Author Topic: HBKH Hamburg Berlin Köln Hamburg (14/08/10 to 19/08/10)  (Read 108990 times)

Bairn Again

Re: HBKH Hamburg Berlin Köln Hamburg (14/08/10 to 19/08/10)
« Reply #350 on: 23 August, 2010, 02:55:57 pm »
Yes great write up & pics Iddu.

The event was sooo wet = torrential rain each day and it was cold too.  Anyhow, organisation scores a 10/10 from me, from the pre event admin from Sabine to the "night afore" pasta party to the route/routesheet and support on the event itself.  Witness Pingu being looked after so well after his unfortunate fall, it was top class.  The event had the feel of a very socialble club ride and there was a sense of togetherness between participants and helpers.   

My ride? Well I clearly pushed too hard on Saturday (10 hrs to the Nauen control at 272k = stupid boy) and my right knee started complaining not long after.  Strong painkillers partially helped but by the time myself and maverick rolled into messinghausen at midnight Sunday my knee was very sore and honking was out the question.  A side effect of the painkillers was a queasy feeling and I noticed I wanst shoveeling in the grub in the way that would normally do and I was feeling a bit iffy generally as a result. 

On Monday I set off very slowly into the cold and rain and watched valkyrie, maverick and co.  head off into the distance.  After 30k or so I tried honking up a very steep section and while I got to the top, the pain was enough to convince me that it was proably wise to go back, especially as it wasnt quite half way overall yet.  Ive had problems with this knee in a previous life in another sport when overdoing it put me out of action for months, so I bailed out.   

A rest day on Monday was beneficial and myself, eck and bodach rode 2 easy 200k's Tue/Wed back to Hamburg.  Valkyrie and maverick caught up with us by Weds early morning at Lindern and we rode pretty much together to the finish. 

Twas enjoyable despite the weather and not finishing the full 1527k.  I'd contemplate going back and having another go but would definitely try A N Other event of this distance before then, probably LEL which before now hasnt interested me at all.         

Trying to read a wet routesheet in the middle of the night has convinced me of the merits of a GPS, I really noticed a difference when riding with maverick or valkyrie with their gadgets, so that'll be on my christmas list. 

Well done to all the finishers, especially our own maverick, valyrie and of course the legend george.

An unexpected positive for me was the performance of my new bibshorts (assos mille).  After 1200k in the same pair (I know, thats minging) I had absolutely no discomfort in the saddle area at all and I know now that they are good for PBP next year.  I had the option of clean shorts in my bagdrop but they werent required.  Probably the best cycling purchase I have made recently & fully justifying the cost.

My most vivid memories -

- the lentil soup with a whole sausage sticking out either side of it at Nauen (only in Germany)
- bodachs "see you jimmy" hat (thank f**k he gave that away as a present to Heino). 
- arriving in messinghausen Sunday night to find that I had develpoed trench hand.
- beers and dinner and more beers in Messinghassen with jack and sabine on Monday night.
- crossing the elbe on the final day
- George's heroes arrival in the sunshine at Grosshandsorf on Thursday.   

Graeme

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #351 on: 23 August, 2010, 05:46:52 pm »
Does anyone know what's happened to the set of foties that Lars posted on flickr?
here you can find some other pictures some of us made during hbkh: Hamburg-Berlin-Köln - a set on Flickr
There were lots of great shots, especially of the first day, but they seem to have disappeared, except for the Dudelsacks serenading pingu. .  ???
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #352 on: 23 August, 2010, 06:20:41 pm »
Does anyone know what's happened to the set of foties that Lars posted on flickr?
here you can find some other pictures some of us made during hbkh: Hamburg-Berlin-Köln - a set on Flickr
There were lots of great shots, especially of the first day, but they seem to have disappeared, except for the Dudelsacks serenading pingu. .  ???

Monica or Lars seem to have uploaded a load of pics today but they're not a pro user so have limited space.

Randy Famosa

« Reply #353 on: 23 August, 2010, 06:23:57 pm »
Unfortunately that's true, we do not have a Pro account. I placed them back in Flickr, just another URL.

Hamburg-Berlin-Koeln-Hamburg | Facebook

Please let me know if it works,
MacBady

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #354 on: 23 August, 2010, 06:44:07 pm »
Seems to be OK  :thumbsup: Though I had to use Mrs P's account to see them - now I know what she's been up to  :o

;)

« Reply #355 on: 23 August, 2010, 08:17:51 pm »

The event was sooo wet = torrential rain each day and it was cold too. 

When I stripped down my wheels today -  the wasser was still coming out of the rims :-\

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #356 on: 23 August, 2010, 09:00:26 pm »
Unfortunately that's true, we do not have a Pro account. I placed the whole set on Facebook, hope you can see them, if not I will try something else:

Hamburg-Berlin-Koeln-Hamburg | Facebook

Please let me know if it works,
MacBady
:thumbsup:
Thanks, great foties Randy and MacBady. I had to join facebook to see them.
What's that all about then?  ???

