Author Topic: WessexSR2017  (Read 37429 times)

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
Re: WessexSR2017
« Reply #25 on: 28 March, 2017, 08:15:55 pm »
2017 hard boiled 300
** Entry is now closed.**

Interest seems to heightening in the 2010 Wessex event The Wu'ze

I've tidied up the old site a bit www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/Wu'ze for those who would like to experience eerie Wessex either alone or in a group DIY through Tony Hull the DIY sec.

« Reply #26 on: 03 April, 2017, 08:48:39 am »
Long range weather forecast for the Hard Boiled / Dorset Coast weekend is sunshine and a light to gentle easterly wind. Given the option to 'twist' or 'stick', I think I'd go for 'stick'.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #27 on: 03 April, 2017, 11:15:04 am »
... a light to gentle easterly wind...

Yeah, headwind for the return legs both days. The Roman Road is particular soul-destroying lovely with an easterly. What's not to like? :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 03 April, 2017, 12:34:57 pm »

Yeah, headwind for the return legs both days. The Roman Road is particular soul-destroying lovely with an easterly. What's not to like? :thumbsup:

I was hoping the undulating nature of the return leg would make the wind less impactful, but maybe my assumption was a bit wide of the mark.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #29 on: 03 April, 2017, 02:33:41 pm »

I was hoping the undulating nature of the return leg would make the wind less impactful, but maybe my assumption was a bit wide of the mark.

Nope, that's correct for the hardboiled: nothing quite like a cliff face for sheltering you from the wind  :) ...Paul is talking about the delights awaiting on Sunday on the Dorset Coast pedalling off Eggardon Hill towards Dorchester.

« Reply #30 on: 07 April, 2017, 07:17:31 pm »
One Wessex virgin starting his campaign for the Wessex SR later. I'm up for the double this weekend to kick things off. Spot tracker will be live @ 2am: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=034BCID6aIhhH2RZrcctZO4t3jOoJ8hPd

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #31 on: 07 April, 2017, 09:43:32 pm »
One Wessex virgin starting his campaign for the Wessex SR later. I'm up for the double this weekend to kick things off. Spot tracker will be live @ 2am: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=034BCID6aIhhH2RZrcctZO4t3jOoJ8hPd
:thumbsup:

...it's looking pretty much perfect weather out there, just off to try and get some sleep before heading over to Poole – see you at the station!

PS- I'll have my tracker on too - with dots being put on the map here: http://bit.ly/27Z5BcZ

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #32 on: 08 April, 2017, 05:52:16 am »
If it's this nice it ain't Wessex.  :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

cgg

« Reply #33 on: 09 April, 2017, 08:33:32 am »
If it's this nice it ain't Wessex.  :facepalm:

One of my thought yesterday after getting round was what a miserable experience it must be in the rain. Well, yesterday was perfect on all accounts. What a ride! Thanks Shawn  :)

Not sure if sad or relieved that I didn't realize riding the 200 was meant to be ridden the day after  ::-)

WyOwyvern

« Reply #34 on: 09 April, 2017, 11:15:42 am »
PS- I'll have my tracker on too - with dots being put on the map here: http://bit.ly/27Z5BcZ

Statistics for the 2017 hard boiled 300:
50 entries  :thumbsup:
4 DNS  :hand:
6 DNF  :facepalm:
4 finishers had their times complete on their brevet card. (Using the useful electrickery-wizbang-ooh-nice gadget above 5 cards are now complete)  :thumbsup:
35 returnees had a nice day out on the bike.  :o No doubt we will get more times when the rider sheets are returned from the controllers :D . . . hopefully ;) . . . if they do :-\ . . . with luck  :(. Hmm  ???.
Further bulletins in due course

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #35 on: 09 April, 2017, 12:31:09 pm »
Absolutely amazing day out on the bike, thanks Shawn. The controls were all brilliant too. Especially Cattistock – all the tea/coffee cake you want for £5 :thumbsup:

My photos here:
...http://bit.ly/2nQtwIA

The mists on Salisbury Plain, and the bluebells, primroses, violets... and of course the sunshine. all very memorable.

« Reply #36 on: 09 April, 2017, 07:13:55 pm »
The mists on Salisbury Plain

:thumbsup: Very Nice

« Reply #37 on: 09 April, 2017, 08:22:20 pm »
What a ride that was !

Thanks Shawn - if you book the same weather for Porkers this year, I'd be most grateful.  ;D

I saw three swallows, a swift and a house martin during the ride. That makes a summer - right ?

