Author Topic: WessexSR2017  (Read 37435 times)

chillmoister

• King of Compton
Re: WessexSR2017
« Reply #150 on: 03 January, 2018, 04:34:15 pm »
Controller of the year 2017 by more then a mile.
I forgot to ask his name every time I saw him. Is the most lovely gentleman YACF?
Thank you all the other volunteers on the Porkers and Brimstone as well.

The inimitable Tonyh of this forum, also our friendly regional DIY Org. A scholar and a gentleman.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I'd second that  :thumbsup:
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #151 on: 07 March, 2018, 12:29:45 pm »
It's that time again folks ... WessexSR 2018 ...

The Hard Boiled is just over 2 weeks away, and who knows, what with the weather improving every day, it's bound to be as warm and sunny as last year's edition - isn't it ?

« Reply #152 on: 07 March, 2018, 04:47:27 pm »
The Hard Boiled...bound to be as warm and sunny as last year's edition - isn't it ?

Minus 2°C on Salisbury Plain at dawn is probably a given unless it's tipping it down, right?

« Reply #153 on: 07 March, 2018, 04:49:30 pm »
The Hard Boiled...bound to be as warm and sunny as last year's edition - isn't it ?

Minus 2°C on Salisbury Plain at dawn is probably a given unless it's tipping it down, right?

I fondly remember me frozen biddons on arrival at the first control!!  :o

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #154 on: 07 March, 2018, 06:10:38 pm »
Those fast frosty descents over the Plain.... I recall a not very silent scream dropping in to Chitterne. Trying to get "aero" just to protect the vital organs.

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #155 on: 07 March, 2018, 06:51:15 pm »
Almost entry closing time for HB300, just a few days left.

New control in Amesbury to look forward too but otherwise much the same gentle stroll through the first 180km or so.

Many wonders to behold,  much joy to be had, copious measures of glorious elevation to thrill the inner adventurer awaits the Audaxer in Wessex.

Come on down!

Entry CLOSES this weekend.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #156 on: 09 March, 2018, 04:59:31 pm »
No HB for me this year, but planning the Porkers.  Had plenty of frozen bidon experience last week in NL, -8C at 10pm, bone dry roads, could turn half full drink bottle upside down and nothing moved.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #157 on: 12 March, 2018, 03:59:29 pm »
Look forward to the HB 300 followed by Dorset Coast 200

WyOwyvern

« Reply #158 on: 19 March, 2018, 03:02:35 pm »
Thanks to that nice chap Dave at Crockerton getting prissie last year (we are officially no longer welcome) Porkers moves on.  ;D
Being made welcome has it's draw backs: rides can stagnate and riders become blazé, familiar and perhaps contemptuous.  ::-)  My lazy loyalty costs. :facepalm:
Dave prompts us to be adventurous: to strike out to new lanes and inspect more tractor scrubbed paths: to take in new villages, green, and golden stoned: to go through farms of rusted rustic bruin liberally rapt in the aroma of exhausted cud. Good old Dave!  :thumbsup:
New phases have been formulated, crafted and polished.  :thumbsup:
Statistically there be 5 added km and more ups and downs. Some massif central will be sadly missed but there is still the fun filled continuity of getting to Corscombe and crossing the valleys there after.  :thumbsup:
Riders will notice the gut wrenching climbs of the past few years have been replaced.  :thumbsup: A few km of proper road has been a necessary evil, but Porkers remains the adventure, the challenge, the daring-to-do for exploring AUKs.  ???  8)  :demon:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #159 on: 19 March, 2018, 03:55:36 pm »
You take that rebuff with much grace, dignity and humour, though I suspect some thoughts and words remain unposted.

AUKs need to appreciate the goodwill of controls and controllers.

Please to be mindful of your demeanour, even if exhausted!

Smeth

« Reply #160 on: 19 March, 2018, 07:31:02 pm »
Looking forward to it Shawn and thanks for finding a couple of new controls for the series this year.

Meanwhile see you at 0200 on Saturday.

« Reply #161 on: 21 March, 2018, 10:06:31 am »
Scrolling forward to Sunday's Dorset Coast, to cope with the complete (ie pedestrians and cyclists as well) road closure at Uploders a revised gpx has been shared with the diversion via Powerstock shown, with amended route description 'to follow'.
Here is my (edited) take on the diversion route:
154.1km
R @ T $ Bridport (A3066)
Imm L $ Loders/WEST MILTON
5.0 L $ POWERSTOCK
0.4 R (sharp) @ X $ WHETLEY
4.1 SO @ X, $ Compton Valence
4.5 1st R (eff SO @ X) $ Dorchester
Edit: Revised routesheet just (lunchtime Wed) published: via http://www.dorsetaudax.org.uk/routes-dorset-audax/

« Reply #162 on: 23 March, 2018, 08:09:04 am »
Looks like it'll be a wet start to the Hard Boiled tonight.

