Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950333 times)

fuzzy

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4175 on: 03 June, 2014, 07:52:18 am »
Last night I watche 'The Warriors', a 1979 film that I haven't seen for 28- 29 years.

Still as fresh as it was the first time I saw it.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4176 on: 03 June, 2014, 12:01:01 pm »
Last night I watche 'The Warriors', a 1979 film that I haven't seen for 28- 29 years.

"Warriors, come out and play-ay!"

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4177 on: 03 June, 2014, 12:02:37 pm »
I also saw Edge of Tomorrow at the weekend and thought it was great fun.

I would recommend not seeing the trailer if you haven’t already as it is quite spoilery, I’ll try to be less spoilery if I can).

It’s been called ‘Starship Troopers meets Groundhog Day’ and if you see the film you’ll understand why.  Pleasantly splodey without being dumb or dull, it manages to be relatively inventive despite being necessarily repetitive due to the story, reminiscent of ‘Source Code’.  Emily Blunt has a better role than the one she had in ‘Oblivion’ although I would have liked a bit more about her back story.

There is a very handwavy bit part way through where the premise of the film is explained as quickly as they can get away with it, in a ‘sounds good if you say it fast’ kind of way but go along with it as the film carries on being fun for the most part. Towards the end it does kind of feel a bit like computer game ending but it just about works – good overall and great fun on a big screen – good to see decent power armour for a change (it also has Bill Paxton in shouty sergeant mode).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4178 on: 03 June, 2014, 12:42:38 pm »

"Warriors, come out and play-ay!"

I do like that film.
Getting there...

« Reply #4179 on: 03 June, 2014, 01:29:52 pm »
"Why d'you do it, why d'you waste Cyrus?"
"No reason, I just like doing things like that"

One of the few films I went back to the cinema to watch again.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4180 on: 03 June, 2014, 05:05:22 pm »
I also saw Edge of Tomorrow at the weekend and thought it was great fun.

It’s been called ‘Starship Troopers meets Groundhog Day’

I've seen 2 interviews with Tom Cruise about this film and it seems that "his people" must have insisted that "NOBODY FREAKIN' MENTIONS GROUNDHOG DAY..OK?".

So, chat-show host says "it's a story about a man who keeps reliving the same day and uses the situation to improve things for the better" AND NOBODY MENTIONS GROUNDHOG DAY?????  Really?

I expect Tom would point out that there is no Groundhog in the film.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #4181 on: 03 June, 2014, 07:38:18 pm »
The thing is, groundhog day never gives an explanation, Edge of tomorrow at least attempts to.

It's a lot like a computer game, in a good way.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4182 on: 03 June, 2014, 09:01:38 pm »
The thing is, groundhog day never gives an explanation, Edge of tomorrow at least attempts to.

You'd think someone in the film would have mentioned Groundhog Day, it's sure to be a classic film in the future.

Andrew

« Reply #4183 on: 04 June, 2014, 10:05:54 am »
You'd think someone in the film would have mentioned Groundhog Day, it's sure to be a classic film in the future.

It's one of my favourite ever films... but I must admit that it caught me at just the right moment. On subsequent viewings, I've never quite captured that same feeling I had on first seeing it... which I feel is somehow ironic/fitting. I still really enjoy it and the matter of why the time loop occurs has never concerned me.... however, Andie McDowell still falls for Bill Murray after only one night, despite him being someone she has despised for yonks! Ah well, let that one slide eh? ;)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4184 on: 04 June, 2014, 12:17:36 pm »
Rush, last night at home with C Minor. Back in the '70s, I was a proper F1 nerd and James Hunt was my absolute hero. I learned everything I ever knew about drinking, smoking and hard partying from trying to emulate him! The film absolutely encapsulated the man I remember (though I never met him). Nikki Lauda I did meet, though many years later and in a professional capacity. I think he'd mellowed more than somewhat by then.

The film gives a great feel of the excitement of F1 when death was an ever present risk, and it's lovely to see those old cars actually being driven. It's actually quite hard to tell what is old footage, what is CGI and what is recently filmed, though knowledge and logic makes some of it obvious. It was great to see Crystal Palace hosting racing cars again - I was at the very last motor racing meeting (a karting meet) back in 1971, I think.

It's a bloody good film, and brought back many happy memories for me. And it reminded me of the wonderful chemistry Murray Walker and James had in the commentary box some years later. So sad that James died so ignominiously; he deserved a grander fate.

spindrift

« Reply #4185 on: 04 June, 2014, 12:49:05 pm »
Richard Burton met Hunt's wife while skiing, offered Hunt a million pounds for her and he agreed.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4186 on: 04 June, 2014, 02:21:07 pm »

It's one of my favourite ever films... but I must admit that it caught me at just the right moment. On subsequent viewings, I've never quite captured that same feeling I had on first seeing it... which I feel is somehow ironic/fitting. I still really enjoy it and the matter of why the time loop occurs has never concerned me.... however, Andie McDowell still falls for Bill Murray after only one night, despite him being someone she has despised for yonks! Ah well, let that one slide eh? ;)

So Groundhog Day is basically the most detailed documentation to date of a grudge fuck?

