Author Topic: WessexSR2017  (Read 37432 times)

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
WessexSR2017
« on: 10 November, 2016, 10:54:13 am »
Just a note to advise that the AUK calender in Arrivée has the wrong date for the Porkers 400.
The day for the start is Sunday 30th April not 7th May.
My fault entirely for the error and not recognised before going to press. :facepalm:
Apologies for any confusion.
Entrants already received have been notified seperately.
WessexSR Series 2017 dates are:
hard boiled 8 April
Dorset Coast 9 April
Porkers 30 April
Brimstone 27 May

Re: WessexSR2017
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2016, 11:27:10 am »
Ah ... here we go again  ;D

Can't wait - so much so, I'll have to get a perm in before the end of the year.

« Reply #2 on: 10 December, 2016, 08:42:57 pm »
Anyone up for a sort of Brevet Cymru / Porkers combo in 2017 ... ?

I know Brevet Cymru isn't officially on next year, but there's a suspiciously similar ride on at the same time (Richie Tout's 'Bryan Chapman's Wales Warm-Up').

Anyone fancy that combo ?

« Reply #3 on: 10 December, 2016, 10:15:00 pm »
Is there a Wessex SR badge?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2016, 11:32:41 pm »

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2017, 07:44:52 pm »
Two bits of new local info that might be of intrest to prospective Wessex SRs this year:

there's a new Travelodge just opened right across the road from the station; and

Axminster now has a costa coffee here: http://bit.ly/2iXtgFT

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2017, 08:12:55 pm »
:-\ Last few days to enter hard boiled 300. :-\

:) Travel docs posted out today to those already in. Should arrive early next week if not before. :)

:o Some slight adjustments to the route for 2017. :facepalm:

:thumbsup: Gonna be a wheely great weekend for those looking to do the Dorset Coast as well.  :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2017, 08:52:31 pm »
Surely a "grate" weekend?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2017, 08:53:42 pm »
Two bits of new local info that might be of intrest to prospective Wessex SRs this year:

there's a new Travelodge just opened right across the road from the station; and

Axminster now has a costa coffee here: http://bit.ly/2iXtgFT

istr that the crummy cafe used in Axminister wasn't too bad!  Is Costa even better?

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:31:55 pm »
Lots of the Pompey riders are down for the Hard boiled and Dorset Coast combo. (not me, Dorset Coast will be sufficient thank you very much!)
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:38:39 pm »
Can't wait to get started .... freezing at 2 a.m. in a railway station car park. Sweet !  ;D

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2017, 09:53:03 pm »
I've just posted my entry for the hard boiled today. I hope I'm not too late.

Not sure where to park, or when/where to sleep before the event. Not sure I'm going to like a 2am start time, but I'll give it a try.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 23 March, 2017, 07:12:59 am »

Not sure where to park, or when/where to sleep before the event. Not sure I'm going to like a 2am start time, but I'll give it a try.  :thumbsup:

ECE it & you needn't worry about car parking or sleep  ;)

« Reply #13 on: 23 March, 2017, 12:45:14 pm »
HB / DC double and Brimstone entries have gone in. Busy doing other riding on the Porkers weekend unfortunately, so will have to perm that later in the year.

My parking recommendation is on the street next to Hamworthy Park (where the WuZe started incidentally) and ride the mile and a half over the bridge to the train station. Parking anywhere closer on the town side of the bridge might be possible but will be a right faff to find without paying.

Seeya all at silly o'clock on the 8th. :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 23 March, 2017, 12:55:04 pm »

I did a 2am start on Fairies flattest 300km and it was fine for me as I got to sleep at 8pm and woke up at 12am to get to the start in time by car. I wouldn't want to do it TOO many times! Was nice to finish at 5pm which won't be the the case for everyone with all them hills?

« Reply #15 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:23:46 pm »
I got to sleep at 8pm and woke up at 12am

That's my plan for the Friday night. I've got the Travelodge booked for Friday and Saturday nights. Aiming for 4 hours sleep on the Friday night.

The Travelodge has free parking, but its limited. The Hamworthy Park suggestion sounds like a good alternative.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #16 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:25:09 pm »
I got to sleep at 8pm and woke up at 12am

That's my plan for the Friday night. I've got the Travelodge booked for Friday and Saturday nights. Aiming for 4 hours sleep on the Friday night.

