Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950181 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3125 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:29:05 am »
With added Sam Jones (if you don't know who Sam Jones is, then shame on you).

Gordon's alive!

I would say I "get" Family Guy but I find it cringe-inducingly unfunny. Ted is just another incarnation of the Stewie character, isn't he? Doesn't appeal.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3126 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:34:56 am »
Godfather part 1.

Well, two thirds of it at least. Sailed through the wedding, shooting of Don Corlione, Lucca Bravo Foxtrot Delta swimming with fishes, Michael shooting the police captain and Taggliatelle, Michael on holiday in Sicily and marrying a girl, then it all got far too much for me: "Look your tired, go to bed, there's another hour and half still to go!!!"

Still thoroughly enjoyed it, for the umpteenth time.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Hillbilly

« Reply #3127 on: 25 March, 2013, 09:09:22 am »
With added Sam Jones (if you don't know who Sam Jones is, then shame on you).

Gordon's alive!

I would say I "get" Family Guy but I find it cringe-inducingly unfunny. Ted is just another incarnation of the Stewie character, isn't he? Doesn't appeal.

More like Peter crossed with Brian.

I also don't get American Guy (even more so than Family Guy).  That humanity splits into two on whether they get it or not, makes me hopeful that maybe mankind does have a future after all.

Robot Chicken is amusing though.  At least the few episodes I've watched (mainly the SW ones) and the clips on youtube.  It's funny in the same way that (warning - videogame reference) the radio stations and TV shows within Grand Theft Auto 3/4 are funny.

LEE

« Reply #3128 on: 25 March, 2013, 10:59:18 am »
Just watched Skyfall on DVD.

Let me get this right - 6 blokes with Hechler & Coch autos on rapid fire miss Bond with every shot, and he then picks them off one by one with his Walther

Errr..yes...he's James Bond. 

What was it about the previous 20 or so Bond films that made you think he'd get shot and die, or miss the baddies, in this one?

Normally he has a futuristic magnetic watch that makes it easier to unzip a woman's dress then using traditional fingers.  Come to think of it, he's been amazingly lucky over the years, that his predicaments have precisely matched the gadgets he has been supplied with.

Micro SCUBA-Pen?  "Crikey..this will be handy if I fall into a pool of sharks...."

Circular Saw Watch? "Let's hope I get tied up in the precise way so I can use it to cut the ropes"

He rarely gets trapped in a pool of sharks with a pair of shoes that turn into binoculars.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3129 on: 25 March, 2013, 11:24:22 am »
Although if he did, no doubt there would be a comedy moment when the shot from the perspective of being viewed through the binoculaurs suggesting a large shark was revealed to be a tiddler.  Mind you, the days of light Bond, a la Roger "Eyebrow" Moore are long gone.  It's all so fracking serious now.

fuzzy

« Reply #3130 on: 25 March, 2013, 12:34:05 pm »
Just watched Skyfall on DVD.

Let me get this right - 6 blokes with Hechler & Coch autos on rapid fire miss Bond with every shot, and he then picks them off one by one with his Walther

Errr..yes...he's James Bond. 

What was it about the previous 20 or so Bond films that made you think he'd get shot and die, or miss the baddies, in this one?

Normally he has a futuristic magnetic watch that makes it easier to unzip a woman's dress then using traditional fingers.  Come to think of it, he's been amazingly lucky over the years, that his predicaments have precisely matched the gadgets he has been supplied with.

Micro SCUBA-Pen?  "Crikey..this will be handy if I fall into a pool of sharks...."

Circular Saw Watch? "Let's hope I get tied up in the precise way so I can use it to cut the ropes"

He rarely gets trapped in a pool of sharks with a pair of shoes that turn into binoculars.

Ah! But he does. You just don't realise it.

