Author Topic: London-Wales-London  (Read 67605 times)

Re: London-Wales-London
« Reply #350 on: 12 March, 2019, 11:25:51 am »

Greggs' receipts don't always name the town where issued (shocking I know).

This is truly terrible news

They did last year, but even if not, I’m more than happy to get in the queue in the name of research.

I'm pretty sure they didn't... I spent most of the night looking at identical receipts. It's amazing how similar Audaxers' diets are ...

However, I wonder if a photo taken standing outside Gregs with a Cheese and Onion pasty and a pink donut count as Proof of passage...

« Reply #351 on: 12 March, 2019, 06:15:46 pm »
You can still do some of the A4.
Lambourn to Newbury, A4 to Reading, Play Hatch then Henley.
Slightly longer but much flatter.

I really never found it that hilly at all on return leg ... once climbed Symonds Yat the rest is really fine
It wasn't the climbing that put me off but fast descending in the dark on twisty wet roads likely to have potholes.

Well last year was the best weather possible and found the road surfaces more than manageable

« Reply #352 on: 12 March, 2019, 08:43:27 pm »
One advantage of the A4 option is more choices of 24hr garages/McDs.
For example;

329km Shell garage is 24hr
350km (Theale) there  is a 24hr McDs.
384km BP just on the way out of Marlow  is 24hr

S2L

« Reply #353 on: 13 March, 2019, 09:23:15 am »

I'm pretty sure they didn't... I spent most of the night looking at identical receipts. It's amazing how similar Audaxers' diets are ...

However, I wonder if a photo taken standing outside Gregs with a Cheese and Onion pasty and a pink donut count as Proof of passage...

As far BRM ratification goes... the control in Tewkesbury is almost immaterial. From googlemaps:

Woodstock to Chepstow avoiding Tewkesbury is 77 miles

Woodstock to Chepstow via Tewkesbury shortest route is 78 miles

If you add the fact that there is an info control between Tewkesbury and Chepstow, it's almost impossible to save meaningful mileage by avoiding Tewkesbury

« Reply #354 on: 24 April, 2019, 05:22:33 am »
Entrants should have had an email from me last night. If you think you should have got one, and after checking spam, you haven't had anything please email me (DM on here or through other routes probably won't get a response).

There are a few things that riders will need to keep an eye on such as new locations for Chepstow and Lambourn controls and a potential niggle at Badminton. The written instructions explain it all but they need to be read to work!

Liam

« Reply #355 on: 24 April, 2019, 11:08:26 am »

I really never found it that hilly at all on return leg ... once climbed Symonds Yat the rest is really fine

So was the 16% climb up to the Cotswold Monument considered flat then?  :o

« Reply #356 on: 24 April, 2019, 05:16:44 pm »

So was the 16% climb up to the Cotswold Monument considered flat then?  :o

From memory nope never found it that bad and GL to everyone doing it this weekend a wonderful ride

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #357 on: 24 April, 2019, 10:07:52 pm »
One advantage of the A4 option is more choices of 24hr garages/McDs.
For example;

329km Shell garage is 24hr
350km (Theale) there  is a 24hr McDs.
384km BP just on the way out of Marlow  is 24hr

Marlow is not on the A4 route. I think it is on the official route. there are several petrol stations between Reading and Maidenhead, not sure how many are 24 hours. but with having to visit Henley extensive use of the A4 is not optimal

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #358 on: 25 April, 2019, 11:57:45 am »
My A4 option drops down from Great Shefford onto the A4 for 25km, by passes Reading through the bottom of Cavendish and then Play Hatch into Henley.
Less scenic than the official route but easier to navigate at night with the attraction of 24hr garages and a 24 hr McDs at Theale. 
I have used both on previous version of LWL.

« Reply #359 on: 26 April, 2019, 09:56:13 pm »
Anyone riding out of London to the start? Probably ride via Harrow road.

« Reply #360 on: 01 May, 2019, 09:03:33 am »
I've read both the routesheet and the notes, but I'm still not sure what route we should be following if we discover that the road is closed at km253.5 (for the Badminton Horse Trials). 

The notes say "Return to X-roads at Km 252.4 and take Rt SP Badminton and follow roads through the grounds to rejoin route at Km 254.3".

I'm having trouble working out which way I should go. After returning to the cross-roads at Km 252.4 the signpost to Badminton would be left, not right. LiamFitz is it possible to provide a bit more detail?

« Reply #361 on: 01 May, 2019, 09:14:25 am »
I've read both the routesheet and the notes, but I'm still not sure what route we should be following if we discover that the road is closed at km253.5 (for the Badminton Horse Trials). 

The notes say "Return to X-roads at Km 252.4 and take Rt SP Badminton and follow roads through the grounds to rejoin route at Km 254.3".

I'm having trouble working out which way I should go. After returning to the cross-roads at Km 252.4 the signpost to Badminton would be left, not right. LiamFitz is it possible to provide a bit more detail?

