Author Topic: WessexSR2017  (Read 37600 times)

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
Re: WessexSR2017
« Reply #200 on: 22 April, 2018, 08:02:23 am »
Porkers 400

Entry now closed. Entries received are acknowledged by email or text and are listed on webpage.

:thumbsup: Porkers 2018 route available for download from website as PDF(A5&A6) and single GPX track.

O:-) Any recommendations for a reliable reasonably priced (or free) webhosting facility will be appreciated (TalkTalk's revised business profile ceases to include free webhosting in their plans as of July and I need to migrate the WessexSR website sometime soon). O:-)

« Reply #201 on: 22 April, 2018, 10:59:10 am »
Porkers 400
 O:-) Any recommendations for a reliable reasonably priced (or free) webhosting facility will be appreciated (TalkTalk's revised business profile ceases to include free webhosting in their plans as of July and I need to migrate the WessexSR website sometime soon). O:-)

Is it a static site, ie just html/static assets and no database serving content?
You could throw it all in an AWS S3 bucket and probably fall in their free-tier level.
No need to worry about web servers and hosts then.

WyOwyvern

« Reply #202 on: 22 April, 2018, 06:11:01 pm »
Yes hippy, Static (just html and pdf & GPX downloads)

After that you lost me. AWS S3 bucket? I'll google and see. Thanks for the suggestion  :thumbsup:

Amazon Web Service: Got it: OK I'll investigate  8)

« Reply #203 on: 22 April, 2018, 06:19:47 pm »
https://aws.amazon.com/s3/

It's basically an object store (imagine it as an FTP site) that can also act as a webserver.

Another option that might be easier to set up (I already use AWS so it'd be simple for me) is Google Sites?
https://sites.google.com/

WyOwyvern

« Reply #204 on: 23 April, 2018, 11:02:37 pm »
 :thumbsup: Just a line to say Webhost position now resolved. Thanks to all who offered thoughts  both on and off YACF :thumbsup:

The 2018 Route sheets were posted out to entrants today.  :smug:

See you on the 6th  8)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #205 on: 29 April, 2018, 03:39:13 pm »

So for the Porkers 400, much as usual, be prepared for anything.  ;)

Fake news attached? Or can I leave the crampons at home?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #206 on: 29 April, 2018, 05:04:02 pm »
There's a Guardian article today entitled: "Floods, gales and even snow forecast for UK ahead of May Day"

It goes on to say, "Met Office issues yellow rain and wind warning for London and much of east and south-east".

Obviously Porkers does not take place in that region, and it's over a week away, but I wouldn't out the crampons away just yet Smeth ;-)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #207 on: 30 April, 2018, 08:11:25 am »
Snorkels at dawn?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #208 on: 30 April, 2018, 08:26:18 am »
There's a Guardian article today entitled: "Floods, gales and even snow forecast for UK ahead of May Day"

It goes on to say, "Met Office issues yellow rain and wind warning for London and much of east and south-east".

Obviously Porkers does not take place in that region, and it's over a week away, but I wouldn't out the crampons away just yet Smeth ;-)

By May day they mean tomorrow, not the bank holiday on the 7th... so yes, they are talking about today, not next weekend

« Reply #209 on: 30 April, 2018, 08:39:40 am »
D'oh ! Of course they do.

I'm sure Porkers will take place in its usual sub-tropical conditions next weekend ... clear sunny skies, balmy overnight temperatures and a warm southerly breeze helping us all on our way.

But maybe I just dreamt that.

« Reply #210 on: 30 April, 2018, 06:35:58 pm »
Hi
Is anyone else having problems using the porker 2018 GPX link? I click on it but I get sent to a page showing all the code, rather than getting the option to download the file?

Smeth

« Reply #211 on: 30 April, 2018, 06:48:38 pm »
Works for me. I'm using the little grey link box on this page...
http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/Porkers2018.html

If no good I stuck it directly here...

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27371013

BTW the bit around the "Crickets" sure ain't flat like the profile, it's a little glitch. I recall Postie driving relentlessly up a never ending drag last year. He probably didn't notice.

« Reply #212 on: 30 April, 2018, 07:27:36 pm »
Cheers Smeth- your link worked a treat

WyOwyvern

« Reply #213 on: 04 May, 2018, 12:08:03 am »
With Dave of Crockerton encouraging new directions and new excitement Brimstone will be going back to old ways.  ???
The route changed to take in the ambience of Shearwater Lake environs but was perhaps overshadowed by the main road to Stourhead. :-\
Many riders will not remember the original route tho' Postie may become dewy eyed over his Wednesday evening pint with rising nostalgia.  8)

Old roads for new age riders with fresh scenery and far reaching views. Enjoyably remaining very Wessex. :thumbsup:

Our revised control point will be at Mere, 151km into the ride. Overall, distance is the same: climbing is the same, 7.5AAA pts.   ;D