At the beginning of filming, the Bond character and the Q character do the whole "Well Bond, what you have there is a compressed CO2 boosted, laser sighted right threaded lousepoodle. Turn that so, slide this thus and press the red button marked "Do Not press"- try not to break it" with gazillions of gadgets. The production crew then wait to see what peril Bond gets himself into and what he uses to get out of it. They then leave the bits of film about unsuded gadgets on the cutting room floor.

As for the shooting thing- You all fail to realise that Bond is an Officer and a Gentleman, a BRITISH Officer and a Gentleman. He is therefore, naturaly a far better shot than all those foreign oiks shooting in his general direction.

fuzzy

« Reply #3131 on: 25 March, 2013, 12:35:49 pm »
Last night watch RED, again.  I love that film for what it is, just pure, stupid, unadultarated trash.

Not seen it before but hey, that was a laugh. :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3132 on: 25 March, 2013, 06:17:05 pm »
Kill List.

a very enexpected ending

« Reply #3133 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:15:07 pm »
Kill List.

a very enexpected ending

+1 to the ending. I notice it won Empire magazine's horror film of the year the other day. Not sure how good that is mind ? 

« Reply #3134 on: 30 March, 2013, 12:29:53 pm »
Last night watch RED, again.  I love that film for what it is, just pure, stupid, unadultarated trash.

RED suits my choice in films perfectly, utterly stupid escapism.  Perfect. :)

FWIW I find there are two types of people in this world, those that get Family Guy and those that don't.  Same with American Dad and Robot Chicken.  I get Family Guy and Robot Chicken, but can't stand American Dad.

I quite like Family Guy and American Dad, so long as they don't get moralistic, which is fairly rare with both of those, but a common failing of American productions.  I've never seen Robot Chicken, so can't comment on that.

Rise of the Guardians.

Quite fun, although a little bit too much child appeal in places (but heah, it is a kid's film).  The 3D worked OK in places, although it had less necessity than in many other films.

I did particularly like the Australian Easter Bunny with his boomerangs. :thumbsup:

"I hope you like carrots". ;D

The other side-kicks, the fairies, elves, stone eggs, and sasquatches were also quite amusing, especially the elves and sasquatchi, although they all seem to be single gendered (excepting the eggs which don't really have a gender, conceptually or visibly).  Possibly the sasquatch are male and female, and like Pratchett's dwarves, it's difficult to tell which is which!  You kind of wonder how they all reproduce though!
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3135 on: 30 March, 2013, 12:50:49 pm »
"Tess", for the first time in years.  Leaving aside the question of whether Roman Polanski was knobbing the star, it's a pretty much perfect adaptation of the book.  As you get older you appreciate that Angel is in fact the villain - he's prudish, hypocritical, inept and apparently cops off with Tess's younger sister at the end of the book - and Alec, although a pantomime cad, is not bad through and through.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3136 on: 30 March, 2013, 02:35:21 pm »
Kill List.

a very enexpected ending

+1 to the ending. I notice it won Empire magazine's horror film of the year the other day. Not sure how good that is mind ?

‘Kill List’ won that in 2012, it was ‘Woman in Black’ this year.

However, ‘Sightseers’, another very dark film from Ben Wheatley won Best British Film this year

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3137 on: 30 March, 2013, 11:39:48 pm »
Skyfall 2

It was much better than the first one.
It is simpler than it looks.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3138 on: 31 March, 2013, 04:37:07 pm »
Skyfall

The best bit was the appearance of the iconic DB5 & the proper Bond theme over the end credits.

The rest left me wondering what all the fuss was about

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3139 on: 31 March, 2013, 05:18:19 pm »
No, you're confusing me with Littlesox. I only know enough about guns to know that six trained men armed with automatic weapons will have much better odds of hitting their target than a lone gunman armed with a small pistol.

Perhaps my problem is that I've been on the firing range a few times, so I know how hard it is to hit a stationary target from 50yds with a powerful rifle with decent sights, even when you're not being shot at yourself and have all the time you want to take aim.

