Author Topic: Garmin 530/830 charging on the bike  (Read 3528 times)

Garmin 530/830 charging on the bike
« on: 09 October, 2019, 03:31:31 pm »
Thinking of replacing an old Garmin 810, with something newer.
Has been ok, but it's main purpose is following a .gpx on long audax rides or for extended touring. So I like a charging solution from SON dynamos. I use either Igaro or B&M light with USB port and charge during the day. BUT my 810 senses loss of USB power (when climbing) and turns itself off. Garmin always refused to remedy this - so instead I charge a cache battery and use that to power my Garmin.

Does anyone else use 530/830 in the same way , and do they still turn off if the external power is lost, because its really annoying?
Has someone found a better setup for Garmin plus dynamo?

Barry

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Garmin 530/830 charging on the bike
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2019, 04:27:24 pm »
Has someone found a better setup for Garmin plus dynamo?

AA-powered Garmin (eTrex or relatives) and not have to worry about it.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2019, 09:26:57 pm »
Or the Garmin Charge power pack looks like a much better solution than USB cables. https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/571552
That plus the internal battery should be enough for most audaxes.

For longer tours, could put the battery pack in a bar bag while recharging it. Would help keep the USB connections away from water anyway.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2019, 12:33:09 pm »
That Garmin Charge power pack is bloody expensive compared to "regular" USB packs. But you don't have to worry anymore about water ingress around the USB port of the 530/830 nor worry about the vibrations on the USB cable ruining that USB port and thus turning your expensive GPS into a paperweight (this killed my 820 midway the Rando Imperator >:()

Best thing: after riding 80 hours (PBP) the power pack was empty and the 830 still had 80% charge left. I've setup the 830 to switch off the backlight after 30s, am recording at 1s interval with a full set of sensors (speed, cadence, power, Di2 and HR). The only annoyance of the power pack is that when it's (nearly) empty it will flash a blue LED, without a way to turn that of (that I know of); of course, this is easily remedied by either removing the pack, or a piece of duct tape.

« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2019, 01:14:17 pm »
I use a cheap USB mobile phone charging battery that about the size of a matchbox. That sits in a top tube bag and is connected to the Garmin and the dynamo powered USB output on the bike. The Garmin gets steady power so never switches off whilst the battery gets intermittently charged without complaint. I found this very useful on an overnight ride where I wanted to keep the Garmin’s backlight on all the time. After 12 hours, the Garmin was 100% charged and the battery about 75%.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2019, 09:22:27 pm »
Yoav,
What is the battery you use for this, make/model/photo if you know it?

I have tried to use a pass through battery with the 810 and it still sees the loss of dynamo output as signal to turn off. could be the battery I use or the stupid Garmin software or both

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:47:44 pm »
If the battery life is anything like they say it is, and if the battery capacity and charge rate aren't dissimilar to the Wahoo Elemnt, you should be able to just charge it up during your lunch break and won't need to charge it on the go.

« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2019, 07:42:47 pm »
Yoav,
What is the battery you use for this, make/model/photo if you know it?

I have tried to use a pass through battery with the 810 and it still sees the loss of dynamo output as signal to turn off. could be the battery I use or the stupid Garmin software or both

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was on holiday and have just seen this:
The battery I use is juice squash XL power bank.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo