Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950436 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6000 on: 05 February, 2016, 10:11:42 am »
Quote from: fboab
Don't tell anyone but I'm on my way to see Dirty Grandpa
Quote from: No1Daughter
Why? Why would you do that?
I don't know. There's nothing in the house for tea?
You are allowed to just go to the shop
I am? Anyway, there's no Cineworld in Boro. I am reaching the end of my cine-fullness
You should be ashamed

Reader. I am.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6001 on: 05 February, 2016, 01:00:39 pm »
I saw the trailer. I hope De Niro is ashamed too. At least you weren't paid to go.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrew

« Reply #6002 on: 05 February, 2016, 01:15:05 pm »
The Italian Job (2003) - I only watched 30 minutes. It's not a remake, it's an entirely different film but for having the same title and being about a heist with minis.

Probably an average film in fairness but I was tired and couldn't be bothered to stick with it. Points I noted; poor script* and Statham is Statham, decent enough action sequences, opening 15 minutes (the first heist) is engaging.

*Personal bugbear; lines that serve only to tell the audience what is happening. That is, character A tells character B something that B would know but the audience would not.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6003 on: 05 February, 2016, 01:19:01 pm »
They weren't even proper minis.  What's the point in doing a heist with minis that are the same size as normal cars?

Pixels made better use of them.  (Which is probably the only good thing about Pixels.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6004 on: 06 February, 2016, 01:48:32 pm »
Cloud Atlas

Like watching a very pretty puzzle slotting together.  If I watched it again, I'd probably notice the music more (good film scores being doomed to go unnoticed the first time round).

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #6005 on: 06 February, 2016, 08:33:46 pm »
sucker punch

*almost* very good

visuals and sound are lush
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hillbilly

« Reply #6006 on: 06 February, 2016, 09:57:00 pm »
Zoolander 2

Shouldn't have been made. Very few guffaws.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6007 on: 06 February, 2016, 11:35:52 pm »
Dad's Army

Was quite short but could have been shorter. Always felt that the characters weren't quite up to the TV ones, but it was made up for by the female members of the cast. Worth seeing, but not by much.

Well worth going to and seeing that almost all the audience were older than me. No mobile phone abuse and only two wrapper fiends.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6008 on: 06 February, 2016, 11:52:39 pm »
Well worth going to and seeing that almost all the audience were older than me. No mobile phone abuse and only two wrapper fiends.

Hearing aid feedback then?   ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6009 on: 06 February, 2016, 11:58:52 pm »
 ;D took a long time to empty the cinema too. Although that did mean we saw the bloopers at the end of the titles.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6010 on: 07 February, 2016, 09:27:25 am »
Paris Trout.  Nasty story, good film, ending slightly shaky but after all that went before you could believe anything by then.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6011 on: 07 February, 2016, 10:09:49 am »
Dad's Army

Was quite short but could have been shorter. Always felt that the characters weren't quite up to the TV ones, but it was made up for by the female members of the cast. Worth seeing, but not by much.

*cough* *splutter*

"female members of the cast"?!?

No respect for times gone by ... *shakes head* ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6012 on: 07 February, 2016, 11:25:37 am »
The Italian Job (2003) - I only watched 30 minutes. It's not a remake, it's an entirely different film but for having the same title and being about a heist with minis. ....

The choice of title was considered rather odd at the time.  Most of the USA haven't heard of the original film, so there was little advantage to using that title in their market.  In the UK, reusing the title was generally seen as heresy, so it actually had the risk of making the film less commercially successful.  There was no sensible reason to use the title!

As I recall, it wasn't a bad film, a reasonably good fun robbery film.  Clearly not the cult film that the original Italian Job became, but who can ever predict what film is going to meet that criterion.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6013 on: 07 February, 2016, 01:02:00 pm »
The Lobster.