It's your shout how you navigate it and there are a variety of options you can follow - best check the map for the one that best suits you if you decide you do not want to ride against the flow of traffic for 600 m on the temporary one way working that may or may not be in force .

I think roads are marked on this map https://www.google.com/maps/place/Badminton/@51.5636777,-2.2983571,12.95z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487172e42d8c2eaf:0xabd0a975ba4600c6!8m2!3d51.5400563!4d-2.2891998

« Reply #362 on: 01 May, 2019, 09:38:37 am »

It's your shout how you navigate it and there are a variety of options you can follow - best check the map for the one that best suits you if you decide you do not want to ride against the flow of traffic for 600 m on the temporary one way working that may or may not be in force .

I think roads are marked on this map https://www.google.com/maps/place/Badminton/@51.5636777,-2.2983571,12.95z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487172e42d8c2eaf:0xabd0a975ba4600c6!8m2!3d51.5400563!4d-2.2891998

I've already examined various maps of course (including OS) and there are several possible alternatives, but some of them are likely to be closed for the same reason. I was wondering whether you knew of a particular route that you knew would work. If you don't I'm sure I will manage.

I looked online for more information. All I could find is this, which simply states that after 2pm "most of the approach roads" to the event are one-way outbound.
https://d24vhgczuo2t5j.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Taxi-details-and-Map-2019.pdf

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #363 on: 01 May, 2019, 09:49:07 am »

I've already examined various maps of course (including OS) and there are several possible alternatives, but some of them are likely to be closed for the same reason. I was wondering whether you knew of a particular route that you knew would work. If you don't I'm sure I will manage.

I looked online for more information. All I could find is this, which simply states that after 2pm "most of the approach roads" to the event are one-way outbound.
https://d24vhgczuo2t5j.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Taxi-details-and-Map-2019.pdf

Nigeld, I asked the same question and got an equally vague answer.  I think reading between the lines is to ignore any diversion signs.  Does anyone know between what times the closures are likely to be in force.

« Reply #364 on: 01 May, 2019, 10:08:49 am »
Last year we just carried on the route provided and no one stopped us !

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #365 on: 01 May, 2019, 11:19:13 am »

Nigeld, I asked the same question and got an equally vague answer.  I think reading between the lines is to ignore any diversion signs.  Does anyone know between what times the closures are likely to be in force.

Agreed.

« Reply #366 on: 01 May, 2019, 11:49:36 am »
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like sticking to the original route is probably the best option, taking appropriate care, of course. I realise the organisers can't advocate ignoring road signs and I wouldn't want them to.

The link I gave earlier (which was official, but aimed at taxi drivers only) stated that the "one-way outbound" measures would be applied after 2pm. Since this is at 250km I will definitely be reaching there after that time!

« Reply #367 on: 01 May, 2019, 03:13:50 pm »
I realise the organisers can't advocate ignoring road signs and I wouldn't want them to.

I couldn't possibly comment.

I spoke to the site manager at Badminton a few weeks aback and was told that the traffic order begins at 2 but that few people would be leaving the site much before 5 . The experience of riders from previous years is instructive and might be learnt from.

« Reply #368 on: 01 May, 2019, 03:22:22 pm »
I don't think I knew about the horse trials until after I'd finished last year and I don't recall noticing any road-closure signs (which isn't to say there weren't any). I did wonder why I was cycling against the 'flow' of near-standstill Range Rovers along one particular stretch of road, but it barely impeded my progress.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #369 on: 01 May, 2019, 05:44:15 pm »
Looking forward to seeing you all looking at your best.

Volunteered for tea and toastie making overnight at the arrivee.

Hope the weather behaves.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #370 on: 01 May, 2019, 07:35:40 pm »
I'm pretty sure they will look a lot better at our control!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #371 on: 01 May, 2019, 08:33:57 pm »
I'm pretty sure they will look a lot better at our control!

So I guess I'll see the mid-state at Lambourn control!

« Reply #372 on: 01 May, 2019, 08:41:05 pm »
I don't think I knew about the horse trials until after I'd finished last year and I don't recall noticing any road-closure signs (which isn't to say there weren't any). I did wonder why I was cycling against the 'flow' of near-standstill Range Rovers along one particular stretch of road, but it barely impeded my progress.

Was riding that section with a group and thought ey up posh cars a plenty but then saw horse boxes and became obvious what it was

« Reply #373 on: 02 May, 2019, 11:30:37 am »
Anyone riding out of London to the start? Probably ride via Harrow road.

Manage to grab a room Friday night so scratch the riding to the start.

« Reply #374 on: 03 May, 2019, 11:22:32 am »
quite excited and scared about this. have never done a 400 - have a 600 and some 300s under by belt, but this seems another beast. going straight from work to beaconsfield travelodge later, really hope i've not forgotten anything!

:o :o :o