« Reply #38 on: 09 April, 2017, 09:30:36 pm »
What a weekend,  best weather i can remember for the hardboiled and Dorset coast weekend. Thanks to shawn and pete for two great rides.

Well done to the other 8 members of audax club Portsmouth,who completed the double👍some of them doing there first 200km and 300km rides.(we breed them tough).

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #39 on: 10 April, 2017, 11:13:05 am »
Thanks Shawn ....such a rewarding ride; it really was as hard as I remember for 2013! The route is challenging but sublime, the perfect combination.  One thing, plesse can we turn the Wessex thermostat up a few degrees for the night section next time! With the Dorset Coast completed as well it made for the perfect weekend awheel with the Audax Club Portsmouth clan and other familiar faces!! :thumbsup:
appearing in a tea room near you

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #40 on: 11 April, 2017, 07:01:12 pm »
The results of the Hardboiled are now officially provisionally in  O:-) :thumbsup::

http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/WSR%20UPDATE.html

:thumbsup:
appearing in a tea room near you

WyOwyvern

« Reply #41 on: 12 April, 2017, 09:12:29 am »
Results are provisional and not with AUK yet as awaiting the time sheets from the control points.
Axminster responded yesterday and the times back to Poole from there varied between 5h 38m and 7h 42m for the 97km.
26 riders took longer than 6h 30m. These are arrival times and do not truly reflect the average speed as the time at the two stops at Axminster and Cattistock is included.
8 riders took less than 6hrs.
Patiently awaiting time sheets from Amesbury, Ascott and Cattistock  :-\; hopefully in the post today  :) . . . and then provisional should become actual  :thumbsup:
Further bulletins in due course.

cgg

« Reply #42 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:23:32 am »
So while perusing the AUK calendar, I came to realize the Porkers 400 starts on the 30th of April at 14:00. While the London-Wales-London, for which I'm signed up, has its cut-off time the same day at 09:00. Meaning... train tickets are bought, and entry will be send today at lunch break  :D :facepalm:

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #43 on: 12 April, 2017, 02:33:29 pm »
So while perusing the AUK calendar, I came to realize the Porkers 400 starts on the 30th of April at 14:00. While the London-Wales-London, for which I'm signed up, has its cut-off time the same day at 09:00. Meaning... train tickets are bought, and entry will be send today at lunch break  :D :facepalm:
Sleep is for wimps, right?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

cgg

« Reply #44 on: 12 April, 2017, 04:54:29 pm »
There will be plenty of time for a nice kip between the two rides :) I'm more worried about the legs not being up for it. I'll have to make sure I'm not over-doing it on LWL!

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #45 on: 18 April, 2017, 09:50:53 am »
hi,
I'm afraid I've got to head off on my travels for work on Sunday so will miss the calendar Porkers this year  :-[ ...I've got a Porkers Perm Card in the drawer, so Shawn has said I can do that instead on Friday/Saturday... so at the moment that's the plan. See everyone for the Brimstone.

« Reply #46 on: 20 April, 2017, 09:26:03 pm »
This might be the wrong place to ask, but can the Hellfire be done as a DIY by GPS? It's the same as the Brimstone 600k, right, which has GPX files provided?

Cheers!

« Reply #47 on: 20 April, 2017, 10:28:46 pm »
This might be the wrong place to ask, but can the Hellfire be done as a DIY by GPS? It's the same as the Brimstone 600k, right, which has GPX files provided?

Cheers!

As you probably be training replace with 'for beer' where required.

http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/b6route.htm

« Reply #48 on: 20 April, 2017, 10:31:07 pm »

Cheers!

Nope - it's not the same. There are specific route sheet and gpx files for it.

Why do it as GPS DIY when Shawn can provide a thoroughly well thought-out perm route sheet and gpx files ? And not forgetting the magnificent brevet card itself of course !

« Reply #49 on: 20 April, 2017, 10:37:36 pm »
Nope - it's not the same. There are specific route sheet and gpx files for it.

Why do it as GPS DIY when Shawn can provide a thoroughly well thought-out perm route sheet and gpx files ? And not forgetting the magnificent brevet card itself of course !

Ah, well I'd consider either of them if they're different.

I don't use route sheets so I'm not sure what the difference is between a Perm vs. DIY by GPS other than having to stop for receipts, which I'd prefer not to have to do when not necessary.