You guys were great, as were all of you clubmates. Thank you all for a great experience. If you fancy doing a short audax in Scotland next year, we would love to have you here for the Snow Roads.  :)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #357 on: 23 August, 2010, 09:16:01 pm »

When I stripped down my wheels today -  the wasser was still coming out of the rims :-\

I bet that's not the first time you've had water coming out of your rim.

« Reply #358 on: 23 August, 2010, 09:57:44 pm »
What's this man going to be like when he gets his new bike??  :)

Quite an odd place for a break, isn't it? Seems well away from any braze-ons. Not that there are too many of those on the bike anyway...

Similar break on a frame a few years ago - down tube assembled wrong way round, so long bit of butting that should be at the top to hold all brazings was at bottom, short bit of butting at top so braze-ons on thin bit of tube - explanation by framebuilder of note (Charlie Ralph of Alves Cycles) - thorny subject completely refuted by manufacturer a (J ans 2S's) - "crash damage" - "no we won't give you a discount on a replacement frame, that one was 18 months old" - guess where I get my bikes from now?
However - George's may have been suffering from a pre-war rust infection. Does anyone know the size of frame he uses?

Randy Famosa

« Reply #359 on: 23 August, 2010, 09:59:01 pm »
Hi,

the pics are now back to where they belong in Flickr:

Hamburg-Berlin-Köln - a set on Flickr

Enjoy!

« Reply #360 on: 24 August, 2010, 09:08:56 am »

I bet that's not the first time you've had water coming out of your rim.

yeh! the water was running out after the 2007 PBP - I think it mainly happens with open pro rims, and very heavy rain.

« Reply #361 on: 24 August, 2010, 09:16:30 am »

However - George's may have been suffering from a pre-war rust infection. Does anyone know the size of frame he uses?
[/quote]

George's frame is from the 1970's and he had problems with the down tube during a 24 hour race a nimber of years ago (one out of about 50x 24 hour races that he has done)

The down tube had been a replacement, so it was not the original. 

I think George's frame is a 20.5inch 

« Reply #362 on: 24 August, 2010, 10:37:55 pm »

I think George's frame is a 20.5inch  

Thanks otherdave I may have a tasty yellow job in the shed that Mrs e-a will not use, I'll contact the "McN" whenI get home. :)

Randy Famosa

« Reply #363 on: 25 August, 2010, 08:06:58 pm »
Hi,

some more pics from the HBKH from Felix. The link is on the German Audax Webpage, or here:

Fotoalbum von Felix Hertlein

Cheers,
MacBady

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #364 on: 25 August, 2010, 08:43:20 pm »
Hi sportfans,
The links take me direct to the Arcor homepage. I can't find the HBHK - Felix ones in there, but thanks for some, ahem, "interesting" photos.  O:-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #365 on: 25 August, 2010, 08:53:27 pm »
Yebbut I isn't interested in gurls'  busties...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #366 on: 25 August, 2010, 09:56:20 pm »
I say!  :o
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #367 on: 25 August, 2010, 11:01:24 pm »
Oo-er. Don't remember seeing any of that  :o

Randy Famosa

« Reply #368 on: 26 August, 2010, 07:39:23 am »
Hi,

just checked the Audax page, the link works, but apparently only with Firefox browser. I'm a Mac user, and Safari sends me to the fancy Arcor page you also stubled to; Firefox will send me to Felix' pics. That's funky.
Felix' blog (in German) with the link is here:

H-B-K | Audax Club Schleswig Holstein von 2000 e.V.

I sent him a note, pehaps he will check the link later.

Cheers,
MacBady

« Reply #369 on: 26 August, 2010, 07:51:24 am »
Petra seems to have got so wet during the event that she's had to take all her clothes off.... :o ;)

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #370 on: 26 August, 2010, 09:19:06 am »
Petra seems to have got so wet during the event that she's had to take all her clothes off.... :o ;)
Well, you may be closer to the truth than you realise. Just ask bodach about the unisex shower at, I think, Ditfurt.  :-X

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #371 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:33:11 am »
Try this.

Randy Famosa

« Reply #372 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:44:25 am »
Hi Pingu,

it only works if I use Firefox. Same fancy pics with other browsers.
What browser do you use?

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #373 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:49:20 am »
Try this.
:thumbsup:
Pic 41, taken at Nauen, is interesting:
It looks like you can't decide whether to turn right into the control, or just go straight to the car park and hang your bike on the red Honda Jazz.  :'(

Quote of the ride: Pingu - after his tumble on the level crossing: "As I lay on the ground, the looks on your faces told me: You're fucked."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #374 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:56:06 am »
Obligatory Iddu loon picture:

Arcor Fotoalbum
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles