Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950474 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5500 on: 07 October, 2015, 01:36:12 pm »
Coherence.  Not bad if you can stand the people and stomach the

(click to show/hide)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5501 on: 07 October, 2015, 02:03:15 pm »
Mad Max Fury Road.  Again.  Disappointed by the lack of commentary tracks.  It does all sound wonderfully ridiculously macho in Spanish though I can reveal. 

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5502 on: 07 October, 2015, 03:22:20 pm »
Just back from watching The Martian.

(click to show/hide)

Whilst Mission Control were laughing about Lord of the Rings characters how come nobody mentioned that Boromir was in the room?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5503 on: 07 October, 2015, 03:45:33 pm »
Just back from watching The Martian.

(click to show/hide)

Whilst Mission Control were laughing about Lord of the Rings characters how come nobody mentioned that Boromir was in the room?

No one likes to mention the Gondorian in the room.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #5504 on: 07 October, 2015, 04:13:42 pm »
You could also tell that the joke was meant to be for those who'd read the book, not just seen the film, as Glorfindel wasn't in the movie.

I laughed.  The rest of the audience was silent.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5505 on: 08 October, 2015, 07:16:14 am »
I've already forgotten most of the book.

« Reply #5506 on: 09 October, 2015, 03:47:43 pm »
Ryuzo and the Seven Henchmen. The adventures of a bunch of old Japanese mobsters, actually pretty funny.

« Reply #5507 on: 09 October, 2015, 09:17:50 pm »
The Martian, yes enjoyed it.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #5508 on: 10 October, 2015, 08:01:32 am »
Thank you.  i was hoping someone might mention whether it was any good. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5509 on: 10 October, 2015, 08:07:15 am »
Thank you.  i was hoping someone might mention whether it was any good.

;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5510 on: 10 October, 2015, 12:24:04 pm »
Love

Thinking of watching this on iPlayer?  DON'T.  I wasted 77 minutes of my time so you don't have to.
Paraphrasing some other reviews, it's a concept stretched into a full-length film that goes nowhere.  Add in plot holes, inconsistencies and bad science.  I would have been better entertained watching golf.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5511 on: 10 October, 2015, 01:26:25 pm »
The missus is watching The Hours downstairs, but I prefer to fall asleep up here.

« Reply #5512 on: 11 October, 2015, 10:13:54 pm »
Sherpa. Documentary, in competition in the London film festival. First attempt to the show the climbing Everest industry from the sherpa point of view.
Powerful and fascinating documentary. Shows the risks the sherpas have to take, just to keep Westerners supplied on their various ascents. Showed the 2014 disaster and subsequent industrial action from the Sherpa point of view and the view from the Westerners.  Needless to say the audience was 100%  behind the sherpas.

« Reply #5513 on: 14 October, 2015, 09:11:34 am »
Suffragette.

It annoyed me. Whilst I am all for equality in democracy, this film ignored much of the history of enfranchisement in Britain in favour of portraying women as the oppressed and men the oppressors. Simples.   The jockey who was toppled by Emily Davison.. what of him?

It should never be forgotten that the right to vote was hard won by BOTH sexes.  It is also a fact that until 1918 a very large proportion of the adult male population did not have the right to vote either.  By which time a lot of them had died in the trenches.

When I did a google search "when were men enfrachised in britain" I got this:

"Showing results for when were women enfranchised in britain
Search instead for when were men enfrachised in britain"

Don't get me wrong, one of my favourite politicians is the 'Red Dutchess'.  Also largely forgotten and very badly treated by the party (Tory) of which she was a member.
When i took the 'search instead' option I got this:

"Did you mean: when were women enfranchised in britain"

« Reply #5514 on: 14 October, 2015, 09:27:58 am »
Mad Max Fury Road.  Again.  Disappointed by the lack of commentary tracks.  It does all sound wonderfully ridiculously macho in Spanish though I can reveal.

I just watched it, and it was quite fun, in an "even more racing around barren wastelands" sort of way.  It does do the driving, racing and crashing very well.

I hadn't got around to looking for a commentary track, although I did watch a couple of the "making of" films, and it's impressive how much of the filming was real, and how little CGI'ed.

Overall it's an enjoyable film, and Charlize Theron doesn't really look very much like herself!  The point where Max walks past the truck to be confronted by six women mostly in skimpy clothes, washing themselves down with water, almost made the film from the perspective of "most unexpected thing for a character to see". :D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5515 on: 14 October, 2015, 09:34:12 am »
Suffragette.

It annoyed me.
Me too.

But for different reasons.

And your comments are part of the reason we need The Womens Equality Party.

Not to put too fine a point on it- not everything is about you, you know.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5516 on: 14 October, 2015, 11:17:39 am »
Suffragette.