I don't expect realism from Hollywood but I don't like being treated like an imbecile either.

d.
The books make it clear that Mr Bond is the best shot in the service. The henchmen are obviously not.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

« Reply #3140 on: 31 March, 2013, 05:27:24 pm »
Apollo 13.  Ed Harris is very good.  Everyone else just seems to play themselves, especially Tom Hanks who is the same in every movie.  Except Forrest Gump where he affects a different accent.

I like the fat nerds at Mission Control and the chain smoking.

simonp

« Reply #3141 on: 31 March, 2013, 05:48:27 pm »
Source Code

Been meaning to see this for ages and glad I finally go round to it. Fantastic. Loved it. Trying not to think too hard about it now though, because I'll only expose the flaws and spoil my enjoyment...

(click to show/hide)

This has made made want to watch it again.

Most recently, we watched District 9. It was rather different, and very good indeed.

(click to show/hide)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3142 on: 31 March, 2013, 06:27:24 pm »
Oranges and Sunshine. Very moving.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3143 on: 31 March, 2013, 08:28:16 pm »
I didn't watch either of them completely, but Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Uncle Buck were on last night. John Hughes 80s middle class American family feel good nostalgia overkill!

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3144 on: 31 March, 2013, 08:32:52 pm »
Nowt wrong with oodles of John Candy.

« Reply #3145 on: 01 April, 2013, 09:06:19 am »
End of Watch

Good reviews but decidedly rubbish. The hand-held home video style is completely tedious and not at all clever after the first few minutes, also does not work when there's no-one else in the scene to supposedly hold the camera. The introduction/character development took three quarters of the film, and the storyline was all over the place. Good acting but ultimately a waste of time.

Looper

Silly, predictable, but enjoyable.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

rogerzilla

« Reply #3146 on: 01 April, 2013, 09:22:50 am »
Because it was £2 for two films at the s/h DVD shop:

American Pie presents: Band Camp

One of the straight-to-DVD spinoffs.  Not much plot but I've seen worse.  The Chinese kid who thinks he's a gangsta rapper is quite good.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3147 on: 01 April, 2013, 12:31:16 pm »

I like the fat nerds at Mission Control and the chain smoking.

"You Sir are a steely-eyed missileman"   ;D

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3148 on: 01 April, 2013, 12:49:18 pm »
End of Watch

Good reviews but decidedly rubbish. The hand-held home video style is completely tedious and not at all clever after the first few minutes, also does not work when there's no-one else in the scene to supposedly hold the camera. The introduction/character development took three quarters of the film, and the storyline was all over the place. Good acting but ultimately a waste of time.

Looper

Silly, predictable, but enjoyable.

I was kind of the other way round, I disliked the had-held camera style which added nothing and made the film less enjoyable.  I did enjoy it overall though and thought it was refeshing to have a cop film which had cops not being bad guys/other side of the coin from criminals.*  I liked the just riding around and gernally bullshitting each other day to day stuff.  I'm wondering what Fuzzy would make of it?

Looper I enjoyed up until it turned into Carrie - was quite enjoying the time travel film, despite the expanding plot holes and paradoxes so the latter part of the film didn't work for me.  I might enjoy it more the second time around.

*I don't mind that as a plot but good to see the other side too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3149 on: 01 April, 2013, 04:03:43 pm »
Son Of Rambow

Surreal 80s nostalgia comedy in the same vein as Moone Boy.  Automatically hilarious to anyone on the Gen X/Y borderline, especially if you ever made a bad action film[1] with bunch of 11 year olds and borrowed video equipment.

[1] While our stunts weren't in the same league, our sound[2] and special effects[3] were better, but continuity suffered from the director/lead actor re-writing the script between takes for different camera angles.
[2] A utility on an Amiga Format coverdisk allowed us to rip all the machine gun and explosion noises from computer games and cue them up during editing.
[3] We had ketchup in *squeezable* bottles.