Repoman....

Class, weird and class....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2011 on: 21 December, 2011, 07:46:31 pm »
Not watched yet but prompted by the recommendation above, I have just taken delivery of 3 Colours Trilogy from Ebay. Superfast delivery, I didn't expect to get them in time for Christmas.

Also last week after seeing the preview of the Christmas TV and not being particularly inspired by it I bought a Dr Who DVD from Amazon. Patrick Troughton was our favourite Doctor; I hope we are not going to be disappointed.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2012 on: 21 December, 2011, 07:49:38 pm »
The Bourne Supremacy.
Again.

« Reply #2013 on: 21 December, 2011, 08:12:09 pm »
I watched "White" last night, enjoyable enough but I've always thought it the weakest of the trilogy.  I may watch Red tonight.

A couple more packages turned up to tide me over the holidays. Koyaanisquatsi & Powaqqatsi  and Baraka & Chronos (not seen these two).
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2014 on: 22 December, 2011, 08:57:59 am »
Not watched yet but prompted by the recommendation above, I have just taken delivery of 3 Colours Trilogy from Ebay. Superfast delivery, I didn't expect to get them in time for Christmas.
I'm sure you know this already, but I'll say it anyway: make sure you watch them in Blue, White, Red order. After you've seen Blue, look out for the interplay in the court scenes. That's not a spoiler at all, but watching Red before the others will be.

If it turns out you like those, get The Double Life of Veronique. Kieslowski's Dekalog is also brilliant, but is a tough watch.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2015 on: 22 December, 2011, 09:02:21 am »
Will do AWL. Thanks for the tip!

« Reply #2016 on: 22 December, 2011, 09:05:23 am »
"The Ides of March", a few weeks ago.

« Reply #2017 on: 22 December, 2011, 12:16:10 pm »
Stella Street - The Movie. Amusing enough, but not as funny as the TV series.

Pathfinder - The Sami version. Very good winter-viewing film. The scenery is breathtaking and the action pretty good too. I couldn't even contemplate seeing the septic remake. I had to get a German version, but 'twas easy enough off Amazon or eBay.

spindrift

« Reply #2018 on: 22 December, 2011, 06:21:33 pm »
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SEQUEL OF CASH.

Rubbish.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2019 on: 23 December, 2011, 01:45:43 am »
Space Camp.

A tragically ill-timed NASA propaganda film set against the background of a tale of a boy and his forbidden love for an overly-literal robot (with root access to the NASA mainframe).  I never remembered it as being anywhere near as slashy.

Have decided that in the unlikely event of ending up in an implausible space travel disaster scenario, we're going have a designated non-cheerer to do the mundane stuff like steering the shuttle, and that 80s hair and motivational speeches will be kept to an absolute minimum.

« Reply #2020 on: 23 December, 2011, 03:30:08 am »
Knowing

Sci Fi thriller starring Nicholas Cage.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2021 on: 23 December, 2011, 11:07:47 am »
Despicable Me

Really funny with good animation
having young 'uns in the house is great for acting as a child again :thumbsup:

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2022 on: 23 December, 2011, 03:43:49 pm »
Sherlock II. All wrong, but strangely enjoyable as a mindless romp. I must be mellowing in my dotage.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2023 on: 23 December, 2011, 07:00:56 pm »
Logan's Run.  Jenny Agutter / Micheal York version

:thumbsup: 

« Reply #2024 on: 24 December, 2011, 12:12:14 am »
The Nutcracker on BBC 4 tonight.  A film of the Covent Garden production from 2000.  Although I can't watch male ballet dancers without a quick smile at Clive James's "speeding jaffa" paragraphs from one of his earlier autobiographical books, productions like this are up there with putting people on the moon in terms of human achievement.