Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950220 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3175 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:47:01 am »
Why waste your time watching Armageddon or deep impact, when 2012 surpasses all.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3176 on: 07 April, 2013, 10:05:12 am »
Why waste your time watching Armageddon or deep impact, when 2012 surpasses all.
In the amusing nonsense stakes?  Let's be honest, it's The Day After Tomorrow with geology rather than climate change.  Still, according to Wikipedia:

Emmerich has announced that the film will be his last involving disasters

Thanks $DEITY for that.  Stargate was quite original.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3177 on: 07 April, 2013, 11:38:39 am »
Really?  Hollywood females usually look like they lost the key to the pie cupboard.

Well, there isn't a single fat person (that much credit to the casting team).  But the starving peons are just badly dressed, which is Hollywood Deprivation.  "We're so hungry we ate the colour from our clothes!"
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

LindaG

« Reply #3178 on: 07 April, 2013, 01:02:03 pm »
You've forgotten to mention 'Knowing'.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3179 on: 08 April, 2013, 05:58:23 am »
Peggy Sue Got Married - came out the year after Back to the Future and was a different take on the 'back to the 50s' movie.

Quite enjoyed it overall but the ending was a bit weak.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3180 on: 08 April, 2013, 07:44:22 am »
Bridesmaids. Not as good as everyone seems to think it is, but not terrible.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

fuzzy

« Reply #3181 on: 08 April, 2013, 10:07:51 am »
I haven't seen Armageddon, ftr.

I'm not rushing to plug that gap.
I think I recommend it. It's outrageous  USA loving tosh. The yanks save the world, there's bombs and stupid soldiers and heroes in boiler suits. It's crap, but in a fun way. Your disbelief isn't suspended for a nano second, but it's silly macho fiction.
I don't think I'd enjoy Deep Impact. Cerebral? In a disaster movie? What's the point of that?

Nah, it's a good mixture I reckon, it plays pretty well the first time around, when you're really not sure how it's going to end.  It's got Robert Duvall in it too  :thumbsup:

Deep Impact-

Frodo Baggins onna motorbike.

President Morgan Freeman.

Robert Duval and friends
(click to show/hide)

Was an OK film. I still watch bits of it when channel hopping.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #3182 on: 08 April, 2013, 10:12:31 am »
New jack City. I saw this in '91 at the cinema. At the time it felt really gritty and hard-hitting. Watching it again all these years later it felt about as hard-hitting as Fresh Prince.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #3183 on: 08 April, 2013, 10:13:46 am »
Bridesmaids. Not as good as everyone seems to think it is, but not terrible.

I enjoyed it. Has one of the funniest uses of the word 'cunt' in film.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

« Reply #3184 on: 08 April, 2013, 10:58:45 pm »
White Chicks.

Not my choice. Bloody awful. Still, I got some ironing done

« Reply #3185 on: 08 April, 2013, 11:52:36 pm »
White chicks. Worth it just to watch Terry Crews sing Thousand Miles
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tibpUpXsK04&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tibpUpXsK04&rel=1</a>

« Reply #3186 on: 09 April, 2013, 12:35:18 pm »
That was the bit I admitted was funny.

Andrew

« Reply #3187 on: 09 April, 2013, 12:51:07 pm »
I thought John Woo had made some decent movies. Paycheck is not one of them.

Jakob

« Reply #3188 on: 10 April, 2013, 01:17:15 am »
I thought John Woo had made some decent movies. Paycheck is not one of them.