Smeth

« Reply #214 on: 04 May, 2018, 08:23:15 am »
As per that bit of the Hellfire Perm through Monkton Deverill? Grand.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #215 on: 04 May, 2018, 02:06:38 pm »
Shawn, you have such a way with prose that I almost feel tempted to sign up for more Wessex adventures .....almost!  However I'm sure that at some point in the future you, as the last of the great Wessex Romantics, will conjur up such rose tinted delights that I will be unable to resist!   ;D
appearing in a tea room near you

WyOwyvern

« Reply #216 on: 04 May, 2018, 06:35:42 pm »
Thank you for your kind words,  :-[ I look forward to your return in the fullness of time . . .  :)

Meanwhile a plea  ::-)

Brimstone  :-\ 26th May  :-\

1st Control at Amport:  needed: a person of erudite bent to record our knights errant of the way passing through.  ???

So, please, if there is a willing helper with a couple of hours to spare in the Andover area who would like to take breakfast at The Hawk and exchange banter with the riders, perhaps he/she would be kind enough to contact me. Cheers.  :thumbsup:

WyOwyvern

« Reply #217 on: 04 May, 2018, 06:54:03 pm »
 8)
Noting Gadgets difficulty with the GPS download. Some browsers open the file directly and you receive a comma separated version that is the spreadsheet detail. Save that file (Ctrl+S keys on PC) and you will have the gpx file saved in your download folder.
In some browsers the pdf files go straight to your download folder without the open/save option too. Looks like nothing has happened and repeated clicking will place multiple files into you download folder.
 8)

WyOwyvern

« Reply #218 on: 04 May, 2018, 10:11:53 pm »
Amport now resolved: many thanks  :thumbsup:

WyOwyvern

« Reply #219 on: 07 May, 2018, 07:53:22 am »
Day Two of Porkers and all are accounted for.  :thumbsup:
8) Now spread across the revised route on their way to Nunney Catch: hope they find it 'interesting'. 8)
For today the rashest of the 'rasher randoneurs' have found their frontier  :facepalm: : looking now for the 22 to complete (and no sun baked crackling!)  8)
Now for a day in the Park . . .  :)

WyOwyvern

« Reply #220 on: 07 May, 2018, 07:43:27 pm »
Porkers 400
:thumbsup: 22 returned  :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: 16 presented completed Brevet Cards  :thumbsup:
 ??? 6 are trusting that the controller who marked the card put a time on their record sheet  ??? :facepalm: :-[ :'(
 8) Whistle a happy tune . . .  :demon: I expect they did . . .  :demon: and yet . . .  :demon:

« Reply #221 on: 08 May, 2018, 08:20:30 am »
Another cracking Porkers !

Thanks for organising, Shawn - and thanks to all the volunteers who make Porkers so special.

It's always a highlight of the year, but this year's weather was incredible too. Perfect riding conditions. Amazing - and so 'unWessex' if you know what I mean.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #222 on: 08 May, 2018, 09:43:04 am »
I'd also like to say thankyou for a cracking weekend, and some tan lines across my face that will make me the envy of all that witness them.

Having come incredibly close to packing at Beaminster control, I'm so glad the 6 currant buns sorted me out enough and I carried on and finished.

Being my first 400, I have nowt to compare it too, but I found it was hard in places but gave enough to recover. The controls came just at the right time, and the food was delicious and well appreciated every time. Quite openly I am a broken man today, but not as broken as I feared I might be. 

I owe a massive thankyou to the handful of people I rode with on and off, in particular Justin, Gadget and Simon (ACHs newest recruit?!). I had quite a feeling of overwhelmedness (possibly a made up word, I'm unsure!) going into this and up to Beaminster control. There were some major players riding, some serious riders, and I, some Johnny-come-lately, come rocking up on my fixie with handmade saddlebag. Its the camaraderie and welcome attitude of all the riders as well as the route that makes the ride I think. Although the ride has taken a lot out of me, I've learnt a fair bit from it, and it's certainly my favourite ride I've done so far

It is such a beautiful part of the world and I'm grateful to have been shown around. I can't wait for next installment.
Rule 77

Smeth

« Reply #223 on: 08 May, 2018, 10:14:50 am »
Thanks Shawn and all the wonderful helpers. Even more glorious than usual with far reaching views. What a dawn over Bulbarrow. Hedgerows formerly held back by cold now exploding into colour with the ever present wild garlic, plus blubells, red campion, and many others. Hooting owls,  crying foxes, a few badgers reported.
Rising this morning with whole body aching but looking forward to Brimstone.

« Reply #224 on: 08 May, 2018, 12:52:20 pm »
Almost certainly forgot details on my card. I was in such a hurry to get the car out of the carpark. Sorry.

Epic weekend for cycling. Beautiful scenery down there - don't really know why I've not headed south more often. Thanks Shawn/orgs, the volunteers and other riders for making it a cracking day/night on the bike.

My left knee has asked for a triple though...