No snow, ice or frost though  :thumbsup:

« Reply #163 on: 23 March, 2018, 08:37:02 am »
Here's wishing the HB Riders very well!

WyOwyvern

« Reply #164 on: 24 March, 2018, 01:51:05 pm »
We counted them out: 45. :)
Reducing steadily and by Ashcott 6 had left the fold, mostly on trains.
Brakes have worn down and bits fallen away but no accidents or other untoward occurances reported, glad to say.
At this time the field should be spread about the heights of Wessex, shaped by a kindly hand (if only the Blackdowns)
We shall go and count them back in . . . pint in hand.
All five of the ladies are still riding. :thumbsup:

Smeth

« Reply #165 on: 24 March, 2018, 09:13:09 pm »
We counted them out: 45. :)
Reducing steadily and by Ashcott 6 had left the fold, mostly on trains.
Brakes have worn down and bits fallen away but no accidents or other untoward occurances reported, glad to say.
At this time the field should be spread about the heights of Wessex, shaped by a kindly hand (if only the Blackdowns)
We shall go and count them back in . . . pint in hand.
All five of the ladies are still riding.
Have shared pint with WyOwyvern at arrivee having creamed a set of brakeblocks and replaced with spares at Axminster. Asked him if the pic attached is what he means when he says "riders will encounter gravel and fieldwash".

Stony silence

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #166 on: 25 March, 2018, 10:53:35 am »
137 riders off on the 200km this morning at 07:45, including a few surprisingly fresh looking 300km survivors, on a grey but dry and almost windless day.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #167 on: 25 March, 2018, 04:45:43 pm »
Thank you very much for yet another edition of hb Shawn
I found this one particularly tough
I'm sorry for thinning-out so sharply at Arrive and I made the train with enough time for a cheeky half as well!

Thank you to old friends and new. 

Canadian Dean Smasher - check out ACH fb for The Arrow

Very nice riding with you also Sean and your Rourkey of course.

Thank you to Morris for your company and support  and I'm sorry that I didn't say goodbye as I rushed for the train.

Best
J

« Reply #168 on: 25 March, 2018, 06:03:44 pm »
I suppose I should also express my gratitude Shawn ...
I jest. Thanks as always. The new first stop was a definite success for us. Hot food cooked and served within minutes.An already hard event was made even more of a challenge by the wet start and even more by the punctures ( 3 in my case-two of which were in the dark and rain within the first 90 minutes ) . Thanks to the Sloth for waiting to help me .
Listening to Justin eat a giant pack of cheese and onion Ringos lulled me off to sleep on the train home.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #169 on: 25 March, 2018, 06:42:59 pm »
Rumpus
Nice to have lively banter in the train carriage before our well-deserved kipingtons.
V Sorry
In the exitement, I exaggerated the number of hb rides that I had done.  I think I must have thought that you were asking me a more personal question 🤗
Best
Jonah
PS they were 'Ringos'

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #170 on: 25 March, 2018, 06:53:14 pm »
Just checked up thread.  Could have sworn you wrote Onion Rings.  The hardest ball-bustin' 300 this side of Nagasaki can do strange things to a Frazzle.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #171 on: 25 March, 2018, 09:18:58 pm »
137 riders off on the 200km this morning at 07:45, including a few surprisingly fresh looking 300km survivors, on a grey but dry and almost windless day.

Not one of the 300 (that will be a perm later on this year methinks), but thanks for 200 today. So refreshing to ride a whole 200 in daylight.

Lovely day awheel - perfect conditions - down to short sleeves at the end!

Nice riding with a chap from last week, sorry I left at Weymouth, and I assume you got round safely?

I saw a trike, a tandem, but no other fixed. Odd on such a fixed friendly route? Especially Bridport to Axminster.

Rule 77

« Reply #172 on: 25 March, 2018, 11:11:02 pm »
A few photos from the HB
...including some of Rumps mending punctures in the dark, cold, wet...& ummm filth?

WyOwyvern

« Reply #173 on: 26 March, 2018, 03:29:51 am »
Most enjoyable set of pics, thanks for posting.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #174 on: 26 March, 2018, 10:57:57 am »
Amazing day out on the DC200.

I don't remember it being that hilly.

Thanks to all the helpers and organisers.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.