John Woo hasn't made any decent movies since leaving Hong Kong and even those movies relied heavily on Chow Yun-Fat.
That series is probably still worth watching, though (Michael Bay clearly got his main inspiration from those):
The Killer
A Better Tomorrow
Hardboiled.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3189 on: 11 April, 2013, 03:11:07 am »
On the bus with wings last weekend:
Quartet - Old British act-ors plus Billy Connoly playing an old codger who is a bit durty. Faintly amusing.
I Give It A Year - Made in Britain rom-com. Pretty shit, though the love interest was quite dishy.
Cloud Atlas - turns out I've read rather more of the book than I thought I had. Quite good, but long. OTOH it's not like I was doing anything else.
I also watched something else but it escapes me entirely, so it must have been rly good.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Andrew

« Reply #3190 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:47:14 am »
Juno - a very refreshing, intelligent and amusing film. Recommended.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3191 on: 11 April, 2013, 11:13:16 am »
Son Of Rambow

Surreal 80s nostalgia comedy in the same vein as Moone Boy.  Automatically hilarious to anyone on the Gen X/Y borderline, especially if you ever made a bad action film[1] with bunch of 11 year olds and borrowed video equipment.

Ho yuss! We actually did an A-Team spoof for a school project. I absolutely loved Son Of Rambow.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3192 on: 11 April, 2013, 11:17:41 am »
Finally got round to seeing Taken at the weekend when it was on telly. In line with my previous comments on the flaws of modern Hollywood action films, I was expecting to hate it...

I abso-frickin-lutely loved it. Brilliant. Just brilliant. That is how to make an action movie. And given that the bad guys were such appalling scum, it didn't even send my moral compass spinning too much when he started bumping them off messily and in great numbers.

Just one question though...

WHO'S DRIVING THE BOAT?

;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3193 on: 11 April, 2013, 12:10:53 pm »
On BBC4 recently:

Oil City Confidential.  Julian Temple's rockumentary on Dr Feelgood.  Introduced me to the greatness of their live music (I was too young to appreciate them first time around), and Wilko is such an irresistible character.  He now has terminal cancer. :(

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gLTknW-79tM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/gLTknW-79tM&rel=1</a>
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #3194 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:13:53 pm »
Just now on Film 4, 'The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec'.

More weird French film making, including Egyptian mummies, strange powers, Le President, a pterodactyl (of course) & bizarre coma-inducing tennis accidents (no, really). Like Indiana Jones on acid in French, but with rather better jokes & conceits.

Even more weird, Adele's twin sister (you know, the one in the coma following the bizarre tennis accident) bore more than a passing resemblance to Mme Charlotte OTP.  Spooky.

« Reply #3195 on: 11 April, 2013, 09:19:58 pm »
The Sound Of Music.

Thought it might cheer me up. It hasn't. Still good.

« Reply #3196 on: 12 April, 2013, 08:26:51 am »
Oblivion

Straightforward sci-fi. Enjoyable, as long as you ignore the fact that the leading man is Tom Cruise.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3197 on: 14 April, 2013, 06:17:14 am »
Oblivion

Straightforward sci-fi. Enjoyable, as long as you ignore the fact that the leading man is Tom Cruise.

I saw it yesterday and really quite liked it.  I think I would have enjoyed it an awful lot more if I was in my early teens and hadn't already seen a lot of the films it was riffing off (or read a lot of SF) but I went in with low expectations and came out pleasantly surprised.  The plot is probably too spoilery to discuss and you'll see the story twists, reveals and dialogue coming from a light year away but it was enjoyable despite that.

Felt a bit long but possibly because the latter part of the film wasn't as well structured as the early part  - which was pretty tight.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #3198 on: 14 April, 2013, 10:08:04 am »
At a teen nephew's insistence we rented a film from ITunes last night.

Arachnoquake. Sweet jeebus, it was bad. Like an exercise in how to act badly, use CGI from 1985 (it was only made last year), and write a lousy script! Lots of giant spider about to eat person who is holding a shotgun, so person stands still and stares as spider jumps on them… or big hole in ground where spiders live, so let's go down the hole… or we're safe if we all stick together with guns, so let's all run off in different directions into the spider infested woods...
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.

« Reply #3199 on: 14 April, 2013, 10:14:26 am »
Just now on Film 4, 'The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec'.

More weird French film making...

We've watched a lot of films recommended in this thread, and saw The Extraordinary Adventures last night. Not disappointed, very enjoyable. However, having watched Holy Motors last week, it did prompt the comment "Are all French films completely crazy?"

Still unsure whether to order Quantum Apocalypse, though.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.