Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 955743 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3250 on: 28 April, 2013, 11:22:54 pm »
Iron Man 3

That was dire even by hollywood standdards.

I'm curious, did you like other films in the Avengers franchise?

I saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it, thought it was way better than 2. Possibly because of Shane Black's touch.
It is better than 2.

It is poor compared to 1

Yes I enjoyed the other films in the franchise. I guess the whole 'islamic terrorist threaten  our american way of life' schtick got up my nostrils too much.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuzzy

« Reply #3251 on: 29 April, 2013, 09:57:56 am »
Avengers Assemble. Rather fun and some laugh out loud bits.

Watched it last night on Blu Ray.

None too shabby.

As you say, some laugh ot loud bits.

(click to show/hide)

fuzzy

« Reply #3252 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:13:15 am »
Iron Man 3

That was dire even by hollywood standdards.

I'm curious, did you like other films in the Avengers franchise?

I saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it, thought it was way better than 2. Possibly because of Shane Black's touch.
It is better than 2.

It is poor compared to 1

Yes I enjoyed the other films in the franchise. I guess the whole 'islamic terrorist threaten  our american way of life' schtick got up my nostrils too much.

My take on the franchise so far (not yet seen IM3)

Iron Man- a very enjoyable film with excellent portrayal by Hugh of Tony Stark. Jeff Bridges is very good as Obidiah Stone. Gets the psycho bit off pat.

The Hulk- I had only seen bits of earlier Hulk films so had not really got the back story in full (Holywood version as opposed to the Bill Bixby version). Ed Norton was a good Bruce Banner. Nice use of locations as well.  I also have a bit of a soft spot for Liv Tyler so the film was bound to get a bit of a vote from me.

IM2- good story development but not as good as IM1.

Thor- for my tastes, the best film of the franchise so far. My cup of tea precisely. Angry aliens, Superhero's with god like power, otherworldy locations, Anthony Hopkins, Rene Russo and Natalie Portman.

Captain America- An OK film. Not brilliant but quite watchable. A tad too patriotic but then, what should I expect from a film with this title. The Hydra line had visual similarities to Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow, a film which some slated but I quite enjoyed.

Avengers Assemble- as per my previous post.

« Reply #3253 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:18:24 am »
44 inch chest.

Disappointing. Some excellent dialogue, well acted, but despite being promising a bit of an overall fail. It's like a theatre play, in fact mostly shot in a single location. But if you're going to make a film, then use the medium, otherwise it might as well be a play. In fact, it would have been really good on the radio, but as a film it was a waste of time.

That is almost word-for-word what my Grandad said about Les Mis.

;D

The swear-word count is a bit different though!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #3254 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:48:08 am »
Spoilers abound

(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3255 on: 29 April, 2013, 02:31:34 pm »
Hotel Transylvania. A vampires/humans moral tale for kids. The kids loved it. I didn't.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3256 on: 29 April, 2013, 03:22:49 pm »
Avengers Assemble. Rather fun and some laugh out loud bits.

Watched it last night on Blu Ray.

None too shabby.

As you say, some laugh ot loud bits.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
  ;D ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3257 on: 29 April, 2013, 03:39:21 pm »
Failure to Launch - Romantic comedy with Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew McConaughey

Well it was 2:00 in the morning and I was alone a hotel room with limited TV channels and couldn't sleep. Mildly amusing. Zooey Deschanel as Ms Parker's room mate was good value though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3258 on: 29 April, 2013, 04:53:06 pm »
IM3.

Loud, fast and tasteless.  Better than 2, not as good as 1, for (amongst other) reasons MrC has outlined above in his spoilerified paras.

The end is a bit of a mess.  The post-sig is amusing, but unlike previous ones it doesn't add to the wider Marvel Universe, so it's not a must-see if you need to catch your bus.

Having said that, I kind of enjoyed it. 

(click to show/hide)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

LindaG

« Reply #3259 on: 29 April, 2013, 05:01:55 pm »
Failure to Launch - Romantic comedy with Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew McConaughey

Well it was 2:00 in the morning and I was alone a hotel room with limited TV channels and couldn't sleep. Mildly amusing. Zooey Deschanel as Ms Parker's room mate was good value though.

Not the worst romcom in the world.

ian

« Reply #3260 on: 29 April, 2013, 05:25:05 pm »
I usually cannot remember movies watched in flight. Really, they flit away like dreams for some reason, the moment I get off the plane all memory of what I just watched scatters. However, to thwart the mockery of my wife, I took a note of them this time.

