Author Topic: BB/Chainset Choices  (Read 4386 times)

rob

BB/Chainset Choices
« on: 31 March, 2017, 01:11:37 pm »
Sugino BB on the Dolan FXE gave up on the way home on Tuesday amid lots of crunching and grinding.

Bike needs a new headset as well so it's off to the shop.   My Sugino cranks/BB on the Condor have held up nicely and I have had numerous Stronglight Track 2000 chainsets (Still £60 at planet X).

I'm tempted to try something different, maybe with an external BB line the new Miche Pistard or the SRAM Omnium.   Does anyone have any experience of these or can suggest anything different ?    Dura Ace and Campag Pista a little toppy for my budget.

Thanks

Rob

Re: BB/Chainset Choices
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2017, 02:30:20 pm »
I can see you posted this some time ago so maybe these issues are resolved. I'm the fg rider from Edinburgh that shared a bit of the road with you heading west after Loudeac, I think it was, at PBP. I run SRAM Omnium and in my very limited experience have found it to be great. Very hard wearing chainset. Been through a few chains and sprockets but the chainring is showing little effect. The external BBs, however, are an issue. As this set up is designed for the track, water and dirt soon work their way in. After having replaced the BB the third time in what felt like no time at all (they are about £25 a pop), I decided to upgrade to a CK BB. This needs a shim, which CK make and isnt't cheap but I'm hoping this pricey change will eventually pay for itself.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2017, 04:31:58 pm »
adding some extra grease into the bearings and under the outer sealing rings helps to prevent water ingress. also, the bottom brackets with the rounded edges (i.e. the newer ones) last longer.

Donkey

• "Are we there yet?"
« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2017, 05:46:17 pm »
+1 SRAM
Been using SRAM Omnium on my Condor Tempo for last 7 years and I'm very happy with it. It fact only this week I was at the Condor shop picking up two new frames (only one for me!) and bought two Omnium chainsets as well @£169 each. Expensive but worth it I think.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2017, 08:41:24 pm »
What chainline are you running?  It's very hard to change the chainline at the rear.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Donkey

• "Are we there yet?"
« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2017, 08:26:50 pm »
I am running standard 120mm rear wheel with 43mm chainline at crank (so 17mm on rear wheel).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2017, 10:05:30 pm »
OK, that's a bit narrow compared to "road double standard" (midpoint between rings is normally 43.5mm on the correct BB, so an outer ring, or a single ring on the outside of a road spider, is at about 46-47mm). 

Is it a "real" track hub at the rear?  They usually have a chainline of about 42mm (chainline is always measured from the centreline of the bike) although roadified track hubs like Goldtec are closer to the "road double outer" chainline.

Anyway, the point is that a standard road crank on its recommended BB will not line up properly with your rear sprocket, but a track crank on a track BB *should* - the 42mm standard is not a universal one.   I would check your chainline is correct at the moment; a 600mm steel rule - use the edge, not the flat!) is the best way.  Some off-the-peg track bikes have shocking chainline and cover it up by using a bushingless chain.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2017, 11:24:14 pm »
on my ss bike with the road chainset and chainring on the outside it measured 46mm, so i've put a 3mm spacer on the hub threads which gave a 45mm on the rear and works perfectly.
i suppose it could be done with the fixed cog too, if it is installed onto a freewheel side of a flip-flop hub sans lockring.

rob

« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:03:20 am »
Thanks, everyone and hello again Pichy.

I haven't progressed this at all to be honest - training and racing have got in the way of maintenance.   The Dolan is hung up in the garage and needs a new headset/bb/bar tape, etc after a hard Winter.   I brought the Condor out of retirement for day-to-day work but it's all looking a bit tired.   All of the bikes have track rear spacing and a 42mm chainline.

I may put a SRAM Omnium on the Dolan and test its durability.   The TT bike will also need an upgrade so if it works on the commuter I can make the same upgrade here also.   On top of this the Condor is due a respray.    This Autumn/Winter is going to be a bit expensive. 

rob

« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2017, 04:17:01 pm »
Turned out the LBS had an Omnium C/set knocking around that had been ordered for someone else.   It's going on the Dolan this week so I'll subject it to a Winter of commuting and weekend riding to test the durability.

I do like the look of the Miche Pistard Air for the TT bike.