Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950207 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3700 on: 04 December, 2013, 08:09:14 am »
To lower the tone, completely (sorry), last night I watched "Iron Man 3".

I liked it, I really liked it. Ben Kingsley is brilliant as the Mandarin, RDjnr is his usual Tony Stark self and you get to see Gyneth Paltrow in her skimpies.  What's not to like? :)

Tonight I am going to watch "Man of Steel" the first Superman movie I have actually, actively, wanted to watch.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3701 on: 04 December, 2013, 02:37:25 pm »

I liked it, I really liked it. Ben Kingsley is brilliant as the Mandarin, RDjnr is his usual Tony Stark self and you get to see Gyneth Paltrow in her skimpies.  What's not to like? :)

Inexplicably set at Christmas.  Implausibly bad planning by Stark (seriously, he let his house get blown up in a missile attack?), and yet again Pepper gets an incredibly raw deal.

But oddly the Iron Man films are the only Marvel franchise that I've actually found in any way compelling.  Maybe that's why Pepper puts up with it all?  :)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3702 on: 04 December, 2013, 03:18:57 pm »

Inexplicably set at Christmas.  Implausibly bad planning by Stark (seriously, he let his house get blown up in a missile attack?), and yet again Pepper gets an incredibly raw deal.

It’s a personal quirk of the director, Shane Black.  Many of the screenplays he wrote and latterly the films he has directed are set at Christmas.  This usually has nothing to do with the plot.

Chris S

« Reply #3703 on: 04 December, 2013, 10:04:42 pm »
Man of Steel.

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3704 on: 04 December, 2013, 11:01:58 pm »
(click to show/hide)

tiermat

« Reply #3705 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:13:28 am »
Last night was a twofer.

First up was "Man of Steel", I disagree with Chris, but then I am useless at remembering who was what in what film, so it made sense to me.

Second up was "The Wolverine". Meh.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3706 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:28:07 am »
Not seen 'the man of steel' but one of the stepkids has and was very very cross about his hair; "He flies through a freaking skyscraper, bits exploding everywhere but his hair isn't even messed up!"

Last film watched here; Now You See Me. Entertaining and fun.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3707 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:32:09 am »
Man of steel got steel plaited hair, in'it?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

tiermat

« Reply #3708 on: 05 December, 2013, 11:32:33 am »
To me, the hair wasn't an issue, really.  There are a few points that don't make sense (and the hair issue is an age old one, I seem to remember similar comments regarding Christopher Reeves' hair), like, during the main fight scene, on SmallVille's high street, the US Army fire a missile at the Kryptons, lead by Zod.  This missile explodes, all the superheroes/villains are still alive AND all the shop windows are intact!

fuzzy

« Reply #3709 on: 05 December, 2013, 11:33:56 am »
Last nights fayre was a PVR playback of The Admirable Crichton.

Predictable but fun late 50's Brit flick.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3710 on: 05 December, 2013, 05:53:37 pm »
The same actors playing different roles. It makes it really really hard to suspend disbelief. And on this one, I failed.

Can I recommend Kind Hearts and Coronets? It's very popular  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #3711 on: 05 December, 2013, 06:02:54 pm »
The same actors playing different roles. It makes it really really hard to suspend disbelief. And on this one, I failed.

Can I recommend Kind Hearts and Coronets? It's very popular  :thumbsup:

Probably - there were just too many actors who I identify with particular roles, all together in one fillum. Kinda spoiled it. That, and I'm old.

« Reply #3712 on: 05 December, 2013, 06:33:21 pm »
Second up was "The Wolverine". Meh.
Even Jack Hughman can't make this shit watchable. And I love big time objectify Jack Hughman.

Chris S

« Reply #3713 on: 05 December, 2013, 08:04:28 pm »
Man of Steel

I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!

(click to show/hide)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3714 on: 05 December, 2013, 08:14:40 pm »
Of Gods And Men is on at 10pm on Channel 5 tonight, marvellous.  I really want to see that.

BBC 4 if you're watching it ;D

It was excellent.  Very human.  Very moving.  An honourable and thoughtful treatment of an interesting series of events.

A group of Catholic brothers living peacefully alongside Muslim Algerian villagers find themselves caught up in a civil war.  An exploration of faith and religion, good and bad.

I saw that at the cinema about 3 years ago.  A very good film.

Bloody Nora!  I've just realised I've actually seen that one!  That hardly _ever_ happens when I read this thread  :o

tiermat

« Reply #3715 on: 06 December, 2013, 08:33:30 am »
Last night's "entertainment" was The Lone Ranger

An even bigger bag'o'shite than The Wolverine, I turned it off after 30 mins...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3716 on: 06 December, 2013, 10:56:24 am »
Couldn't stomach any more of Tony Blair et al being wheeled out to "pay their respects" last night so ended up flicking through the film channels. Caught the end of Elf, which is always heartwarming. Then switched over to Basic Instinct, which I've not seen for a long, long time... Bloody hell, I'd forgotten what a truly terrible film it is. After about 20 minutes, couldn't stomach any more of that either so went to bed.

I enjoyed The Lone Ranger though, tiermat. Very silly - in a good way, mostly.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3717 on: 06 December, 2013, 11:19:02 am »
Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Post apocalyptic dystopia for young people. What's not to like?
Pen Pusher

« Reply #3718 on: 06 December, 2013, 07:12:15 pm »
The ending.  It didn't really.  I suppose they want us to watch the next episode.  Which I shall.
Move Faster and Bake Things

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3719 on: 06 December, 2013, 07:31:51 pm »
The two things I know about Hunger Games:
The next episode will be 2 films (Hobbit styleee). And fans say it's the weakest book.

Calling the current film "... colon catching fire" provides schoolboy sniggers.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3720 on: 07 December, 2013, 09:20:47 pm »
Really? Which fans? I live in a household that listened to the books on audio as a family over several weeks, a chapter at a time. We did not find the 3rd book weak. There are a lot of events to cover, and unlike the bloomin Hobbit, the producers have resisted the temptation to add whole new characters and needless new plotlines.

hillbilly

« Reply #3721 on: 08 December, 2013, 09:12:10 am »
Byzantium

Vampire movie set in Ireland.  Beautifully shot and well acted, but didn't really include anything new or of particular note.  In fact it was riddled with vampiric tropes.  Average.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3722 on: 08 December, 2013, 09:35:25 am »
Basic Instinct is great because it doesn't pretend to be anything other than trashy sexploitation.  Apparently a load of actresses turned it down before Sharon Stone took it, and she did quite well as a result.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3723 on: 08 December, 2013, 09:44:04 am »
Trance

Rather good heist-based story involving the addition of a Harley St hypnotist. Deliberately confusing, never knowing whether the action is in real life, dream or hypnosis until you feel like it's you that's having your mind messed with not just the characters. It still hangs together very well, though.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Ruth

« Reply #3724 on: 08 December, 2013, 04:24:17 pm »
IMAX Hubble 3D

On my super-dooper new massive midlife crisis 3D telly.

Oh my.  It is absolutely stupendous.  There were little astronauts in my telly fixing the Hubble telescope!  And I flew through the Orion Nebula!

Daisyhill was reading on the sofa and looked up at me and laughed at me trying to bat the stars away from my face 'like a kitten in a snowstorm with no snow".

You really did get an idea of what life might have been like in the Space Shuttle.  A wonderful use of the 3D technology.  I'll watch this, again and again.  I'm sure the 3D was better than in 'Gravity'.  If you like space stuff, it's so cool to just watch people living and working in space, and the Hubble footage is wonderful.