Django Unchained. Seen before, and still 90 minutes too long, and the cartoon gore was a bit unpalatable and tiresome (maybe I'm getting old). Despite being the core character, Django was strangely one-note. Ah, it's OK, but like the last couple of Tarantino films, too much style, too little substance, and a flabby attitude to editing. It's OK to leave something on the cutting room floor. Still better by about five hundred times than Inglourious Basterds and it did fill half a flight, even if there were a few moments spent scanning the Sahara below for camels (none spotted).

Cloud Atlas. Hmm. Rather laboured and pretentious. I've not read the book, but I assume it tried to channel the literary style. Leastways it felt like that. It managed to hang onto my attention, but it was all a bit meh in the end.

Seven Psychopaths. Hmm, not sure there were seven either. Entertaining, if rather obvious and contrived.

Argo. Didn't think I'd like this, but it was actually quite good and rather suspenseful, especially the airport scene, despite the fact that you know the ending. I give it extra points for that. Only slightly spoiled by the elbow of the large person next to me continually changing the volume.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3261 on: 29 April, 2013, 09:52:33 pm »
Beasts of the Southern Wild. 

I thought I'd give it a go
Based on comments below
Turns out it's not my cup of tea
Hey ho,
if you don't see
You don't know.

Adrian Mole age 39 3/4

ian

« Reply #3262 on: 02 May, 2013, 03:26:40 pm »
IM3 (in rather pointless 3D).

Also loved it. I don't do the it-must-be-faithful-to-the-comic (oops graphic novel) thing. The one liners were amusing and there was plenty of reckless boom-bang, all the more impressive for being on an Imax screen.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #3263 on: 04 May, 2013, 12:11:49 pm »

Not the worst romcom in the world.

Remember that old KitKat eadvert from the 80's where the punky band audition for the record company exec and he says "You can't sing, you can't play and you look awful - you'll go a long way"

I think that's what happened with SJP. I just don't get it. My mate thinks she is a goddess.

I think she has a face like a horse and acts like a wooden plank.

Still, as the man said, she's gone a long way.

« Reply #3264 on: 04 May, 2013, 02:00:37 pm »

SJP

Afghan hound
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3265 on: 06 May, 2013, 06:35:46 pm »
Star Trek.

I've been holding off watching it because I find JJ Abram's 'style' to be intensely irritating, and he doesn't disappoint here. A very good movie spoiled by gratuitous 'special' effects ; I now want track Abrams down and hit him repeatedly over the head until he forgets what lens-flare is.

Having recently watched 'Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle', seeing John Cho as Sulu was a bit of a mind-screw ;)

LindaG

« Reply #3266 on: 08 May, 2013, 08:51:52 pm »
Green Zone

Cospiracy theorists wet dream?

Not a bad film TBH. Matt Damon is a reasonable action movie lead.

I thought it was very good.  The first part of the film showed what 'professional soldier' means, which I got a lot out of.  And I think we all know the conspiracy weren't no dream.  I don't like violent films, and this was violent, but none of the violence was gratuitous in the context of the plot.

« Reply #3267 on: 09 May, 2013, 06:46:07 pm »

SJP

Afghan hound

Spot on !

Talk about lookey-likey

I stand corrected. SJP - Face like an Afghan Hound

LindaG

« Reply #3268 on: 10 May, 2013, 01:45:03 pm »
The Accidental Tourist.

Again.

It's a beautiful film, and the longer I live the more this film gives me.

One of many things that I wouldn't have discovered without Crusty.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3269 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:06:12 pm »
Remember Me, with Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the main character in Twilight) and Pearce Brosnan.

Has a sad start
(click to show/hide)
Pen Pusher

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3270 on: 11 May, 2013, 03:18:03 am »
Thor - been making my way through the Avengers franchise from the start again.  Iron Man 2 was a lot better than I remembered and the post credit bit at the end of Thor makes the start of Avengers make a bit more sense (had forgotten it by the time I saw Avengers).

« Reply #3271 on: 12 May, 2013, 03:25:40 pm »
Just watched Traffic.

Highly recommended.

Don't be put off by the fact that it stars Mr & Mrs Zeta Jones.

Dennis Quaid was excellent (as usual).

Top notch !

Chris S

« Reply #3272 on: 12 May, 2013, 06:56:43 pm »
The Silence of the Lambs.

It's a while since I watched it. I forgot what a supremely creepy and Most Excellent performance Anthony Hopkins gives.

Jeez - everyone looks so young!

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #3273 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:46:02 am »
Badlands with Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek*. I love this film, it captures the atmosphere beautifully, and the them tune - Gassenhauer by Carl Orff - is an eternal favourite.

Discovered she is now 63. I. Feel. Old.

ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3274 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:00:28 am »
Napoleon Dynamite.

Deeply, deeply strange film.