The Travelodge has free parking, but its limited. The Hamworthy Park suggestion sounds like a good alternative.

I found that when the sun came up (finally!) it was a great lift and boosted me for the rest of the day... something nice about seeing a sunrise on a bike.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #17 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:57:21 pm »
I found that when the sun came up (finally!) it was a great lift and boosted me for the rest of the day... something nice about seeing a sunrise on a bike.

Thanks for the encouragement, Sefi! Having done some winter 200s I know that sunrise feeling and it is great. I'm just not great with sleep at the best of times, so we'll see how it goes.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2017, 06:52:39 pm »

My parking recommendation is on the street next to Hamworthy Park (where the WuZe started incidentally)

Thanks Paul ...that just gave me instant post traumatic flash backs to probably the hardest ride I have ever done   ;)
appearing in a tea room near you

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2017, 08:12:19 pm »

I did a 2am start on Fairies flattest 300km and it was fine for me

fail to see what connection this has with the Hard Boiled.... ;D

« Reply #20 on: 25 March, 2017, 08:40:43 am »
What exactly is/was the Wuze ? Porkers in disguise ... ?

WessexSR excitement building here. With HB ony two weeks away, the route sheet having arrived and the sun starting to appear more regularly, I'm starting to wish the next two weeks away ...

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #21 on: 27 March, 2017, 12:23:41 pm »

The Wu'ze was a one off 400 run by Shawn back in 2010:

"Considering the time of year and with the most demanding part of the ride being after dark it seems appropriate that the event be named after the scary horn'd beast of the night that was used to instill 'respect' into generations of Dorset folk. "

you can still find the yacf thread if search on wu'ze.    I've just re-read my post ride posting:

the Wu'ze ...less of a ride more of a life changing experience .....that'll teach me to punch above my weight and go out and play with the big boys! It's all Hummers' fault ....ever since his Wessex SR epiphany he has been trying to lure the members of the Faccomb4 into this ancient west country cult! Out of the 4 of us only myself and Lee were too weak to resist the temptation. I now face months of therapy and rehabilitation to overcome the post traumatic shock of stage3 & 4 before i can even contemplate a 50k Populaire in the New Forest.  It's a ride that lived upto to all my expectations ....it was hilly, it was hard, the route was superb, the views worth the climbing, the descents hair-raising, the support superb. We weren't very fast and the timing was tight for the end but we made it ....and it really did feel like an achievment.  Many thanks to Shawn for organising such a superb event and to Hummers fo the motivational PMs!

As for a highlight then it has to be arriving at the haven of Springfield house just as dawn was breaking. It was the perfect end to a night of being chased by the Wu'ze through the lanes and over the hills, only just keeping out of it's grasp. What better way could there be to shake off the night terrors than to sit in the cosey kitchen and have your breakfast cooked for you by Drew and to have Margaret hold your hand and tell you it will all be alright!

It's can't have put me off completely as I went on to do the Wessex SR in 2013 and have signed up for the SR again this year!
appearing in a tea room near you

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #22 on: 27 March, 2017, 01:31:36 pm »
Thanks, Chillmoister for the reminder about the Wuze. Can't believe it was so long ago...seems like yesterday. My first attempt at a Wessex Ride. Flashback to  Garmin sat nav problems (due to my inexperience) in the depths of the night... Then losing touch with the other riders due to getting lost. :facepalm: Eventually I gave up and cycled a direct route back to the start and some commiserations from Shawn. He even sent me a nice certificate in the post because I hadn't given up entirely.

After that I was hooked and have completed all of the other Wessex rides I entered.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #23 on: 27 March, 2017, 07:40:22 pm »

"Considering the time of year and with the most demanding part of the ride being after dark it seems appropriate that the event be named after the scary horn'd beast of the night that was used to instill 'respect' into generations of Dorset folk. "

Thanks for the info, Chillmoister. Now I'm wondering what the route was ... Sounds like a typically challenging Wessex ride!

« Reply #24 on: 27 March, 2017, 09:30:50 pm »

Thanks for the info, Chillmoister. Now I'm wondering what the route was ... Sounds like a typically challenging Wessex ride!

Just checked, I've still got the GPS files and other stuff. PM me you email address and I'll send it over.