I love Groundhog Day as a film but the idea that the ultimate fulfilment that Bill Murray’s character can achieve is a successful date with Andie McDowell is a bit crap.  Bill Murray himself seems to reference this by the hammy way he says “Let’s live here” at the end of the movie.

« Reply #4187 on: 04 June, 2014, 03:09:46 pm »
There's the strange bit in Groundhog day where Murray finds out he can't change fate. The tramp dies no matter what he does,  he only moves on when he has a successful date with Andie McDowell, and he's implemented all the other changes in his life. This differs massively from Edge of Tomorrow, where anyone can die or be saved.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4188 on: 04 June, 2014, 03:17:58 pm »
Edge-of-Tomorrows-Future-Past-Zilla.

Seen in order of release.  They're all kind of good, for summer blockbuster superhero movies. 
Godzilla was better than I expected.  I'm not really a fan of the genre, so I probably didn't get the references and therefore found it 'ok' rather than 'triffic'.  Bryan Cranston clearly needs some meatier chunks of material to gnaw on, because he's good.  I think Pacific Rim v Godzilla is a close-run thing, apart from the fact that both suffer from characterisation that wouldn't task a child. 
X-Men is tired.  It was ok for its type, but I'm bored with them now. 
The Tom/Emily one is actually pretty good.  Switch your brain off and roll along with it.  That's something I have difficulty with these days, requiring somewhat more meat on the bones, but there's just enough bounce to stop me becoming distracted and going "Hang on, what about…?"
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4189 on: 04 June, 2014, 03:50:12 pm »
I love Groundhog Day as a film but the idea that the ultimate fulfilment that Bill Murray’s character can achieve is a successful date with Andie McDowell is a bit crap. 

He's stuck in Punxsutawney and the phone lines are down.  His options are limited.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4190 on: 04 June, 2014, 04:52:27 pm »
I love Groundhog Day as a film but the idea that the ultimate fulfilment that Bill Murray’s character can achieve is a successful date with Andie McDowell is a bit crap. 

He's stuck in Punxsutawney and the phone lines are down.  His options are limited.

An eternity spent sleeping with ‘squirrel noise orgasm’ lady every night seems preferable to a life involved with Andie McDowell’s character.  Also, that snow sculpture he does looks nothing like her.  It’s the Lionel Ritchie bust scandal all over again.

ian

« Reply #4191 on: 05 June, 2014, 11:20:42 am »
Edge of Tomorrow. Rather good. Didn't try to be too clever or serious. Everyone got to shoot aliens. Really, someone needs to do something about aliens, always coming down here and messing things up and causing all kinds of nonsense. Bill Paxton seemed to really enjoy yelling at Tom, and Tom always does a good not-very-good character (as per War of the Worlds). Emily Blunt can come round to my house for tea and scones any time she wants. Well scripted with some quite funny lines (you got a sense everyone enjoyed making it). 3D was, as ever, a bit pointless other than a couple of post-production alien fights and the ubiquitous falling debris in front the camera.

spindrift

« Reply #4192 on: 05 June, 2014, 01:30:32 pm »
Emily Blunt's a mum now, which made me sad because it makes it less likely we'll ever get together.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4193 on: 05 June, 2014, 04:32:31 pm »
Emily Blunt's a mum now, which made me sad because it makes it less likely we'll ever get together.

Is that because Hollywood marriages are known to last forever?  (or because you aren't into MILFs?)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4194 on: 05 June, 2014, 06:11:26 pm »
None of the flaws in Groundhog Day matter ; it has that punch.

(And Bill Murray.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrew

« Reply #4195 on: 06 June, 2014, 03:06:37 pm »
None of the flaws in Groundhog Day matter ; it has that punch.

(And Bill Murray.)

Agreed. One day the world will appreciate the genius of the film!  ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4196 on: 06 June, 2014, 06:24:49 pm »
I rather like Lee's idea of a Tom Cruise SF character mentioning it  :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4197 on: 06 June, 2014, 10:40:10 pm »
well I've seen Noah and Godzilla recently, not sure why but I was surprised that noah was based on "that" noah, not convinced the ark would have floated for very long being that shape?? love the idea of getting all the animals stoned to keep the peace,  still interesting film all the same
and Godzilla, well! exactly what you'd expect, could have been a bit more suspenseful in the beginning but plenty of noise, explosions and a rather pensive looking Japanese scientist who didn't seem to know what was going on, what more do you need You can feel the sound great!!!

Edit, I have had my eye on young Miss Blunt since she appeared in Foyle's War, does this give me first dibs :))

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4198 on: 06 June, 2014, 10:54:49 pm »
None of the flaws in Groundhog Day matters

Agreed. It's one of those films that perhaps isn't top class, but when you come across it, you have to watch it.

Other examples from the top of my head are Home Alone, City Slickers, Midnight Run.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4199 on: 07 June, 2014, 09:39:20 pm »

Anything with Bill Murray in it is automatically better than just about anything else. Trufax.

I watched Iron Sky today.  ;D ;D ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.