Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950427 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3100 on: 18 March, 2013, 10:59:50 am »
Lawless

That was quite good. There were a few moments of "why on earth did they..." but that's presumably because it's based on real events. Excellent visuals and soundtrack too.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #3101 on: 18 March, 2013, 11:15:36 am »
On The Road

Oh dear, what a shame. I've been trying to work out why it was so crap. Yes, we all know the characters in the book were based on real people, but Kerouac used those characters to write a cracking good story. The makers of the film seem to have turned that round and made a biopic about those actual people, with what we know about them now, using the pseudonyms from the book. Oh and adding 20 random sex scenes does not make it any more interesting.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3102 on: 19 March, 2013, 04:52:31 pm »
The Amazing Spiderman.

Denis Leary dies, Rhys Ifans gets sent to jail and the guy who looks like he should be in Twilight Saga, but isn't, turns out to be spidey...

It was ok, not brilliant, just ok, and better than previous attempts.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3103 on: 19 March, 2013, 05:48:50 pm »
Lawless

That was quite good. There were a few moments of "why on earth did they..." but that's presumably because it's based on real events. Excellent visuals and soundtrack too.

I saw it in the cinema -   I felt the film was overly long and wasn't all that impressed with Shia Unspellable-Surname's acting but overall ok.  The soundtrack was great though.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3104 on: 20 March, 2013, 10:24:38 pm »
The Master.  A recent film by PT Anderson.  Had the typically slow, intense feel I get from most of his films.  Another tale of a dominating, older central character who uses manipulation and  force of  character to accrue power and influence.  This time based loosely on Ron L Hubbard and his cult.  If you like There Will Be Blood, this film is for you (as it was for me).

« Reply #3105 on: 20 March, 2013, 10:53:37 pm »
Priest, which I think was better than its critical reception implied.  The imagery and footography was certainly impressive, but the storyline and characters were a bit predictable.

(click to show/hide)

Overall I think it was well done, and worth seeing for the cinematography.  They could have been a bit more original with some of the ideas, but what's been done is impressive, just lacking originality, too much of what's shown having been done before, not always better, but this new version isn't always distinct enough.  A shame really, with the money they clearly spent on it, it could have been a very successful blockbuster with a more carefully written and thought out script.

Oh, not this  Priest,  which was rather good, but lacked vampires..
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3106 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:25:16 pm »
Just watched Skyfall on DVD.

Mini review :

Daniel Craig looks old and craggy (but still in very good shape)
New Q ? ...... episode of Spooks
Didn't recognise Albert Finney ?
What a way to treat a DB5
Let me get this right - 6 blokes with Hechler & Coch autos on rapid fire miss Bond with every shot, and he then picks them off one by one with his Walther
Ah, Judie Dench....bless

James Bond will return.

There you go, save yourselves 2 hours.

« Reply #3107 on: 21 March, 2013, 11:04:42 pm »
Watched Side Effects last night. It got a little far fetched and some things didn't make much sense towards the end, but thought it was pretty good overall.

Also saw Primer earlier in the week after a recommendation from a friend. It made my brain hurt.

« Reply #3108 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:43:47 am »
Funeral in Berlin, excellent cold war, period piece, set, strangely enough in early 60's Berlin.  As a film perhaps not as good as The Ipcress File.

Skyfall?  Yes rubbish, but I enjoyed it.  Just don't take it seriously and you'll be fine. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3109 on: 22 March, 2013, 10:53:47 pm »
Tremors 4: The Legend Begins.

Low-budget cheese prequel that doesn't disappoint.  In fact, it totally holds up.

Big guns, beans, one-liners, CAKE, Brooks saddles, slack chains *and* belts, steam engines, more beans and badly-timed tea.  I'm convinced a YACFer had their hand in the script.

« Reply #3110 on: 22 March, 2013, 11:35:21 pm »
Tremors 4: The Legend Begins.

Low-budget cheese prequel that doesn't disappoint.  In fact, it totally holds up.

Big guns, beans, one-liners, CAKE, Brooks saddles, slack chains *and* belts, steam engines, more beans and badly-timed tea.  I'm convinced a YACFer had their hand in the script.