It annoyed me. Whilst I am all for equality in democracy, this film ignored much of the history of enfranchisement in Britain in favour of portraying women as the oppressed and men the oppressors. Simples.   The jockey who was toppled by Emily Davison.. what of him?

It should never be forgotten that the right to vote was hard won by BOTH sexes.  It is also a fact that until 1918 a very large proportion of the adult male population did not have the right to vote either.  By which time a lot of them had died in the trenches.

When I did a google search "when were men enfrachised in britain" I got this:

"Showing results for when were women enfranchised in britain
Search instead for when were men enfrachised in britain"

Don't get me wrong, one of my favourite politicians is the 'Red Dutchess'.  Also largely forgotten and very badly treated by the party (Tory) of which she was a member.
When i took the 'search instead' option I got this:

"Did you mean: when were women enfranchised in britain"

Men had the franchise in Britain since the Magna Carta. It started with nobles-only and was only extended to all men regardless of rank or property by the 1867 Reform Act.  It was extended to women over 30 firstly in 1918 and to over-21s in 1928.  A look at Google's ngrams viewer is interesting. A gander at Google Books for the two peaks would probably reveal the reasons for them - I'd guess that the second would be The Female Eunuch.

Anyway, given that it took 650 years for all men to get the franchise, another 60 for all adults is not entirely shameful.  Getting the "property-holder-only" provision removed took 35 years, 1832-1867.

The rising curve for men's suffrage is amusing in that it parallels that for women.  I can imagine it stems from "what about us then?" reactions.

Haven't seen Suffragette, BTW.  I like the depiction in Parade's End, both the books and the film.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5517 on: 14 October, 2015, 12:33:52 pm »
I like the depiction in Parade's End, both the books and the film.

Indeed, although Sylvia is a far stronger character than Valentine - both in the books and the TV series.

asterix, you might want to try different search terms - "male suffrage in britain" will return the results you're looking for, including a nice whiny "but what about the men?" article in the Telegraph that would do a great job of annoying fboab.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5518 on: 14 October, 2015, 01:09:04 pm »
In PE it's not just the female characters who are put across well but the bluster they face from most of the men. OTOH I don't think Sylvia would give a hoot for the vote - she knows how to get anything she'll ever need.

hillbilly

« Reply #5519 on: 14 October, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »
By coincidence.  Mad Max: Fury Road.  All sound and fury, which makes the title rather apt.  Brain off and lagers downed, it's fun but largely forgettable.

I also watched Nightcrawler.  Much more interesting film and fun in a different way.  Jake Gyllenghal (sp?) is great in this and the story is coherent, tense and has a purpose of sorts.  The G-man plays a right bastard who bluffs his way up the greasy pole of a particularly shabby aspect of US TV news journalism.  The ones who turn up as soon as possible at an accident scene to get gruesome footage that the more sensational stations will air.  I thoroughly recommend it, but watched with brain on and appropriately sober.

« Reply #5520 on: 14 October, 2015, 04:47:31 pm »
"but what about the men?" article in the Telegraph
Quote from: Dr. Google
About 463,000 results
:facepalm:

Andrew

« Reply #5521 on: 14 October, 2015, 05:02:59 pm »
I also watched Nightcrawler.  Much more interesting film and fun in a different way. 

It is a good one. Made better for me by having no expectations of what to expect. It doesn't say a great deal new (we know about paparazzi press etc) but it does say it well and, above all else, in an entertaining way.  JG is good too. Quite a talented chap imho.

« Reply #5522 on: 15 October, 2015, 02:19:31 pm »
Suffragette.

It annoyed me.
Me too.

But for different reasons.

And your comments are part of the reason we need The Womens Equality Party.

Not to put too fine a point on it- not everything is about you, you know.

Please explain why you got the impression I think it is about me?  It looks at the moment as a rather lazy put-down.  Give it some substance, if you will.

My thanks to the more constructive posters who did help to educate me.

Incidentally I like to think that the 1918 reform was very largely due to the positive contribution made by women during WW1 and not because one campaigner sacrificed her life under the hooves of the King's horse whilst others vandalised property.

« Reply #5523 on: 15 October, 2015, 02:37:56 pm »
Incidentally I like to think that the 1918 reform was very largely due to the positive contribution made by women during WW1 and not because one campaigner sacrificed her life under the hooves of the King's horse whilst others vandalised property.
Excellent

You've trivialised the work of hundreds. Trivialised force-feeding, beatings, persecution and arrests for carrying a placard on a street.

Well done.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5524 on: 15 October, 2015, 03:30:42 pm »
Please explain why you got the impression I think it is about me?

By bringing "what about the men?" into it, being a man, you made it about you - generically, if not specifically.

To put it simply, it's just inappropriate to discuss the merits of a film about women's struggle for equality in terms of whether or not it addresses men's struggle for equality. If you don't get that, fine, but this isn't the place to discuss it further, so for that reason, ah'm oot.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."