Linked Events

• YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne: 06 September, 2019 - 08 September, 2019

Author Topic: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 6-8th September 2019  (Read 13243 times)

Re: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 6-8th September 2019
« Reply #50 on: 05 September, 2019, 10:27:51 am »
Note to campers.  It is distinctly autumnal.  I’m regretting not bringing my warmer sleeping bag & the down jacket for mornings & evenings.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 05 September, 2019, 10:29:07 am »
Well that's okay, I packed my down jacket last night. But I'm supposed to have left about 2 hours ago.  :facepalm:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #52 on: 05 September, 2019, 08:09:41 pm »
We have had several rooms decorated since I last did any camping in April 2018. My camping gear has been scattered to the 4 winds.

At present I am devoid of my MSR pans and the rather nice little Alpkit stove I bought to heat them. The only place I can think of to find them is underneath an enormous teetering pile of large plastic boxes full of crap the fruit of my dear wife's crochet hook.

If push comes to shove, may I scrounge hot water for beverages please?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #53 on: 05 September, 2019, 08:15:27 pm »
And I've booked!

« Reply #54 on: 05 September, 2019, 08:28:31 pm »
We have had several rooms decorated since I last did any camping in April 2018. My camping gear has been scattered to the 4 winds.

At present I am devoid of my MSR pans and the rather nice little Alpkit stove I bought to heat them. The only place I can think of to find them is underneath an enormous teetering pile of large plastic boxes full of crap the fruit of my dear wife's crochet hook.

If push comes to shove, may I scrounge hot water for beverages please?

I will have with me a small spare stove but let me know if you need a kettle or pan and I can bring one.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #55 on: 05 September, 2019, 09:21:08 pm »
Found them thanks. Think I will be reasonably well equipped by morning. May be up late though...

« Reply #56 on: 05 September, 2019, 10:25:16 pm »
I should hopefully be arriving at the station for 15:00 & will trundle to the campsite from there.   If anyone coming by car could stick a spare folding chair in their luggage it would save me having to look up to you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 06 September, 2019, 12:08:53 am »
Okay, I make that a count of 8.  I'll ping an email off to the campsite and let them know.

I'll be coming down tomorrow (today?  Friday.) afternoon.  Not decided if I'm riding the whole way or train-assisted (achilles has been playing up since last week's FNRttC[1]), but I expect it'll take me a couple of hours either way.

The weather's looking promising, in a September kind of way:  Not especially warm, but reasonably dry and a lot less windy than the forecast was suggesting earlier in the week.

[1] It was fine for the duration of the ride, then the pain set in as soon as I got off the train at Mordor Central on the way home.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #58 on: 06 September, 2019, 09:34:08 am »
With the help of my dear wife, holding wielding a pen and a checklist as I ran around the ouse gathering stuff together, I now probably have more stuff than I really need, save a silk/cotton line for the sleeping bag. Is there a camping shop in Leamington Spa, I wonder?

« Reply #59 on: 06 September, 2019, 09:40:19 am »
I’m currently at Wern Isaf farm, which is a beautifully located site with decent facilities. They charged me £10.   Very close to Llangollen with pubs & restaurants, a few miles to Ruabon station with links to Mordor. Oodles of lovely riding in the area, a canal & steam railway as well.

http://www.wernisaf.co.uk/

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=3867

https://twitter.com/andrewxclark/status/1169892700008534016?s=21

Main problem I can see is that to get to the site from Llangollen you have to go up an insanely steep hill . I’d think that if we were visiting the local fleshpots some of our regular campers would need a lift back.

The camping field is a bit slopey as well, but lovely views.

« Reply #60 on: 06 September, 2019, 09:42:13 am »
I booked yeterday putting YACF in the notes. Sadly arriving by car as don't have enough time to spare to ride, off to Italy next Tuesday and still need to pack!
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #61 on: 06 September, 2019, 09:43:28 am »
With the help of my dear wife, holding wielding a pan and a checklist as i ran around the ouse gathering stuff together, I now probably have more stuff than I really need, save a silk/cotton line for the sleeping bag. Is there a camping shop in Leamington Spa, I wonder?

I'm sure I've got a spare large liner somewhere...
Reine de la Fauche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #62 on: 06 September, 2019, 10:15:00 am »
With the help of my dear wife, holding wielding a pan and a checklist as i ran around the ouse gathering stuff together, I now probably have more stuff than I really need, save a silk/cotton line for the sleeping bag. Is there a camping shop in Leamington Spa, I wonder?

QE2 perhaps? ;)

Yes please!

PS There is what appears to be a very good outdoor shop in Leamington -Lockwoods. They are agents for Altberg which is a good sign. Quite tempted to potter down there anyway.

« Reply #63 on: 06 September, 2019, 10:17:24 am »

QE2 perhaps? ;)

Queen Mary, should be big enough!
Packed!
Julia

Yes please!
Reine de la Fauche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #64 on: 06 September, 2019, 10:20:05 am »
Thank you!

I am now on an earlier train than I really need, but that will give me time for a nice cuppa at Marylebone. I quite like Marylebone station. It isn’t too big or busy and has a goodly number of places to sit and consume refreshments whilst people watching and waiting for the train.

« Reply #65 on: 06 September, 2019, 11:31:29 am »
Have fun all. Unfortunately, we won't make it now :'( , due to health and money issues and also my niece and her girlfriend are visiting next week and so I need to have a rummage under the boxes and tents to see if I can find the living room and kitchen.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #66 on: 06 September, 2019, 12:07:03 pm »
That's a shame.  Maybe you could just swap houses with Wowbagger, where the camping kit's at the bottom of the pile?

« Reply #67 on: 06 September, 2019, 01:34:29 pm »
FFS! I’m stuck in the lift at Smethwick Galton Bridge.  Not moving, doors won’t open & it’s coffin size so I’m balancing the bike on it’s rear wheel!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 06 September, 2019, 01:41:36 pm »
FFS! I’m stuck in the lift at Smethwick Galton Bridge.  Not moving, doors won’t open & it’s coffin size so I’m balancing the bike on it’s rear wheel!

Ugh!

That happened to me at Lpoo St a few weeks ago, causing me to miss my connection.

Try some precision thumping at the top of the door.  Might persuade a stuck microswitch into clicking.  Is the lift alarm doing anything useful?

I've mostly finished packing, currently waiting for a band of Weather to pass before setting off.

« Reply #69 on: 06 September, 2019, 01:50:50 pm »
Rescued with the aid of a burly chap who held the doors apart while I got the bike out.  I then had to carry the beast up the stairs to platform 2 where my train was just pulling in.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #70 on: 06 September, 2019, 02:32:05 pm »
.... just seen a flowing white beard and floppy hat cycle past the bike shop I manage in downtown Wellesbourne!  Looks like it can only be one person.

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 06 September, 2019, 02:35:20 pm »
Just had a call from cycleman, who is currently negotiating the Oxford bypass.  I expect he'll arrive later the evening.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #72 on: 06 September, 2019, 02:57:03 pm »
.... just seen a flowing white beard and floppy hat cycle past the bike shop I manage in downtown Wellesbourne!  Looks like it can only be one person.

Rob

Had I arrived 5 minutes later I would have dropped in. Would have avoided that nasty drenching squall. Now consuming coffee and cake st the airfield.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #73 on: 06 September, 2019, 02:59:48 pm »
Looks like the weather missed Birmingham.  I'm setting off now.

Phil W

« Reply #74 on: 06 September, 2019, 08:14:48 pm »

Rob

Gandalf?