Beans, tea, CAKE, one liners, big guns........... sounds like the sort of breakfast we _should_ have been enjoying tomorrow in Banbury...... those survivors that were not being treated for frostbite & hypothermia...... ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3111 on: 23 March, 2013, 08:22:44 am »
Let me get this right - 6 blokes with Hechler & Coch autos on rapid fire miss Bond with every shot, and he then picks them off one by one with his Walther

See my earlier comments on Midnight Run. I find myself increasingly annoyed by this kind of thing in Hollywood movies. Yes, I know it's only meant to be stupid entertainment, but ffs!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #3112 on: 23 March, 2013, 08:25:38 am »
Now that's how I like my feelgood movies - a cause worth fighting for, pantomime baddies and some classic Barbara Castle moments.

Makes me wish Barbara Castle was a character in more films. Played by Miranda Richardson, of course.

« Reply #3113 on: 23 March, 2013, 10:38:18 am »

See my earlier comments on Midnight Run. I find myself increasingly annoyed by this kind of thing in Hollywood movies. Yes, I know it's only meant to be stupid entertainment, but ffs!

Your problems are that you care what a 'Hechler & Coch' and 'Walther' is.  Worse still you can identify them and apparently know their qualities!  That's worrying :o.

Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

« Reply #3114 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:36:26 pm »
No, you're confusing me with Littlesox. I only know enough about guns to know that six trained men armed with automatic weapons will have much better odds of hitting their target than a lone gunman armed with a small pistol.

Perhaps my problem is that I've been on the firing range a few times, so I know how hard it is to hit a stationary target from 50yds with a powerful rifle with decent sights, even when you're not being shot at yourself and have all the time you want to take aim.

I don't expect realism from Hollywood but I don't like being treated like an imbecile either.

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3115 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:42:20 pm »

Your problems are that you care what a 'Hechler & Coch' and 'Walther' is.  Worse still you can identify them and apparently know their qualities!  That's worrying :o.

I hate to be the bangstick pedant here, but it is Heckler & Koch.
Getting there...

« Reply #3116 on: 23 March, 2013, 03:12:20 pm »

I thought he was carrying a Glock
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3117 on: 23 March, 2013, 03:23:22 pm »
I can't comment on the specifics in the film, I just knew that company name.

However, depressingly, there is an Internet Movie Firearms Database, with an entry for Skyfall

Seems that, while Bond has his usual Walther PPK/S, he does use someone else's Glock 17 at some point
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #3118 on: 23 March, 2013, 03:32:38 pm »

I was pretending I didn't know that.

« Reply #3119 on: 23 March, 2013, 09:39:05 pm »
Monsters

Recorded last night on Film4 just watched it.
A SciFi adventure on a journey through alien infested Mexico, by Gareth Edwards.

IMO ......... Brilliant   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3120 on: 23 March, 2013, 11:05:12 pm »
That Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy film (currently in iPlayer).  I didn't think much of it the first time round, but it's all in the visual details rather than the characters, and as such it grows on you with a second viewing.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3121 on: 24 March, 2013, 03:45:37 pm »
We watched Prometheus last night. Looked beautiful, great cast but there were so many plot-holes that it made it quite 2-Dimensional and clunky. It actually started to pick up around 20 minutes before the end. I don't think it was all that bad, but it was frustrating that there was real promise to this film and that it was wasted  :(

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3122 on: 24 March, 2013, 06:34:07 pm »
Winter's Bone. Jennifer Lawrence was excellent.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3123 on: 25 March, 2013, 07:38:40 am »
Ted. 

Couple of laugh out moments, couple of wry smiles.  Which for a modern comedy is a pretty good payback, even if it is filled with film cliches and tropes.  With added Sam Jones (if you don't know who Sam Jones is, then shame on you).

Pity the bear is voiced by Seth McFarlane.  He should be committed for crimes against humanity for his TV "comedy" Family Guy.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3124 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:03:51 am »
Pity the bear is voiced by Seth McFarlane.  He should be committed for crimes against humanity for his TV "comedy" Family Guy.

The whole film is a Seth McFarlane production.

FWIW I find there are two types of people in this world, those that get Family Guy and those that don't.  Same with American Dad and Robot Chicken.  I get Family Guy and Robot Chicken, but can't stand American Dad.

Last night watch RED, again.  I love that film for what it is, just pure, stupid, unadultarated trash.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State