Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950348 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2625 on: 10 October, 2012, 11:09:25 pm »
Prometheus. Again.

There's a vomit scene.

(find a safe place, find a safe place... there there....)  :facepalm:

Watched Prometheus tonight for first time.  Didn't expect too much after the writeups when it was in the cinema, but it thought was Ok - decent suspense and FX, and looked pretty good.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2626 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:41:16 am »
True Grit - the Coen bothers remake. We saw No country for Old Men (which I thought was excellent) and my wife want's to see all the other Coen brothers offerings. True Grit was... ok IMO.  Nothing special or memorable, but ok enough for me not to reach for a book to read whilst she watched it.

We're going to a "Flix in the Sticks" at our local church on Friday to see another Coen brothers film, Oh Brother Where Art Thou.  This may cure her of her blanket admiration.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Chris S

« Reply #2627 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:48:09 am »
The perks of being a Wallflower.

Not the film we (boab + #2daughter + #2birthdayboy + me) thought we were going to see. I'd checked IMDB to see what we were in for, and it sounded like some teenage-angst coming of age tale, which on the face of it, I guess it is. But it's not the point of the story so much as the backdrop.

We all enjoyed it. We laughed, and I think we all owned up to crying some too.

<hummers>
Oh, and I wanted to see how Hermione was coming along.
</hummers>

fuzzy

« Reply #2628 on: 11 October, 2012, 12:51:07 pm »

<hummers>
</hummers>

And?

« Reply #2629 on: 11 October, 2012, 01:34:32 pm »

<hummers>
</hummers>

And?

Very nicely  :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #2630 on: 11 October, 2012, 02:56:52 pm »

<hummers>
</hummers>

And?

Very nicely  :thumbsup:

Jakob

« Reply #2631 on: 11 October, 2012, 06:58:04 pm »
True Grit - the Coen bothers remake. We saw No country for Old Men (which I thought was excellent) and my wife want's to see all the other Coen brothers offerings. True Grit was... ok IMO.  Nothing special or memorable, but ok enough for me not to reach for a book to read whilst she watched it.

We're going to a "Flix in the Sticks" at our local church on Friday to see another Coen brothers film, Oh Brother Where Art Thou.  This may cure her of her blanket admiration.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou is very good :)

Jakob

« Reply #2632 on: 15 October, 2012, 08:26:39 am »
Saw "Looper" today and quite enjoyed it. A few time-travel logic failures, but nothing that interrupted the story.

« Reply #2633 on: 15 October, 2012, 11:41:27 pm »
Tony Scott's last film - Unstoppable.   Worth watching & Denzel Washingline is always on good form (IMO)...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2634 on: 16 October, 2012, 08:29:17 pm »
Saw "Looper" today and quite enjoyed it. A few time-travel logic failures, but nothing that interrupted the story.

I liked it at first but it got slower and dumber as it went.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2635 on: 24 October, 2012, 11:39:24 pm »
Tyrannosaur.  Bleak British film.  But with powerful emotions running through it.

LindaG

« Reply #2636 on: 24 October, 2012, 11:40:39 pm »
Tyrannasaur.  Bleak British film.  But with powerful emotions running through it.

Ah, I wanted to see that.  Great cast.

Chris S

« Reply #2637 on: 25 October, 2012, 08:36:15 am »
Captain America. Shite. We turned it off as we'd both reverted to phone/netbook and weren't paying attention.

Just couldn't suspend disbelief enough for it.

« Reply #2638 on: 25 October, 2012, 09:08:25 am »
You're not supposed to.

The Cap america comic was written as anti-nazi propaganda during WWII. The film follows that with the main character complaining about being used as propaganda
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2639 on: 25 October, 2012, 10:00:26 am »
We're building up to Avengers but at this rate we may not bother- Thor & Cap'n America were both utter tosh, even for the genre.

« Reply #2640 on: 25 October, 2012, 10:02:43 am »
The Avengers is a comedy
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Hillbilly

« Reply #2641 on: 25 October, 2012, 12:35:45 pm »
We're building up to Avengers but at this rate we may not bother- Thor & Cap'n America were both utter tosh, even for the genre.

Avengers Assemble is worth it.  I also didn't rate Thor & Captain America as highly as others, thought Iron Man 1+2 were half decent (although Mickey Rooney's character grated with me).  But Avengers knocked them for six.

Not as good as the animated series though.

« Reply #2642 on: 26 October, 2012, 09:25:22 pm »
Captain America was poor, I'd completely forgotten the plot by the time I saw the Avengers.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #2643 on: 27 October, 2012, 12:06:00 am »
Skyfall.

Fab escapist fantasy, except black SUVs and exec limos dominating the inner city. That's pure Westminster/TfL reality.

Jakob

« Reply #2644 on: 27 October, 2012, 12:08:45 am »
I enjoyed Capt America and Thor, whereas Avengers took itself far too seriously.
The only real good bit was: Scarlett Johanson (Main reason to see the film) and Hulk beating the crap out of Loki.

« Reply #2645 on: 28 October, 2012, 12:48:07 am »
Skyfall, best Bond movie ever.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

red marley

« Reply #2646 on: 28 October, 2012, 10:10:05 am »
Skyfall. But I did wonder if I'd wandered into a Batman film by mistake, complete with a Wayne Manor staffed by a faithful servant, early orphaning of our hero turning him into a emotionally depleted crime fighter and a baddie whose oral disfiguration turned him into a psychopathic Joker.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2647 on: 29 October, 2012, 07:26:20 pm »
Skyfall.  Entertaining enough but somehow I can't reconcile Bond films and computer hacking; Bond would surely be a complete technophobe who would just put a bullet in any piece of equipment that didn't immediately do as he wanted.  Also, the inevitable "Hollywood OS" screen simulations and all the fancy graphics are laughable.  At least they used command-line nmap in The Matrix series.

Oh, and did Judi Dench say "fucked"?  That's like your mum swearing  :o

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2648 on: 29 October, 2012, 08:22:56 pm »
101 Dalmatians. For about the hundredth time. The Glenn Close one. It is about as sickly sweet as it is possible for a film with a mainly British cast to be. Isn't it? Now, how long is left of half term?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2649 on: 29 October, 2012, 08:24:42 pm »
You can always tell half term is coming from the adverts on the side of buses for shite kids' films with a vague Hallowe'en theme.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.