Went to the cute little David Lean cinema in Croydon which does odd showings of random films. Very good satire on the way that society treats single people and couples but my god it has some 'challenging' scenes in it  :-X

Different to anything I've seen before. And they made Colin Farrell look damn unattractive.

« Reply #6014 on: 07 February, 2016, 01:29:47 pm »
We went to see that too, though at the PictureHouse in Greenwich. Utterly bizarre and quite challenging in some ways, not so much the scenes necessarily as some of the concepts - and odd for us as we spent a week at the hotel after our wedding ... (Service is a little different in real life, fortunately.)

hillbilly

« Reply #6015 on: 07 February, 2016, 07:25:32 pm »
Jurassic World

An enjoyable way to spend two hours, delivering pretty much what you expect from an action film that was spliced from the DNA of Jurassic Park, but with the technology to deliver a level above that 23 year old dinosaur.  I would have liked to have seen it in 3D at the cinema, because I bet it would have been jaw dropping in places.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6016 on: 07 February, 2016, 08:13:50 pm »
Room.

Good adaptation of the book and the wee boy was great.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6017 on: 07 February, 2016, 08:24:28 pm »
On Yer Bike - Obree
The Final Hour - Boardman
Jacques Anquetil: The Man, The Mystery, The Legend

I think the Boardman one was the best. Obree's one showed his UCI travails pretty well though. Anquetil's one was quite sanitised.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6018 on: 07 February, 2016, 09:12:46 pm »
Hateful Eight. Will be a while before I figure out if I like it.

Interestingly I read that the guitar Kurt Russell destroyed was a priceless antique, but they forgot to tell him  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6019 on: 08 February, 2016, 04:05:51 pm »
Jurassic World

An enjoyable way to spend two hours, delivering pretty much what you expect from an action film that was spliced from the DNA of Jurassic Park, but with the technology to deliver a level above that 23 year old dinosaur.  I would have liked to have seen it in 3D at the cinema, because I bet it would have been jaw dropping in places.

Given a sample, they might be able to rebuild Richard Attenborough.

------o0o------

The Conformist - Bertolucci, 1970.  Jean-Louis Trintignan as a Fascist hit-man in 1930s Italy. Enjoyed it in a nasty sort of way.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6020 on: 08 February, 2016, 04:46:39 pm »
Over the weekend:

The Hobbit - its really quite dire

Dads Army - Not bad,quite inoffensive,  some local interest a a lot of it was filmed close by. Felt  not as good as it should  have been though.

Spectre - Quite enjoyed this, wish they'd stop with the female character who jumps into bed with Bond immediately upon meeting him. its old and actually takes away from the film.

« Reply #6021 on: 08 February, 2016, 06:22:12 pm »
UK premiere of "The Cowrads Who Looked to the Sky", a Japanese film directed by Yuki Tanada (female), and who introduced it at the ICA cinema.

First scene is two cosplay characters bonking,  but the film goes on to illustrate how hard life is for people at the bottom of the pile in Japan.

Film now touring Britain in The Japan Foundation Film Programme 2016, see http://www.jpf.org.uk/whatson.php#827

« Reply #6022 on: 10 February, 2016, 10:17:08 pm »
Deadpool. It's quite good, wouldn't say it's a must see, but it features the best Stan Lee cameo to date.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6023 on: 10 February, 2016, 11:00:51 pm »
Deadpool. It's quite good, wouldn't say it's a must see, but it features the best Stan Lee cameo to date.

That's quite a claim: after his scene as a librarian in the Amazing Spider Man.

I found a roundup of The Man's cameos .

I'm looking forward to seeing Deadpool.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Andrew

« Reply #6024 on: 11 February, 2016, 10:43:17 am »
I have to say that The Lobster didn't work for me. As a rule I like weird but this felt padded out. Interesting social commentary (single people are social outcasts, partners seemingly needing shared traits/interests) and some good chuckles along the way but I found it a bit dull in truth. The nub of a good idea stretched thin beyond its substance.